"The Muse"

Old May 23rd 05, 08:57 PM
Scott Skylane

RST Engineering wrote:

Why renamed to me?

Jim

O.K., I guess I'll get out the 2X4, and start smacking.

Jim, would you consider adding to your product line a device that feeds
music into an individual aviation headset. I would bet you could design
a pretty stout, useable device that would be superior in quality to, and
more reasonably priced than, the PSE Muse. I, for one, would be
interested in buying such a device.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 23rd 05, 09:03 PM
Scott Skylane

H.P. wrote:

The audio output device needs a compression circuit to keep audio levels
more near a constant output. There are portable cd players out there that
have such a feature.

My iPod *does* have an audio compression feature, and it is turned on.
Quite simply, the minimum audio signal required to power up the Muse is
higher than I would like it to be.

Your headset may have a dip switch that's factory set to mono-out a stereo
input - like the Bose headset. Try the other setting. Or it may be wired in
mono. Try it on a stereo source at home.

No switch on my headsets, they're good ol' mono DC's. Knowing that the
majority of aviation headsets are mono, PSE incorporated a mini switch
inside the Muse, to provide either stereo or mono output. The position
of said switch has no discernable effect on the music I hear in my headsets.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old May 23rd 05, 09:12 PM
R.L.

Aviation headsets have notoriously higher impedance than the typical earbuds
that come with Ipods and other consumer audio devices. Might be an impedance
mismatch requiring a matching transformer.

Old May 23rd 05, 09:29 PM
Scott Skylane

R.L. wrote:

Aviation headsets have notoriously higher impedance than the typical earbuds
that come with Ipods and other consumer audio devices. Might be an impedance
mismatch requiring a matching transformer.

Ummm, yeah. And since the Muse is *designed* to input consumer audio
devices into aviation headsets, I would expect the built-in circuitry to
handle this just fine. IMHO, it does an "O.K" job, but not as good a
job as I would like.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 23rd 05, 09:30 PM

I have a "Muse" and I think it's of rather unimpressive design. The
battery door is loose, it's always a bit of effort to get the battery
to fit in their correctly, and the music volume is insufficient even
with the my iPod turned up and a fresh batter in the Muse.

Also, it's ridiculously overpriced.

Sportys has a new product that might fit the bill, though:

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_id=7145

Anyone try that yet?

This claims to be a both a cell-phone interface *and* a music
interface. That can be a benefit because the add on cell phone
interface like "AirCell" is *ridiculously* over expensive.

All these devices need to do is match connectors and match impedances.
There's just not much to it!

My $0.02,
Dave J

-- jacobowitz73 --at-- yahoo --dot-- com

BTB wrote:
Anyone any experiences using "The Muse" for in-flight music ?

http://www.avionicswest.com/muse.html

Or there less expensive options ?

BTB

Old May 23rd 05, 10:32 PM
Paul kgyy

I've used the music input on my Lightspeed 30-3G and it's fabulously
good, IMO. Kind of a pain to have all that automatic muting going on
while flying IFR, though.

Old May 24th 05, 12:04 AM
RST Engineering

Without me doing a lot of research that most of you seem to have done, what
is the input, what is the output, and what is the function? And no, I won't
do stereo. There are good reasons.

Jim

Old May 24th 05, 08:29 AM
Thomas Borchert

Paul,

Kind of a pain to have all that automatic muting going on
while flying IFR, though.

So switch it off. The switch is in the battery compartment.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 24th 05, 04:07 PM
Jose

And no, I won't
do stereo. There are good reasons.

I'd be curious to know what they are.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.