Taxi calculator? (propeller type and speed, aircraft weight, taxi speed)

Old February 3rd 11, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Default Taxi calculator? (propeller type and speed, aircraft weight, taxi speed)

Is there such a calculation/formula? How can you tell what
propeller to use, how fast it should rotate, and how much weight
it can push along the ground?

Specifically... I would like to tell what sort and size of
propeller rotating at what speed, in calm air to push 100 or 200
pounds on smooth and level pavement with zero rolling resistance
to about 20 mph.

Thanks.

--
I'm sure that is a tough question for anyone except an engineer in
the field. Please feel free to remove the other groups.
Old February 5th 11, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Flaps_50!

On Feb 4, 11:55*am, John Doe wrote:
Is there such a calculation/formula? How can you tell what
propeller to use, how fast it should rotate, and how much weight
it can push along the ground?

Specifically... I would like to tell what sort and size of
propeller rotating at what speed, in calm air to push 100 or 200
pounds on smooth and level pavement with zero rolling resistance
to about 20 mph.

20 mph is too fast for taxying. What are you asking about -zero
rolling resistance????

Cheers
Old February 5th 11, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brent[_2_]

Sounds like an airboat hovercraft or some other type of propeller driven
ground effect vehicle

Actually it sounds closer to something like a skateboard with as prop motor
and a user on it. you are missing a huge amount of variables and for props,
pitch, density altitude, motors, and at speeds that slow your in the wrong
group because very few things, If Any, in any of these groups fly at that
speed.

And aircraft move slow taxiing because they are not meant to be ground
vehicles they usually have very narrow stances and high centers of gravity
compared to a ground vehicle as soon as they have any kind of airspeed they
want to fly.

Look up an RC or Aeronautical engineering group on usenet or elsewhere. you
need to find design people not pilots

Old February 5th 11, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
a[_3_]

On Feb 5, 8:56*am, "Brent" wrote:
Sounds like an airboat hovercraft or some other type of propeller driven
ground effect vehicle

Actually it sounds closer to something like a skateboard with as prop motor
and a user on it. you are missing a huge amount of variables and for props,
pitch, density altitude, motors, and at speeds that slow your in the wrong
group because very few things, If Any, in any of these groups fly at that
speed.

And aircraft move slow taxiing because they are not meant to be ground
vehicles they usually have very narrow stances and high centers of gravity
compared to a ground vehicle as soon as they have any kind of airspeed they
want to fly.

Look up an RC or Aeronautical engineering group on usenet or elsewhere. you
need to find design people not pilots

"Flaps_50!" wrote in message

On Feb 4, 11:55 am, John Doe wrote: Is there such a calculation/formula? How can you tell what
propeller to use, how fast it should rotate, and how much weight
it can push along the ground?

Specifically... I would like to tell what sort and size of
propeller rotating at what speed, in calm air to push 100 or 200
pounds on smooth and level pavement with zero rolling resistance
to about 20 mph.

20 mph is too fast for taxying. What are you asking about -zero
rolling resistance????

Cheers

To add a little to this: zero rolling resistance means all that has to
be overcome is aerodynamic drag, and one needs to know something about
the shape of what is being moved. Air weighs about 0.08 pounds a cubic
foot, you simply have to decide how long you want to take to get to
whatever speed, that will tell you the force you need. F still equals
mass times accelerations, so then for any diameter prop there is a
certain rotation speed that'll throw aft the required mass of air. The
lower limit on prop diameter will have to do with keeping the tip
speeds sub sonic, the upper limit is related to mechanical factors. I
seem to remember props in general are about 30% efficient, if that
guess is true and you need 1 horsepower delivered you'll need an
engine that produces something over 3.

Why do I feel I'm answering someone's homework question?
Old February 5th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
george

"Flaps_50!" wrote in message

On Feb 4, 11:55 am, John Doe wrote: Is there such a calculation/formula? How can you tell what
propeller to use, how fast it should rotate, and how much weight
it can push along the ground?

Specifically... I would like to tell what sort and size of
propeller rotating at what speed, in calm air to push 100 or 200
pounds on smooth and level pavement with zero rolling resistance
to about 20 mph.

20 mph is too fast for taxying. What are you asking about -zero
rolling resistance????

