Sailplane pilot who wandered across the Iron Curtain in the 1960's.

Old January 23rd 20, 08:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

Default Sailplane pilot who wandered across the Iron Curtain in the 1960's.

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 5:17:24 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I didn't get to watch much TV as a kid, my dad made me sit in my room and read books with a dictionary and Thesaurus, hence my magnificant SAT verbal score, but I digress. I find Youtube to be quite entertaining, moreso than much of current crop of garbage on TV and in watching some old shows I came across an edition of "To Tell the Truth," featuring a sailplane pilot who accidently flew into commie land during a World Championship in Germany in 1960 or thereabouts. Go to YOUTUBE and search for "To Tell The Truth, Sailplane pilot." Guy's name was Dick Streeter of Strieter... Perhaps some of the older guys here might have known him.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

Seeing this thread, I half expected a link to a famous escapate by a regular poster on the board, John Firth.

Here is the link, to an article written by Christine Firth in 1978, about John's adventure in the 1972 World Contest in Yugoslavia.

https://www.wgc.mb.ca/static/freeflight/78_03.pdf

Page 20, "Excapades".

Ah, the good old days!

Bruce Friesen
Old January 23rd 20, 01:54 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marotta View Post
I wonder how many gliders flew from East Germany into West Berlin or
Germany...

On 1/22/2020 9:15 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
West German gliders ending up in East Germany used to be a regular thing (like one every two or three years until 1989).
There was an ADIZ along the border on the West German side (about 30 km deep), and ingress without flight plan into the ADIZ was treated as a felony, but gliders used to be tolerated by allied forces to fly within the ADIZ (sometimes for stretches of 200 or 300 km).

--
Dan, 5J
Not a glider but a gutsy Ultra light escape .
Old January 23rd 20, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020 at 8:17:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I didn't get to watch much TV as a kid, my dad made me sit in my room and read books with a dictionary and Thesaurus, hence my magnificant SAT verbal score, but I digress. I find Youtube to be quite entertaining, moreso than much of current crop of garbage on TV and in watching some old shows I came across an edition of "To Tell the Truth," featuring a sailplane pilot who accidently flew into commie land during a World Championship in Germany in 1960 or thereabouts. Go to YOUTUBE and search for "To Tell The Truth, Sailplane pilot." Guy's name was Dick Streeter of Strieter... Perhaps some of the older guys here might have known him.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

Re my adventure in Roumania: It was the crew who had the adventure;
I just sat around feasting on local produce waiting to be rescued.
JMF

Old January 24th 20, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

If I picked two epic flights from my lifetime the first would have to be that of Larry Walters with a lawn chair and a pile of weather balloons. The other would be the Cessna that landed in Red Square.
Old January 24th 20, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 1/23/20 11:22 PM, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
If I picked two epic flights from my lifetime the first would have to be that of Larry Walters with a lawn chair and a pile of weather balloons. The other would be the Cessna that landed in Red Square.

Look up "Taffy Holden, the accidental Lightning pilot" on youtube. The
guy in the lawnchair has nothing on him, other than getting more publicity.

Old January 24th 20, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk

Then there's the lady who rode the tail of a Spitfire by accident in
1945...
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/a...-on-a-spitfire

Old January 24th 20, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 1/24/20 1:38 AM, Eric Munk wrote:
Then there's the lady who rode the tail of a Spitfire by accident in
1945...
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/a...-on-a-spitfire

Don't forget Mike Hughes, who built a steam-powered rocket and launched
himself 2000 in the air. Didn't take much piloting skill, but you sure
have to admire his G force tolerance.
Old January 24th 20, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colten Coughlin

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 9:04:16 AM UTC-6, kinsell wrote:
On 1/24/20 1:38 AM, Eric Munk wrote:
Then there's the lady who rode the tail of a Spitfire by accident in
1945...
https://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/a...-on-a-spitfire

Don't forget Mike Hughes, who built a steam-powered rocket and launched
himself 2000 in the air. Didn't take much piloting skill, but you sure
have to admire his G force tolerance.

have you seen the documentary? it is hilarious!