A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

new SSA web site

Old April 2nd 21, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robin Clark
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 9:02:47 PM UTC-4, noel.wade wrote:
On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 5:48:43 PM UTC-7, GeneReinecke wrote:
Wow. Are we all being overly cranky as an April Fool's day joke? Give the low-paid IT people a few days to get it right! This is not a Covid vaccine reservation site, an investment app or even OLC! Lighten up guys, give it a couple of days and everything will be all right!
Sheesh.

No Gene, its not about being overly cranky. I am an IT person, and I *have* been very lowly paid and/or a volunteer (hell, my day job is running IT for a non-profit right now).

There was no reason for the new site to be rolled out like this, NONE. All of the things they're working on could have been tested in-private and tuned/fixed, while the main website continued to exist and function just fine..

But the issue goes MUCH deeper than just how bumpy the rollout is. The organization of the new site bespeaks a lack of careful consideration of features and functionality, or of proper project management. It reeks of scope-creep, and of being driven by art/aesthetics instead of functionality, and of non-technical people in charge not knowing how to vet the technical workers or manage them effectively.

--Noel

Can't find competitors list for Perry.
Old April 2nd 21, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 7:02:47 PM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:
Wow. Are we all being overly cranky as an April Fool's day joke? Give the low-paid IT people a few days to get it right! This is not a Covid vaccine reservation site, an investment app or even OLC! Lighten up guys, give it a couple of days and everything will be all right!
Sheesh.

No Gene, its not about being overly cranky. I am an IT person, and I *have* been very lowly paid and/or a volunteer (hell, my day job is running IT for a non-profit right now).

There was no reason for the new site to be rolled out like this, NONE. All of the things they're working on could have been tested in-private and tuned/fixed, while the main website continued to exist and function just fine..

But the issue goes MUCH deeper than just how bumpy the rollout is. The organization of the new site bespeaks a lack of careful consideration of features and functionality, or of proper project management. It reeks of scope-creep, and of being driven by art/aesthetics instead of functionality, and of non-technical people in charge not knowing how to vet the technical workers or manage them effectively.

--Noel

Old April 2nd 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GeneReinecke
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 7:02:47 PM UTC-6, noel.wade wrote:
Sheesh.

--Noel

Noel:
I think a number of us on this forum have done a good bit of volunteer work or low paid work for one of our hobbies or something we are passionate about. It is painful to watch others jump in and criticize from the sidelines. For example, One (non soaring) club I am a member of has over 100 members-only about 15 are active volunteers yet we get a surprising amount of critique from the other 85! Forgive me if I am not aware of your efforts to help the SSA but perhaps they could use your expertise, without the side potshots?
See you at cloudbase
Gene
Old April 2nd 21, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 6:02:47 PM UTC-7, noel.wade wrote:
Sheesh.

--Noel

Detailed data for each contest is gone, such as priority registration date, competitors, results, etc. Even pertinent data such as what classes are flying is inaccurate at some contests. Then, you need your old login to register for a contest.
The timing for the website change is abominable. Contest management must be pulling their hair out having such an impediment to last minute entries. This could "sink" some competitions this year.
Craig
Old April 2nd 21, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JC Garrison
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On Thursday, April 1, 2021 at 8:48:43 PM UTC-4, GeneReinecke wrote:
Sheesh.

In actuality - not all - but most of the people working on this project are not paid at all - they are volunteers. Please Give them a chance to get the details worked
out.....

Best

AE....
Old April 2nd 21, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

Gack, "frames" are back. I thought we got rid of them 20 years ago!
For example: go to: https://www.ssa.org/event/2021-region-2-north/
and then click on the "register here" link.
(it will ask you to login first, here your old login still works)

Old April 2nd 21, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 12:19:59 PM UTC-4, JC Garrison wrote:
Sheesh.

In actuality - not all - but most of the people working on this project are not paid at all - they are volunteers. Please Give them a chance to get the details worked
out.....

Best

AE....

I really like the changes, thanks for the hard work to all involved.
Old April 2nd 21, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

On 4/2/2021 1:37 PM, wrote:
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 12:19:59 PM UTC-4, JC Garrison wrote:
Sheesh.

out.....

Best

AE....

I really like the changes, thanks for the hard work to all involved.

Some of the changes I've seen I really dislike. Having to wait a long
time for each page to load, since it's loading pieces from Facebook and
Google etc, is very annoying. "Frames" were universally hated 20 years
ago, don't bring them back! (And don't replace them with a pop-over
either - the new scourge that I hope will go the way of pop-up windows:
blocked by all browsers.) No videos should play unless you click on
them. We should need only one login (without Captcha) for all parts of
the system. And please add a "site map" page. Thanks!
Old April 2nd 21, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

Hahahahhahahahaaaaaaaaaaa...

Dan
5J

On 4/1/21 6:48 PM, GeneReinecke wrote:
or even OLC!

Old April 2nd 21, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default new SSA web site

Viewing contest scores should not require a login. Just sayin.