Seatbelt Broken: Legal to Fly?

Old August 12th 11, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lisa Smith

Default Seatbelt Broken: Legal to Fly?

An airplane has its right front seat belt broken. Is it legal to fly,
assuming nobody is sitting in the right front seat? I say no, others
say yes.

The reason I say no is that 14 CFR 91.213 (d)(2)(i) says that it is only
legal to fly with inoperative equipment if the that equipment is not
part of the VFR day type certification. I believe that seatbelts ARE
required for type certification by Part 23 (or its CAA predecessor).

Others say it is ok to defer to the next regularly scheduled inspection,
as long as nobody sits in the seat with the broken seatbelt.

Who's right?
Old August 12th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
maury

On Aug 11, 11:02*pm, Lisa Smith wrote:
An airplane has its right front seat belt broken. *Is it legal to fly,
assuming nobody is sitting in the right front seat? *I say no, others
say yes.

The reason I say no is that 14 CFR 91.213 (d)(2)(i) says that it is only
legal to fly with inoperative equipment if the that equipment is not
part of the VFR day type certification. *I believe that seatbelts ARE
required for type certification by Part 23 (or its CAA predecessor).

Others say it is ok to defer to the next regularly scheduled inspection,
as long as nobody sits in the seat with the broken seatbelt.

Who's right?

Look in the aircraft POH or operationg manual. There is a list of
equipment included. The equipment will also be indicate if it is
REQUIRED, STANDARD, or OPTIONAL. You must have at least those items
that are are marked REQUIRED.
Old August 13th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

On 8/11/2011 10:02 PM, Lisa Smith wrote:
An airplane has its right front seat belt broken. Is it legal to fly,
assuming nobody is sitting in the right front seat? I say no, others say
yes.

The reason I say no is that 14 CFR 91.213 (d)(2)(i) says that it is only
legal to fly with inoperative equipment if the that equipment is not
part of the VFR day type certification. I believe that seatbelts ARE
required for type certification by Part 23 (or its CAA predecessor).

Others say it is ok to defer to the next regularly scheduled inspection,
as long as nobody sits in the seat with the broken seatbelt.

Who's right?

I think Falk has the best response. And if he's counseling too much
caution with his "inoperative" sign - that's no skin off your nose.

Brian W
Old August 13th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Aug 11, 10:02*pm, Lisa Smith wrote:
An airplane has its right front seat belt broken. *Is it legal to fly,
assuming nobody is sitting in the right front seat? *I say no, others
say yes.

The reason I say no is that 14 CFR 91.213 (d)(2)(i) says that it is only
legal to fly with inoperative equipment if the that equipment is not
part of the VFR day type certification. *I believe that seatbelts ARE
required for type certification by Part 23 (or its CAA predecessor).

Others say it is ok to defer to the next regularly scheduled inspection,
as long as nobody sits in the seat with the broken seatbelt.

Who's right?

If it's inconvenient to get the belt repaired, I'm guessing removing
the seat and tossing it in the back seat or luggage compartment
somewhere while the airplane is flown (maybe to a repair station)
would solve that legal issue (and maybe raise new ones)..

Old August 13th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 13:38:39 -0700 (PDT), maury
wrote:

Look in the aircraft POH or operationg manual.

Would'ja show me what the POH or Ops Manual for a 1948 Stinson Reliant
looks like?

Jim

Old August 19th 11, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Russell

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 15:44:04 -0700, RST Engineering wrote in
:

Look in the aircraft POH or operationg manual.

Would'ja show me what the POH or Ops Manual for a 1948 Stinson Reliant
looks like?

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/oth...-tech/stinson-
reliant-19-a-5578.html has a link for members.
Old August 19th 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Greg Russell

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 23:02:45 -0400, Lisa Smith wrote in
:

An airplane has its right front seat belt broken. Is it legal to fly,
assuming nobody is sitting in the right front seat? I say no, others
say yes.

Mssr. Falk has provided the appropriate response to your question, I
believe.

A primary question is *why* is the belt broken? A mechanic (or preventive
maintenance owner) should determine the cause before replacing the item,
to preclude breakage again.

OLC broken ? Limus Soaring 35 April 2nd 07 12:43 AM
Has any of the seatbelt airbags saved any lives? Darkwing Piloting 0 September 8th 06 02:00 AM
seatbelt accessory tscottme Piloting 2 December 24th 04 03:54 AM
third seatbelt in 172 The Weiss Family Owning 19 May 24th 04 11:22 PM