Why is ADF or Radar Required on MFD ILS RWY 32 Approach Plate?

Old March 30th 04, 12:13 AM
S Narayan

I am not so sure. See LVK ILS 25R (California), why is ADF required here?
Almost exclusively, TRACY is used as the IAF for this approach. Maybe if an
NDB is designated as an IAF, then ADF is required whether or not other IAFs
exist.

"Greg" wrote in message
om...
I'd guess because the only IAF is the NDB.

-greg

"S. Ramirez" wrote in message

om...
Does anyone know why the Mansfield OH MFD ILS RWY 32 approach plate has

ADF
or Radar Required written on it?

Thanks.

Simon Ramirez

Old March 30th 04, 01:28 AM

S Narayan wrote:

I am not so sure. See LVK ILS 25R (California), why is ADF required here?
Almost exclusively, TRACY is used as the IAF for this approach. Maybe if an
NDB is designated as an IAF, then ADF is required whether or not other IAFs
exist.

The missed approach goes to the LOM. Whenever they do that, ADF is always
required.

Old March 30th 04, 02:24 AM
S Narayan

wrote in message ...

S Narayan wrote:

I am not so sure. See LVK ILS 25R (California), why is ADF required

here?
Almost exclusively, TRACY is used as the IAF for this approach. Maybe if

an
NDB is designated as an IAF, then ADF is required whether or not other

IAFs
exist.

The missed approach goes to the LOM. Whenever they do that, ADF is always
required.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Old March 30th 04, 03:04 AM
Max T, CFI

Livermore requires ADF for the missed approach (climbing right turn to 3000 and direct Reiga LOM).
Theoretically you could identify Reiga with the marker beacon receiver, but you wouldn't know for
sure whether you re-intercepted the localizer before or after Reiga.

On the MFD approach, I agree with those who say ADF or radar requirement is to identify the IAF.
Max T, MCFI.

Old March 30th 04, 06:16 AM
Jim Leedham

It appears to me needed to find the IAF if radar service is not available...

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Simon,

It may be for the missed, or it may be required to provide a fix where the
altimeter can be checked. In the case of my home 'drome, DME is required
because there are no VORs positioned sufficiently to provide a crossing

radial
for that identification. You need that ID to fly the localizer only, as

well as
to cross check the altimeter and glideslope when on the ILS. A marker

beacon
will also suffice, but recently the FAA has been changing the ILS

approaches so
that the intercepts are at even thousands of feet, and so the marker

beacons are
no longer in the right place.

"S. Ramirez" wrote:

Does anyone know why the Mansfield OH MFD ILS RWY 32 approach plate has

ADF
or Radar Required written on it?

There is speculation on another forum that ADF is required to establish

the
FAF for the localizer approach, but I argued that it is not required for

the
ILS approach, since intercept of the glideslope is the "FAF" for the ILS
approach. The approaches we have in FL are similar but do not have ADF

or
Radar Required written on them.

I can understand that without radar vectors, setting up for the ILS

approach
would require ADF so that one overflies the NDB outbound, stays within

ten
miles, and then comes back to intercept the glideslope; therefore, radar
vectors or ADF would be required for this approach. But this is obvious

on
other approach plates without spelling it out. Why is this verbiage

written
on this approach plate?

Thanks.

Simon Ramirez

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 31st 04, 01:00 AM
Tim Witt

Another possible reason for requiring the ADF or Radar is the fact
that the min safe altitude is defined off the compass locator. An ADF
(along with your compass/DG) would allow you to determine if you were
north or south of the locator. The localizer and marker would only
tell you when you were at the fix.
Old March 31st 04, 05:28 AM
J Haggerty

The only way to get to the final approach is either via Radar vector to
final (RADAR) or via Procedure Turn over the LOM (ADF), hence the note
"ADF or RADAR required". (FAAO 8260.19 para 214; PT's are not authorized
from 75 MHZ markers, so ADF is required for the PT). Without one of
those entries, there are no other instrument routes to the final approach.

JPH

Old April 2nd 04, 11:13 AM

Tim Witt wrote:

Another possible reason for requiring the ADF or Radar is the fact
that the min safe altitude is defined off the compass locator. An ADF
(along with your compass/DG) would allow you to determine if you were
north or south of the locator. The localizer and marker would only
tell you when you were at the fix.

No way. The MSAs are not part of the regulatory or operational scheme for
IAPs in the United States.