VOTE ...HTML or Plain Text???

Old July 31st 03, 04:56 PM
ArtP

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:31:34 -0500, "John Clonts"
wrote:

How DO you turn off HTML etc. in OE for reading? I looked for a while last
night and couldn't find it...

Tools, Options, Read, Read all messages in plain text.

Old July 31st 03, 07:18 PM
John Clonts

wrote:

How DO you turn off HTML etc. in OE for reading? I looked for a while

last
night and couldn't find it...

Tools, Options, Read, Read all messages in plain text.

Hmm, thanks for the reply, but that option is not in my Tools/Options/Read
properties dialog. Outlook Express 5.00. What version are you using?

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas

Old August 2nd 03, 07:00 PM
John Clonts

wrote:

How DO you turn off HTML etc. in OE for reading? I looked for a while

last
night and couldn't find it...

Tools, Options, Read, Read all messages in plain text.

At home I'm using Outlook Express 6.00, at work OE 5.00. Neither seems to
have this option. What version of Outlook Express are you using?

Thanks,
John

Old August 1st 03, 07:14 AM
leslie

John Clonts ) wrote:
:
: How DO you turn off HTML etc. in OE for reading? I looked for a while
: last night and couldn't find it...
:
http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
Configuring Mail Clients to Send Plain ASCII Text

"What is wrong with sending HTML or MIME messages?

There are now six main reasons for NOT doing this:

[snip]

4. Embedded HTML or MIME attachments are the number one method of
spreading virus, worm or Trojan programs.

For instance, the Forgotten worm was written in Visual Basic
Script and spread without any attachment. Instead, the worm code
was embedded into the HTML formatted message body.

The I Love You worm program exploited an ActiveX vulnerability and
was executed just by viewing or previewing the e-mail message
without opening any attachment.

Likewise, embedded code could exploit some MS Office vulnerability
as with Office ODBC Vulnerabilites and Specially Formed Script in
HTML Mail can Execute in Exchange 5.5

[snip]

Turning Off HTML or MIME

There are now a variety of HTML/MIME programs, including but not
limited to:

* Agent/Free Agent
* AOL 5.0 and earlier
* AOL 6.0
* AOL 7.0 REVISED
* AOL 8.0 NEW
* AOL 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 Alternate NEW
* CompuServe 2, 3 and 4
* CompuServe 2000
* Entourage 2001 (MacIntosh)
* Entourage X (MacIntosh)
* Eudora Light v3.0.5 and earlier
* Eudora Light v3.0.6
* Eudora Pro v4.0.2 and earlier
* Eudora Pro v4.2 and later
* Eudora v5.0
* Hotmail
* IncrediMail Xe
* Juno v5.0
* Lotus Notes R5
* Mac OS X Mail NEW
* MS Internet Explorer 4.0, 5.0, 5.50 and 6.0
* MSN Explorer 6.0
* MSN Explorer 7.0
* MS Exchange 4.0 and other MS problems
+ WINMAIL.DAT (TNEF) attachments UPDATED
+ Equal signs at end of lines
+ ISO 8859-1 or other character sets
* Mozilla 1.1
* Netscape Communicator 3.xx
* Netscape Communicator 4.0x - 4.4x
* Netscape Communicator 4.5, 4.6, 4.7
* Netscape Communicator 6.0 - 6.1
* Netscape Communicator 6.2
* Netscape Communicator 7.0 PR1, Final NEW
* Novell Groupwise UPDATED
* Outlook 2000 UPDATED
* Outlook 2002
* Outlook Express 4.0
* Outlook Express 5.0, 5.50, and 6.00
* Outlook 97 (without Service Release 1 SR1)
* Outlook 97 (with Service Release 1 SR1)
* Outlook 98 (Work group version)
* Outlook 98 (Internet version)
* Pegasus Mail 3.x
* Pegasus Mail 4.x
* Pine 4.x (Unix)
* Pine 4.x (Windows)
* Poco 2.xx
* TheBat! v1.18
* WebTV
* Yahoo Mail UPDATED..."

Just click on the link for your news reader; e.g.:

Outlook Express 5.0, 5.50, and 6.00

HTH,

--Jerry Leslie (my opinions are strictly my own)
Note: is invalid for email

" Outlook is a piece of software for giving remote access by
email to all the bugs in Internet Explorer !"
Old July 31st 03, 03:20 PM
Sydney Hoeltzli

Steve House wrote:
I have to say that I don't understand the emotional
attachment some people have for software that dates to the days when
monitors ran on kerosene instead of electricity, especially when products
that reflect the current state of the art like OE are free or very, very
inexpensive.

Well, I'm emotionally attached to not enabling unnecessary security
holes for no great benefit.

OE is a never-ending security hole. Our IT people beg us not to use
it.

Sydney

Old July 31st 03, 06:05 PM
Peter Duniho

"Sydney Hoeltzli" wrote in message
OE is a never-ending security hole. Our IT people beg us not to use
it.

Every program you use is a potentially never-ending security hole, and those
that intentionally receive data from the Internet are especially so. If
your IT people are so concerned about network security, they ought not to
allow you to use ANY software that accepts data from the Internet.

I'm as against HTML in Usenet newsgroups as much as the next guy, but it has
nothing to do with a belief that not using HTML will ensure my security.

Pete

Old July 23rd 03, 01:35 PM
Doug Carter

Montblack wrote:

Your vote on HTML.....?

I vote YES some trepidation and with the hope that folks with use is
sparingly (for tables and such). Some will foolishly attempt to prevail
in a discussion with form rather than content but suffering fools is a
hazard of usenet anyway.

HTML does take more bandwidth, but so does cross posting... Do you
suppose there is any correlation between NO voters and those how fight
for the retention of NDB's? :-)

Old July 23rd 03, 03:22 PM
Peter R.

Montblack ) wrote:

Your vote on HTML.....?

NO. Text is the ticket.

My newsreader has HTML disabled, just to be safe.

--
Peter

Old July 23rd 03, 04:27 PM
MikeM

Montblack wrote:
Your vote on HTML.....?

Plain text for 99% of normal postings;
very occasional HTML for a diagram or table OK.

MikeM
Old July 23rd 03, 05:14 PM
JerryK

I like HTML when it adds something. Bolding and itallics don't really add
much so if the message is all text, just leave it plain text.

But a table looks much better in HTML. I hate having to recreate column
aligments, etc. Same thing with diagrams. I hate when people attempt to
use characters for arrows and lines.

jerry