Next?

Old April 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
Rich

ANYBODY can give flight instruction!
Just come around my airport on a Saturday Morning and you'll get about
as much flight instruction as you can STAND!

Rich

You can't instruct students with a commercial certificate. That's
why we have flight instructor certificates.

A flight instructor certificate is required whenever the FAR calls for
'authorized instructor'. Examples are endorsing a student for solo flight,
giving checkride endorsement, flight reviews etc.. My understanding is that
any commercial pilot can give flight instruction and charge for his
services as long as he does sign students off.

Old April 2nd 04, 04:03 PM
Ron Natalie

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message A flight instructor certificate is required whenever the FAR calls for
'authorized instructor'. Examples are endorsing a student for solo flight,
giving checkride endorsement, flight reviews etc.. My understanding is that
any commercial pilot can give flight instruction and charge for his
services as long as he does sign students off.

Nobody said anything about charging, so really a commercial isn't even an
issue here. Further, the FAA doesn't hold that flight instruction is even a
commercial piloting operation (an instructor doesn't need a medical if not
needed as a pilot crewmember otherwise), etc...

You can't log flight instruction other than by an authorized instructor. (61.51(b)(2)(v)).
While technically anybody can "teach" someone (no need for an instructor certificate),
it doesn't count as instruction time (for certificates, ratings, BFRs, and other
experience requirements).