A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Affordable Oxygen

Old January 23rd 20, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Affordable Oxygen

...calibrated to deliver 15 -20 psig of dynamic pressure"

Any pressure regulator supplying a constant pressure...

There is definitely a potential surge problem there.

The EDS regulator is special in being designed to switch from no flow to lots and back while keeping the output pressure reasonable.

If you wish to gamble with yourself, then perhaps a surge tank after the regulator to improve the odds. A pulse-ox to keep an eye on the contraption might also be a good idea. But the words 'good idea' might not fit the situation?

Old January 23rd 20, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 6:15:07 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The EDS regulator is special in being designed to switch from no flow to lots and back while keeping the output pressure reasonable.

If you wish to gamble with yourself, then perhaps a surge tank after the regulator to improve the odds. A pulse-ox to keep an eye on the contraption might also be a good idea. But the words 'good idea' might not fit the situation?

From what I'm reading, it seems most medical "yoke-style" (CGA870) regulators are rated more for gas FLOW, i.e. Liters per Minute, than for pressure, i.e. PSI. It is hard to find the PSI rating for these medical regulators, but one data point I found was that one was rated at 50psi, which is much higher than the EDS unit is designed to handle. It is the typical regulator where you can dial the FLOW from 0.5lpm to 15lpm. I realize that FLOW and PRESSURE are two completely different animals, but they are related and affect each other. Is there a way to set the FLOW rate to get the PSI at the desired 15-20psi? My gut tells me not really, but my physics is a bit rusty and can't prove it to myself.
Old January 23rd 20, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

John Foster wrote on 1/23/2020 8:40 AM:

From what I'm reading, it seems most medical "yoke-style" (CGA870) regulators are rated more for gas FLOW, i.e. Liters per Minute, than for pressure, i.e. PSI. It is hard to find the PSI rating for these medical regulators, but one data point I found was that one was rated at 50psi, which is much higher than the EDS unit is designed to handle. It is the typical regulator where you can dial the FLOW from 0.5lpm to 15lpm. I realize that FLOW and PRESSURE are two completely different animals, but they are related and affect each other. Is there a way to set the FLOW rate to get the PSI at the desired 15-20psi? My gut tells me not really, but my physics is a bit rusty and can't prove it to myself.

I misunderstood you earlier: I thought you were considering a medical bottle with
an adapter that fits typical glider equipment, like an EDS regulator. The EDS
system is an important piece of safety equipment, so please do not try to save
money by substituting components UNLESS Mountain High approves of the substitution.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old January 23rd 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

John
If you need O2 you need it to be reliable.
I personally would only use a MH regulator with a MH EDS.
I would also send that unit and regulator back to MH and have it checked out, they recommend doing that every so often.
When you go over 12-14k up to 18k you've got other things to worry about than a cobbled together O2 system.
Old January 24th 20, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 9:40:13 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:

Upon further research, it appears that medical oxygen is standardized at 50psi, both from the portable oxygen tanks, and from the wall outlets in hospitals. This would not work to use a medical oxygen regulator and just "dial it down", as the pauses between breaths, the reduced flow at low altitudes, would cause the pressure to rise between the primary regulator (50psi) and the EDS unit (15-20psi). You would need a secondary regulator between them to step the pressure down to 15-20psi, or you would damage your EDS unit.
Old January 24th 20, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 10:00:09 AM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 9:40:13 AM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:

Upon further research, it appears that medical oxygen is standardized at 50psi, both from the portable oxygen tanks, and from the wall outlets in hospitals. This would not work to use a medical oxygen regulator and just "dial it down", as the pauses between breaths, the reduced flow at low altitudes, would cause the pressure to rise between the primary regulator (50psi) and the EDS unit (15-20psi). You would need a secondary regulator between them to step the pressure down to 15-20psi, or you would damage your EDS unit.

Using medical O2 for aviation is akin to using a vet for your health care, wrong application. The vet might just shoot you for a broken leg.
Old January 24th 20, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The vets my wife and I deal with are better doctors than the doctors we deal with.
Old January 24th 20, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Using medical O2 for aviation is akin to using a vet for your health care, wrong application. The vet might just shoot you for a broken leg.

There is absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between medical, aviators or welding oxygen. Moisture may be introduced at the delivery device for medical applications, but in the cylinder itself, they are all 99.99% O2. Any moisture in the pressurized cylinder, in the presence of an oxidizer (O2, get it?) promotes corrosion of the aluminum or steel cylinder.

I wonder how long this fairy tale about the "differences" in oxygen will survive?

Old January 24th 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 12:44:33 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

Using medical O2 for aviation...

I thought we settled this twenty years ago.

https://www.avweb.com/features/pelic...elders-oxygen/

Medical, welding, and aviator's breathing oxygen are all produced using the same processes and equipment. Not just similar. They're all the exact same stuff from the same tap.

The only differences are what they're dispensed into and how they're used. The requirements for purity and cleanliness in all compressed oxygen applications are such that the baseline specifications for all are the same.

--Bob K.
Old January 25th 20, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Howard Banks
external usenet poster

Mark, if you say something is different and special you can charge more.
Marketing basics.

At 22:21 24 January 2020, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 12:44:33 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud

wrote:

Using medical O2 for aviation...

I thought we settled this twenty years ago.

https://www.avweb.com/features/pelic...tting-high-on-

welders-oxygen/

Medical, welding, and aviator's breathing oxygen are all produced using

the
same processes and equipment. Not just similar. They're all the exact

same
stuff from the same tap.

The only differences are what they're dispensed into and how they're

used.
The requirements for purity and cleanliness in all compressed oxygen
applications are such that the baseline specifications for all are the
same.