Flying with small kids

Old May 9th 05, 02:34 PM
Jay Honeck

That's what the CREW mode is for on the intercom.

If only we wore headsets in the car..........

Mary and I have repeatedly tried to press "Pilot Isolate" in the car...to no
avail.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 10th 05, 10:24 PM
Andrew Gideon

George Patterson wrote:

Usually there's silence during the roll.
Then about 300' AGL or so, somebody says "COOL!".

That happens even when I'm flying alone.

- Andrew

Old May 10th 05, 10:27 PM
Andrew Gideon

Steven Barnes wrote:

The first time I took my (then) 4 year old up, I let my CFI fly the plane
while I sat in back with my daughter.

That's a good point. So far, I'm not willing to take our (almost 3 yo) son
up w/o my wife aboard. That gives someone to take care of him while I fly.

- Andrew

Old May 11th 05, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

That's a good point. So far, I'm not willing to take our (almost 3 yo)
son
up w/o my wife aboard. That gives someone to take care of him while I
fly.

That's the way we do all first flights with kids. There has to be a
"designated parent" on board, just in case.

I've only had one kid start to flip out while on his first ride, and I was
glad his mom was there to calm him down. By the end of the flight, he was
fine, but it sure would have sucked having him sitting behind me whimpering.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 11th 05, 04:38 PM
Andrew Gideon

Jay Honeck wrote:

That's the way we do all first flights with kids.Â*Â*ThereÂ*hasÂ*toÂ*beÂ*a
"designated parent" on board, just in case.

I've only had one kid start to flip out while on his first ride, and I was
glad his mom was there to calm him down.Â*Â*ByÂ*theÂ*endÂ*ofÂ*theÂ*flight,Â*heÂ*was
fine, but it sure would have sucked having him sitting behind me
whimpering.

In my case, it's not just first flights. I'm not sure when I'll stop doing
this, but so far it is for every flight.

And it's not just for the melt downs (though of course for that too), but
for little things like "I want water" or "I want pretzels" or "I want to
rewire the audio panel".

- Andrew

P.S. Of course, this also works for me because my wife is my
favorite passenger.

Old May 11th 05, 11:19 PM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

That's a good point. So far, I'm not willing to take our (almost 3 yo)
son
up w/o my wife aboard. That gives someone to take care of him while I
fly.

That's the way we do all first flights with kids. There has to be a
"designated parent" on board, just in case.

I've only had one kid start to flip out while on his first ride, and I was
glad his mom was there to calm him down. By the end of the flight, he was
fine, but it sure would have sucked having him sitting behind me whimpering.

That roll just after lift-off was a little too much, eh? :-)

Matt
Old May 12th 05, 06:34 AM
Wade

Jay Honeck wrote:
That's a good point. So far, I'm not willing to take our (almost 3 yo)
son
up w/o my wife aboard. That gives someone to take care of him while I
fly.

That's the way we do all first flights with kids. There has to be a
"designated parent" on board, just in case.

snip

I'm considering whether or not to take my 5 year old up,
since it would be in a Citabria, where I'd be in the front,
and he'd be in the back, all by himself.
But again, he might just love it. I suppose I could monitor him
closely through start, taxi, and run-up, and if he feels ok,
then we'd just do a few quick laps around the pattern.

Old May 12th 05, 08:06 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm considering whether or not to take my 5 year old up,
since it would be in a Citabria, where I'd be in the front,
and he'd be in the back, all by himself.
But again, he might just love it. I suppose I could monitor him
closely through start, taxi, and run-up, and if he feels ok,
then we'd just do a few quick laps around the pattern.

I would be extremely reluctant to give a 5-year old a ride from the back
seat of a 2-place aircraft.

On the other hand, I suppose, the aerobatic harness will pretty much
immobilize him -- right?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA