Simple & Cheap Tricks for your plane

Old February 7th 04, 03:49 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Dale wrote:

I made some cheap light wheel-chocks from PVC pipe.

I'm old-fashioned. I ripped mine on the tablesaw from 2x4 scrap. Screweyes in the
ends and a bit of clothesline, and done. They take up next to no space in the
plane, too.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 7th 04, 04:23 AM
EDR

In article 8RYUb.234255$I06.2627994@attbi_s01, Jay Honeck
wrote:

- Silicone spraying your yokes will make your landings better.

Is that so when you pull all the way back it slips out of your fingers
just at the moment of touchdown? ;-)
Old February 7th 04, 04:49 AM
Blanche

I'm looking for a cargo net also. The baggage area in my cherokee
has two long straps (diagonal the entire width, made of seatbelt
webbing) but that doesn't hold down the small stuff that can
get loose.

Old February 7th 04, 04:51 AM
Jay Honeck

Is that so when you pull all the way back it slips out of your fingers
just at the moment of touchdown? ;-)

Hmm. Okay, maybe that should read "Silicone spraying your yoke *shafts* will
help your landings"?

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 7th 04, 05:26 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:44:44 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I've been looking for a cargo net that will hold down the stuff that's
stored in the baggage area (two quarts of oil, small tool box, tiedown kit,
etc. I have this image of having to remove the tool box from someone's head
after landing out somewhere. Anyone seen one that will work well in an
Archer?

My cargo net is from the trunk of a mid-size chevy sedan. I think they
were standard equipment in the 90's. I got mine at the wreckers for
$5.
Old February 7th 04, 05:32 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 03:49:40 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Dale wrote:

I made some cheap light wheel-chocks from PVC pipe.

I'm old-fashioned. I ripped mine on the tablesaw from 2x4 scrap. Screweyes in the
ends and a bit of clothesline, and done. They take up next to no space in the
plane, too.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.

mines from a 4x4 cut on the diagonal complete with lightening holes. I
used to just block one wheel with the canada flight supplement.
Old February 7th 04, 02:37 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm looking for a cargo net also. The baggage area in my cherokee
has two long straps (diagonal the entire width, made of seatbelt
webbing) but that doesn't hold down the small stuff that can
get loose.

This is why we went with the "fits-under-the-bed-on-wheels-plastic-box"
instead of a cargo net.

It fits in the compartment perfectly, has a flip-up lid, and keeps all the
stupid little stuff contained. Unless you get a really tight-mesh net, all
the little stuff will just come through it.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 7th 04, 04:08 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Blanche wrote:

I'm looking for a cargo net also.

These are sold for SUVs.

Old February 7th 04, 04:39 PM
Blanche

I'm 30 miles away from airplane and manual...anyone remember the
width & length of the cherokee 180D baggage area? Floor dimensions,
I mean. Or, Jay, what are the dimensions of your
under-bed-on-wheels-plastic-box?

thanks

Old February 7th 04, 05:45 PM
Jim Weir

- A Tuffy (mesh diswashing scrubber) in the air vent tubes to keep the air
flowing and the bees out.

- A low-milliamps voltage regulated 13.4 volts trickle charger wired in to the
"keep alive" breaker (clocks and such) to keep the battery going between long
periods of aircraft disuse. It makes it much easier to use if you remove the
cigarette lighter and replace it with a little 2.1mm power connector tied in to
the keep alive circuit.

- A trouble light on the top of the cylinders and an oil dipstick warmer for
winter easy starts (remove before flight {;-) )

- A long (repeat LONG) wooden dowel marked off in PENCIL in 5-gallon increments
to dip each tank. The LONG part keeps it from falling into the tank. Pencil
will not dissolve in fuel; ink will. Do NOT varnish or finish as you will not
be able to read the dip level.

- Small USA and state flags with knotted rubber bungees (or VERY heavy rubber
bands) to tie to the prop. (Comes in very handy for campaigning, too!!!) The
lateral curvature of the prop keeps them from blowing off.

- For emergency high-wing ferry use, a small aluminum bracket drilled out to
the size of the tie-down bolt, with a BNC connector and a rubber duck antenna
mounted to the plate and strung in to the cockpit along the strut with STRING
(not abrasive ribbed nylon) ties will serve as a decent temporary com antenna.

Jim

"Jay Honeck"

-A few more tricks that come to mind:
http://www.rst-engr.com