We taxied at 'walking pace' which meant sometimes a little faster to
make a gate or taxiway :-)

Old February 5th 11, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

a pappson gmail.com wrote:

On Feb 5, 8:56˙am, "Brent" b_phil... hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

"Flaps_50!" morefl... gmail.com wrote in message

news:fcb480ce-e285-47c4-87dc-8a9257583974 o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com...
On Feb 4, 11:55 am, John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote: Is there s

[...]

Maybe because you are a Google Groups user.
--

see also Google Groups
From: a pappson gmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.av iation.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 10:35:18 -0800 (PST)

Old February 5th 11, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

"Brent" b_philion hotmail.com wrote:

Sounds like an airboat hovercraft or some other type of propeller driven
ground effect vehicle

Actually it sounds closer to something like a skateboard with as prop motor
and a user on it. you are missing a huge amount of variables and for props,
pitch, density altitude, motors, and at speeds that slow your in the wrong
group

"that slow your" = "that show you are" ?

because very few things, If Any, in any of these groups fly at that
speed.

And aircraft move slow taxiing because they are not meant to be ground
vehicles they usually have very narrow stances and high centers of gravity
compared to a ground vehicle as soon as they have any kind of airspeed they
want to fly.

Look up an RC or Aeronautical engineering group on usenet or elsewhere. you
need to find design people not pilots

Or someone who can at least write...

From: "Brent" b_philion hotmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.av iation.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 08:56:39 -0500

Old February 5th 11, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

"Flaps_50!" moreflaps gmail.com wrote:

John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Is there such a calculation/formula? How can you tell what
propeller to use, how fast it should rotate, and how much weight
it can push along the ground?

Specifically... I would like to tell what sort and size of
propeller rotating at what speed, in calm air to push 100 or 200
pounds on smooth and level pavement with zero rolling resistance
to about 20 mph.

20 mph is too fast for taxying.

Okay then, use 10 mph.

What are you asking about -zero rolling resistance????

Providing givens is common when asking for a calculation. By
suggesting zero rolling resistance, I was trying to make it easier
or at least achievable for anyone who has a clue. The fact that
you do not have a clue is useful information, but I could have
figured that out without your babbling.
--

Cheers

see also Google Groups
From: "Flaps_50!" moreflaps gmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.av iation.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:56:54 -0800 (PST)

Old February 5th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Wilkins

On Feb 5, 3:20*pm, John Doe wrote:
"Flaps_50!" moreflaps gmail.com wrote:
What are you asking about -zero rolling resistance????

Providing givens is common when asking for a calculation. By
suggesting zero rolling resistance, I was trying to make it easier
or at least achievable for anyone who has a clue. The fact that
you do not have a clue is useful information, but I could have
figured that out without your babbling.
--

Seems like you really deserve the responses you are getting from the
mechanical experts in rec.crafts.metalworking.

Old February 5th 11, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Jim Wilkins kb1dal gmail.com wrote:

John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:
"Flaps_50!" moreflaps gmail.com wrote:

What are you asking about -zero rolling resistance????

Providing givens is common when asking for a calculation. By
suggesting zero rolling resistance, I was trying to make it
easier or at least achievable for anyone who has a clue. The
fact that you do not have a clue is useful information, but I
could have figured that out without your babbling.

Seems like you really deserve the responses you are getting from
the mechanical experts in rec.crafts.metalworking.

Definitely, in various groups. I enjoyed the replies about my most
recent bearings question. Also enjoyed some of the replies about
my recent "T-drive" question.

Some engineers fly aircraft, not all pilots are simpletons, and
others are smart enough. If someone does not know the answer to a
tough question, that does not exclude the entire group. So who
needs to know that you're an idiot?

Personally, I do not mind your babbling, but it is just noise to
anyone looking for information in the archive (assuming someday
Google Groups stops trashing the UseNet archive search). If Google
Groups makes the UseNet archive entirely useless, your babbling
will have less impact since there won't be any way to retrieve
useful information from the archive anyway.

Oh wail.
--

See also Google Groups
From: Jim Wilkins kb1dal gmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.av iation.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 13:09:25 -0800 (PST)

Taxi calculator? (propeller type and speed, aircraft weight, taxi speed) John Doe[_4_] General Aviation 0 February 3rd 11 11:55 PM
Taxi speed Hilton Piloting 21 April 10th 07 01:03 AM
Any info on WC Pye Course & Speed Calculator Jack McAdams Owning 2 June 23rd 04 03:55 PM
Any info on WC Pye Course & Speed Calculator Jack McAdams Piloting 2 June 23rd 04 03:55 PM