Generic Serengeti Driver sunglasses? (Bring in the Clones?)

Old October 9th 04, 10:17 PM
Mark

Default Generic Serengeti Driver sunglasses? (Bring in the Clones?)

[reply either here or at ]

Hello,

For several years I've used non-prescription Serengeti Driver
sunglasses (with brown coating), and love them. I like how they
brighten the reds and greens. Great not only for driving, but also
for outdoor use. They really cut through the haze as well.

Recently, my slight near-sightedness has worsened (I'm now at -1.25,
or about 20/40) so I'm considering a pair of prescription sunglasses.

To my chagrin, I find that the price of official Serengeti Driver
prescription lenses to be *very* expensive (I was quoted $180/pair
just for the lenses, then add in the cost of the frames.) They are not
covered by my eye plan except for a small token reimbursement not
worth considering.

However, I was also told that the lab which makes lenses for my
optometrist can put on their own coating which they claim is
virtually identical to the Serengeti Driver. The cost for the generic
Driver lenses is a fraction of what I'd pay for the official Driver
lenses, plus they are well-covered by my eye plan.

So, without commenting on the specific lab, has anyone found such
Serengeti-generics to work as well as the official Serengeti's? If
the coating is a known formula (I assume the patents have long
expired), in theory the formula should be duplicatable by any
reputable optic laboratory.

Thanks!

(Either reply here, or you may reply at
)

Mark
Old October 9th 04, 11:25 PM
Brian Barnson

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

I've gone from Serengetis to the coated copies and, while they aren't as
good, they aren't too awful bad. Here in Canada prescription Serengetis are
about $500 and about $800 for progressive bifocals. Hidalgo has a lens
called the Kontraster you might like and their prices aren't too bad,
http://hidalgos.com/
Brian, in Cedar