WiFi at AirVenture (was:Does your airport WiFi?)

Old April 29th 05, 04:42 AM
Javier Henderson

(Paul Tomblin) writes:

In a previous article, "Rob" said:
exhibitors big bucks to access the networks. At the "member center"
there were a couple of rows of PCs set up for public web browsing. I

Any chance of plugging your own laptop into their network? I don't like
typing in passwords on public terminals, because of people sticking
keystroke loggers on them. If I use my laptop, all my communications will
be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.

Set up one-time passwords...

-jav
Old April 29th 05, 06:29 AM
RST Engineering

Well, sir, since I'm running for the board that will spend all this
largesse, why don't you educate me on the matter.

My numbers show a $20M income from all sources.

My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA payroll for the whole
year).

Net to the EAA is about $3M a year from the flyin.

That makes for one HELL of a lot of bratwurst in the differential.

Jim

"TaxSrv" wrote in message
news
"Jon A." wrote:
A real lowball! How about the "camping" fees. If 70% are members,
10K relates to 450 people a day. Let's assume that everyone is a
member and stays 1 day. 200,000 X 20 = 4,000,000. My guess is that
it's around $15 million in admission, camping and the rest.

The entire convention has been grossing around $9 million, including
exhibitor fees and advertising. However, gross is irrelevant, as this
is really a business venture. Whether net access is worth the cost is
a matter of whether it will bring in additional attendees, as you
implied in another post. While AirVentrure makes money, overall EAA
has been losing money in recent years, so maybe even relatively small
costs are carefully considered.

Fred F.

Old April 29th 05, 07:08 AM
Juan Jimenez

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Juan Jimenez wrote:
But to where? What part of Wittman Field?

Pick a spot. It doesn't have to cover the whole field.

WiFi will get you about a 300 ft radius, maybe a bit more if you get
fancy with the antennas. You then have to deploy an infrastructure to
which you can connect the access points. It takes money, and all for 1
week's worth? Maybe 2 if you count exhibitors, volunteers, etc.

I don't think the infrastructure is *so* expensive just to provide a hot
spot, if you don't try to cover the whole airfield. The local coffehouse
can afford it.

Which one? You can get coffee at a gazillion places at Airventure!

Personally, I bring my own brand, Wake Up The Dead. If you can see the
bottom of the cup and the spoon won't stand up unassisted, it's not coffee,
it's tea.

Old April 29th 05, 07:50 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Javier Henderson said:
(Paul Tomblin) writes:
Any chance of plugging your own laptop into their network? I don't like
typing in passwords on public terminals, because of people sticking
keystroke loggers on them. If I use my laptop, all my communications will
be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.

Set up one-time passwords...

And not be able to be able to change them back until I'm home a week
later? Somebody could do a lot of damage in a week.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But at least there is
Old April 29th 05, 08:31 AM
Peter Duniho

(Paul Tomblin) writes:
[...] If I use my laptop, all my communications will
be using ssh and nobody can sniff them.

Set up one-time passwords...

And not be able to be able to change them back until I'm home a week
later? Somebody could do a lot of damage in a week.

If I recall, PuTTY is basically a standalone program (and supports SSH).
Doesn't require any installation. You could just copy that to a thumb drive
or something, and run that on any public terminal.

It's impossible to guarantee a public terminal is completely safe, of
course, with respect to key logging or other capturing. However, there are
ways to enter passwords without actually typing them. Given the relatively
low risk of there being ANY logging installed, along with the even lower
chance that whatever logging is installed would deal with anything other
than keystrokes, IMHO the risk is reduced to no greater than someone hacking
into the system remotely with no assistance from you whatsoever (ie if it
were REALLY that important, you wouldn't allow access from the Internet at
all in the first place).

Finally, depending on the nature of the password-protected resources, you
may be able to have the password reset over the phone, so you don't have to
wait until you get home to change them. This would be true of many
financial web sites, for example.

Pete

Old April 29th 05, 12:59 PM
Jay Honeck

My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA payroll for the whole
year).

Does that figure include the museum? Or is that self-supporting?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 29th 05, 03:37 PM
TaxSrv

My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA
payroll for the whole year).

Does that figure include the museum? Or is that self-supporting?
--
Jay Honeck

The museum is a separate organization, and is the one that receives
substantial charitable gifts and bequests. It's "net income" is thus
considerable and cannot be used to subsidize the sister EAA org to
much extent, but lately EAA has consolidated the financial statements.
Whether that's to hide the losses in EAA, Jim Weir can find out at
future Board meetings. :-)

Fred F.

Old April 29th 05, 03:38 PM
Dave Butler

George Patterson wrote:
Juan Jimenez wrote:

Just pointing out that Airventure charges to get in is not a
justification for spending money on a WiFi infrastructure to be used
just 2 weeks out of the year.

For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.

That's what I was thinking, too.

What if someone had DirecWay at home and just brought their dish and receiver
and set it up beside the showers in the N40?
Old April 29th 05, 03:38 PM
TaxSrv

"RST Engineering" wrote:
Well, sir, since I'm running for the board that will spend all this
largesse, why don't you educate me on the matter.

My numbers show a $20M income from all sources.

My expenses show a $17M outflow (including all EAA
payroll for the whole year).

Net to the EAA is about $3M a year from the flyin.

That's probably about right for the fly-in itself, though their
financials on the public record don't tell you much. Their IRS tax
forms are on guidestar.org, and yes they have had overall net losses
lately. Not alarmingly large, but they no longer have relative cash
like the old days. And nothing like AOPA.

Once seated on the Board, you might see if they look much to the
future beyond the next AirVenture. In a recent Tom P. editorial,
there was a number quoted which suggests membership is in decline, and
kits are approaching 90% of amateur-built completions. With kits,
plus the internet, you no longer need much support at chapter level
like the old days. Interest in classic planes and warbirds will wane,
as younger generations age into hobby-spending. I suspect also that
EAA chapters are increasingly aging, social clubs, and their push for
light sport aircraft if successful may not change that.

Fred F.

Old April 29th 05, 03:41 PM
Dave Butler

Jay Beckman wrote:
"Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...

George Patterson Wrote:

For that short a timespan, sattelite might be the best way to go.

Can you get broadband service via satellite dish in an RV? Maybe we
could convince someone to put up a hotspot that way.

-R

Incoming, yes.
Outgoing (unless you want to spend big $$$), you need a landline.

Why is that (not disputing, just ignorant)?

Anyway, I don't think anyone is proposing setting up a server on the hotspot.

Does your airport WiFi? john smith Piloting 118 July 12th 05 03:47 PM
WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM