Anyone seen "Flight 93" yet?

Old April 27th 06, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Anyone seen "Flight 93" yet?

I don't no if I will see it!

But did hear today that this weekend they will donate 10% of the weekend
take to the 93 Memorial fund, that alone my change my mind!

Ron Gardner

Flyingmonk wrote:

What'd you think of it? Should I go see it?

The Monk

Old April 27th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"RG" == Robert M Gary writes:

RG I think the fear is that if we don't have movies like this our
RG country will quickly change their point of view and see the
RG terrorists as poor, disadvangated people who really only need
RG financial aid from the U.S. and then they wouldn't hate us.

I think the fear is that Hollywood will go bankrupt unless they can
exploit every possible life situation.
Old April 27th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

They also had the approval and participation of the families of all the
passengers and crew.

Old April 27th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Given the choice, knowing what I know now, I would not have seen it. I
would have mailed a $20 bill to the producer and thanked him for making
it. It is soul-changing. In a good way, but it's still deeply
painful.

That's EXACTLY the way I felt after seeing "Saving Private Ryan".

I still wish I hadn't seen that movie, even though it was very well
done.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 27th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I read these posts first and thought "man, it's just a movie...you guys need
to ease up a bit". I wasn't belittling the events of 9/11, but couldn't
understand why you let a movie get to you that way.

.......then I went to the website and watched the trailers. Now I'm sitting
here in a rage.

I think I'll be waiting about seeing that movie.

jf

"Otis Winslow" wrote in message
Flyingmonk wrote:
What'd you think of it? Should I go see it?

The Monk

I haven't seen it and likely won't. I have enough
hatred for those animals that I don't need anything to
further it.

Old April 27th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

It got a rave review in The New Yorker. I will certainly see it.

- all the best, Dan Ford

Wikipedia: the belief that 10,000 monkeys playing at
10,000 keyboards can create a reference work
Old April 27th 06, 10:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 26 Apr 2006 19:28:56 -0700, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

That's EXACTLY the way I felt after seeing "Saving Private Ryan".

That doesn't bode well! I walked out of SPR toward the end, after one
stupidity too many.

However, Steven Spielberg researched SPR by watching other war movies
and combat photographer footage. We can assume that the makers of
Flight 93 didn't research it at screenings of The High and the Mighty.

Old April 27th 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

disadvangated people who really only need financial aid from the U.S.
and then they wouldn't hate us.

-Robert

And even if we gave it to them, they'd still hate us.

*Especially* if we gave it to them! (Cf France, Germany....)

Old April 27th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Cub Driver" wrote:

It got a rave review in The New Yorker. I will certainly see it.

You don't think it will be too painful to watch? I'm still so angry about
9/11 that even documentaries about that day upset me.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 27th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

You don't think it will be too painful to watch? I'm still so angry about
9/11 that even documentaries about that day upset me.

I'm curious as to weather east coasters feel this way more than those of us
on the west coast who, while just as riveted to what was going on, were
still thousands of miles away.

I don't want to watch the movie but I will anyway, because all indications
by the critics are that it was done for exactly the right reason, and not
just to make a buck off a good story.

And, another angle on it is that if it's done now while the emotions are
still real and the participants able to remember it happening, it's going to
leave a much better legacy as a historical work than some dramatization a
decades from now.

For example: Pearl Harbor or Memphis Belle. Just imagine if some of the
actors in PH or Saving Private Ryan had been there. And when you consider
the original Memphis Belle, there's a movie that would have been painful to
watch when it was released, but the difference is, that was cinema verite.
(Which basically means "as it happens.")

-c