Palm PDA software for aviation

Old October 4th 04, 11:12 PM
H.P.

Default Palm PDA software for aviation

Anyone have any recommendations for aviation software for the Palm PDA. I'm
thinking of AirCalc Pro through AvShop but there's a bunch of stuff
available from Palm Gear that's also shareware.

Old October 4th 04, 11:58 PM
Anaconda

Try Copilot from Laurie Davis. It's freeware, with optional no strings
attached donation. It's just short of fantastic:
http://www.palmflying.com/copilot.html .

You can download a database for it (also free) which makes it very useful.

Same database can be configured to be downloaded as waypoints onto your GPS.
Have all your local airports available on your non-mapping gps. What a great
combination.

More info on Copilot and links to the database can be found here ...

www.lauriedavis9.tripod.com/copilot/

Anaconda

Old October 5th 04, 12:05 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Anaconda" said:
Try Copilot from Laurie Davis. It's freeware, with optional no strings
attached donation. It's just short of fantastic:
http://www.palmflying.com/copilot.html .

You can download a database for it (also free) which makes it very useful.

http://navaid.com/CoPilot/

Same database can be configured to be downloaded as waypoints onto your GPS.

http://navaid.com/GPX/

Also more information at http://xcski.com/~ptomblin/CoPilot/

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It is necessary to get JPEGs of one's offspring, if only so that you can
Old October 5th 04, 07:10 AM
Maik

I tried it, spend more money than it costs now and I'm not using it
anymore. Too many problems with other programms and a bit buggy.

So save your money and download CoPilot. It is the best.

maik

Old October 5th 04, 07:13 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Anaconda wrote:
Try Copilot from Laurie Davis. It's freeware, with optional no

strings
attached donation. It's just short of fantastic:
http://www.palmflying.com/copilot.html .

No it's not.
It's fully, all the way up to, and past the point of, fantastic.

Old October 5th 04, 09:31 PM
Blanche

Brien K. Meehan wrote:
Anaconda wrote:
Try Copilot from Laurie Davis. It's freeware, with optional no

strings
attached donation. It's just short of fantastic:
http://www.palmflying.com/copilot.html .

No it's not.
It's fully, all the way up to, and past the point of, fantastic.

I agree! Now if I just had enough memory to load all the stuff from
Paul Tomblin's waypoint generator....

*sigh*

Not the PDA, not my brain, either.

Old October 5th 04, 09:46 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Blanche said:
I agree! Now if I just had enough memory to load all the stuff from
Paul Tomblin's waypoint generator....

*sigh*

So, have you tried the new way of specifying fixes by what chart they
appear on? It really cuts down on all those badly categorized fixes that
only appear on approaches and the like. I found a large reduction in
database size by restricting to ones that only appear on Low Altitude
En-route charts.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
In fact, it's surprising that any sort of hardware works. When it works, it
Old October 6th 04, 09:05 PM
Brien K. Meehan

Paul Tomblin wrote:
So, have you tried the new way of specifying fixes by what chart they
appear on? It really cuts down on all those badly categorized fixes

that
only appear on approaches and the like. I found a large reduction in
database size by restricting to ones that only appear on Low Altitude
En-route charts.

Paul, that's a great feature.

Even with it, though, the database I generate (US + Ontario) adds up to
almost 25000 waypoints. That's because I don't include approach fixes
or private airports (by simply un-checking the check box that would
include them!). It takes a while to download to the PDA, but it's
schweet.