O$hko$h bye-bye

Old May 20th 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default O$hko$h bye-bye

Having attended Oshkosh for the last 35 years without fail, Jim Weir's
recent message that he'd have to miss this one due to rising fuel
costs, was an item of conversation last Sunday at our Irregularly
Scheduled, Often Delayed, Homebuilder Koffee Klatch here in northern
Sandy Eggo county. (Jim usta hang out around here.)

I made it to Rockford a couple of times but being in the Navy (back
then) Oshkosh never matched my schedule. By the time I retired O$hko
$h had become too expensive for a retired Chief. So I took a by as
the conversation bounced around the table. Of the eight of us hiding
out in the back room at the Picket Fence, two are double-dippers, one
is a Tooth Doctor and another runs an RV factory. Membership in the
ISODHFK is about a dozen and in any given year at least three or four
of them will perform the annual pilgrimage.

But not this year.

Oh, there were some dandy excuses. Along with some guilty glances,
since the Goers often save the Right Seat for the Stayers.

But not this year.

Money was mentioned but Rich Folk (meaning just about everyone but me)
don't like to talk about it. Age and medical problems was the hand's
down favorite for Not Going and we plowed that common ground until the
free re-fills ran out and we moseyed off to our Sunday afternoon
pursuits.

It'll be interesting to see how this story plays-out.

-R.S.Hoover
Old May 20th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

wrote in message
[...]

Well, gasp, gasp, since we do have to cover the helicopter event at
Hillsboro Ohio for our magazine, we might just as well do O$$hko$$h as well.
While age and medical problems are setting there also, the $$$ gets my
attention.We are estimating $2500 just in diesel for our truck/camper combo.
Sun'n Fun was definitely down this year. It is going to be an item of
interest just how many birds show at O$$hko$$h as well. The bang for the
buck is getting to be a serious item of discussion.
I don't know if it is directly connected, but we are experiencing a growing
number of new subscribers at a rate that we can't account for. Maybe the
increase in fuel cost has people needing to at least read about flying?

Stu

Old May 20th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 20, 7:41*am, " wrote:

...*Membership in the ISODHFK is about a dozen ...

Military guys love acronyms. Career military guys can coin a new one
in a heartbeat. For those of who had to forgo the benefit of Uncle
Sam's training in etymological shorthand, WTF is ISODHFK?

Daniel
Old May 20th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

wrote in message
On May 20, 7:41 am, " wrote:

For those of who had to forgo the benefit of Uncle
Sam's training in etymological shorthand, WTF is ISODHFK?

Daniel

Did you read his first paragraph?

Rich S.

Old May 20th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On May 20, 10:58*am, "Rich S."
wrote:
wrote in message

On May 20, 7:41 am, " wrote:

For those of who had to forgo the benefit of Uncle
Sam's training in etymological shorthand, WTF is ISODHFK?

Daniel

Did you read his first paragraph? *

Rich S.

He is an IROSC (Irregular Reader Often Skipped Content)
Old May 20th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

I didn't get it either, maybe he forgot a letter.
Lou
Old May 20th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On May 20, 2:12*pm, Lou wrote:
I didn't get it either, maybe he forgot a letter.
* * * * * Lou

Pat,, can Vanna give me a K ?????
Old May 21st 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gary K[_2_]

"stol" wrote in message
On May 20, 2:12 pm, Lou wrote:
I didn't get it either, maybe he forgot a letter.
Lou

Pat,, can Vanna give me a K ?????

Actually, can Vanna substitute a "K" for this extra "F"?

'-)

Old May 21st 08, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
Sun'n Fun was definitely down this year. It is going to be an item of
interest just how many birds show at O$$hko$$h as well. The bang for the buck
is getting to be a serious item of discussion.

It is not just aviation. Due to inflation, I have been feeling decidedly
"unrich" lately. I am sure that I am not alone. I notice that the same
paycheck that felt moderately fat two or three years ago, now does not always
last the full two weeks until the next one arives. The government's published
inflation figures are pure bull$hit. I have little doubt that my effective
inflation is double digit, or nearly so.

All travel options are looking very expensive these days, so staying at home
is looking better and better.

I don't know if it is directly connected, but we are experiencing a growing
number of new subscribers at a rate that we can't account for. Maybe the
increase in fuel cost has people needing to at least read about flying?

That is very encouraging news indeed. Congratulations!

Vaughn

Old May 22nd 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

It is not just aviation. Due to inflation, I have been feeling decidedly
"unrich" lately. I am sure that I am not alone. I notice that the same
paycheck that felt moderately fat two or three years ago, now does not always
last the full two weeks until the next one arives.

You mean before the democrats took over congress?
Lou