The Un-Sung Hero of Parawan

Old July 11th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default The Un-Sung Hero of Parawan

OK, so un-sung hero may be a bit strong, but I thought Tom Kelly did
an excellent job of getting the Region nine contest off the ground.
Although I might have missed the cudos he was given during the awards
dinner, I don't recall anyone singling him out.
The low stress, (as low stress as a contest can be), was because of
the attitude Tom brought to the proceedings. Without exception, Tom
could be found keeping tabs on what went on and lending both a smile
and a hand to anyone who was in need. The word mellow comes to mind
when I think of how the contest was run, and Tom was responsible for
it.
Tom Pressley and John Good did a steller job of scoring and sniffing,
and certainly deserve a great deal of credit. Regardless of the
circumstances, (I'm thinking of my numerious screw-ups), Tom always
had a smile and a good word.
So, thanks again Tom..........good on ya!

Billy Hill, (Zulu)

Old July 11th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

Tom Pressley and John Good did a steller job of scoring and sniffing,
and certainly deserve a great deal of credit. Regardless of the
circumstances, (I'm thinking of my numerious screw-ups), Tom always
had a smile and a good word.
So, thanks again Tom..........good on ya!

Billy Hill, (Zulu)

I fly with Tom Pressley at Caprock in Littlefield. He heros there all
year long. We're VERY glad to have him.

Jack Womack

Old July 11th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Seaborn

A big second to Billy's comments on Region 9. The great weather and
good organization aside it was a real pleasure to see friends from the
East Coast along with those from Europe, New Zealand and other parts
of the globe while flying with our local Region 9 gang. Not many
regionals let alone nationals can do that. Well done.

John Seaborn (A8)

Old July 11th 07, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rick Culbertson

Billy nailed it, "low stress as a contest can be" and I fully agree.
It all began with the conscious low key and competent attitude
delivered each and every day by 711, this carried through to all
involved. Every one associated with this contest from the AP Manger
and team, Contest Officials, All the Volunteers, Tow Pilots, Contest
Pilots, Crew members, and the locals were superb. And oh yea, Parowan...
what a smokin' place to race!!!

I may be wrong but I think Tom originally planned on flying in the
contest but realized herding this many cats on the AP was a full time
job. Tom gave up his chance to race in the "Big Air" at Parowan and
did so with a great attitude. Tom was the glue that made it all run
smoothly and safely.

From all of us, thank you Tommy ;-)

Old July 16th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soarski

On Jul 10, 8:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Did anybody fly with "Sinha Deturbulators" in that contest?
Glad to hear it was a good contest.

Thanks

600 PL

Old July 16th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jul 16, 8:44 am, soarski wrote:
On Jul 10, 8:21 pm, wrote:

[...]

No unusual devices were spotted. I also suspect deturbulators might
be against the rules.

Mike

Old July 17th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn

At 15:48 16 July 2007, Soarski wrote:
On Jul 10, 8:21 pm, wrote:
[...]

Tom was effervescent.

Contest stress was evanescent.

Competitors were ebullient.

It was very well run - ground and tow ops, weather,
tasking, scoring, retrieve office, FBO support, food.
They even got these cool looking trophies made for
the winners - I got to hold one for a minute.

Plus I got to learn a whole bunch of new polysyllabic
words starting with 'e'.

9B

Old July 17th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Yeah that poor shlupp who nicked you outta third got his log file
turned in about 7 minutes before the awards presentation. Doesn't he
owe for that?!

2NO

a hero passes Ray O'Hara[_2_] Aviation Photos 21 May 7th 07 11:31 AM
Piggyback Hero No Name Aviation Photos 6 January 31st 07 02:52 AM
the passing of a hero Ray O'Hara Aviation Photos 1 December 3rd 06 07:57 AM
Something Fishy with Kerry's being a "Hero" Pechs1 Naval Aviation 16 February 29th 04 02:16 PM
Something Fishy with Kerry's being a "Hero" Krztalizer Military Aviation 0 February 25th 04 02:56 AM