6 Flags St. Louis?

Old June 7th 05, 06:47 PM
John T

You might find St. Louis 6 flags a bit of a comedown compared to Gurnee.
Smaller, not as many rides, etc.

John

Old June 7th 05, 08:54 PM
Jay Honeck

Not sure about SF St. Louis, but I no longer patronize SF Great America in
Chicago. We were there about a year ago this time, and it didn't look like
a very good place to bring young children.. The profanity was out of
control, and so was the line jumping. A fight nearly broke out when the
line jumpers were confronted by others in line. I was with a group of other
adult guests, so we could tolerate most of it, but I was glad we didn't have
kids along.

Waukegan and Gurnee are very tough areas, with a larger inner city and
a huge gang problem. I'm sure Great America isn't immune to this
blight.

In fact, this gang problem has spread from Chicago up the coastline of
Lake Michigan like a plague, infecting everything from Navy Pier to
Milwaukeem, WI. Yeah, there are nice areas right along the waterfront,
but large portions of the communities around the bottom of Lake
Michigan are simply war zones.

It's a terrible shame, and it's one of the big reasons we left the area
for good.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 9th 05, 04:04 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Ben Smith" wrote:

Sounds like a hoot Jay - look forward to the pirep when you return.

Not sure about SF St. Louis, but I no longer patronize SF Great America in
Chicago. We were there about a year ago this time, and it didn't look like
a very good place to bring young children.. The profanity was out of
control, and so was the line jumping. A fight nearly broke out when the
line jumpers were confronted by others in line. I was with a group of other
adult guests, so we could tolerate most of it, but I was glad we didn't have
kids along.

I don't frequent amusement parks very often, but the larger ones I've
been to in the last few years seem to have a huge line jumping
problem... and it's not just kids doing it. Like spammers, folks are
becoming more creative and acting with a greater disregard for the rules
and for park authority figures. This type of thing, as well as
escalating incidents with weapons and general rowdiness, has caused some
of the smaller family-centric parks in my area to eliminate conveniences
like General Admission, install metal detectors, search bags, and
discourage loitering anywhere inside the park for any reason. When I
was growing up, folks would come to these parks to bring their kids to
Kiddie-Land, older folks would sit on the benches and enjoy food from
the concession stands and spend an afternoon, etc. Now, everyone
basically pays the same ~$30 admission price or they don't get
in--period. I fear that much of the character of these older parks will
be lost. I am not optimistic that the problems will disappear.

JKG