Rental reccs near Atlanta, GA

Old June 5th 05, 02:26 AM
Jeff Gostin

Default Rental reccs near Atlanta, GA

Good day!

I'm going to be visiting Atlanta, GA at the end of the month, and am
interested in taking an aerial tour of the area. For reference, I'll be
staying near Georgia Tech. I'm looking for recommendations concerning an
FBO to rent from and an instructor to fly with. My preference is to rent
a Cherokee or Warrior, as that's what I'm most familiar with. Airnav
gave me a few choices, but I'd prefer a recommendation from someone who
is familiar with the local situation.

My thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

--Jeff
Old June 5th 05, 03:07 AM
Kyle Boatright

There are 3 fields nearby.

Peachtree Dekalb, which has a LOT of corporate traffic, with all pricing
scaled up to match. This is the only GA field inside the perimeter. I get
stressed just thinking about going there. Due to security ahem, terrorism
concerns, it can be a real pain in the rear even getting on the ramp, and
the FBO's all charge a $10 ramp fee. There are a couple of decent
restaurants on the field (one is a burger/sandwich type place, and the other
is a nice restaurant with a WWII theme, dressed up to look like a French
farmhouse in Normandy. The restaurants are a saving grace, or I'd never go
to PDK. I'm not aware of what rentals are availible there, although you
might call Epps FBO. If you're affiliated with Ga Tech, you might find it
interesting that Mr. Epps is a Tech Grad and participated in the raising of
Glacier Girl from the ice of Greenland.

Another field is Fulton County/Charlie Brown. It is probably the least
convenient from Tech, and I don't have any knowledge of the rentals that are
available there. The Georgia Tech flying club is based there, so if you
have a Tech connection, that might work for you.

The third field is McCollum, which is about 20 miles up I-75. Northside
Aviation has a collection of rental Cessnas, but I'm not aware of any Piper
products on the rental line. There is at least one other FBO on the field,
but I don't have any knowledge of their offerings.

Old June 5th 05, 04:35 AM
W P Dixon

May I recommend going to Athens , a short drive to Atlanta , nice little GA
airport with rentals so you can still go fly around the area..and you won't
have to be by GEORGIA TECH ! GOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS!!!! SIC'EM!!! WOFF WOFF WOFF
!!!!!
Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 9th 05, 03:10 PM
Dave Butler

Kyle Boatright wrote:
There are 3 fields nearby.

Peachtree Dekalb, which has a LOT of corporate traffic, with all pricing
scaled up to match. This is the only GA field inside the perimeter. I get
stressed just thinking about going there. Due to security ahem, terrorism
concerns, it can be a real pain in the rear even getting on the ramp, and
the FBO's all charge a $10 ramp fee.

Just as another data point, I've been to PDK 3 times (I think) in the Mooney,
and never had any problem getting on the ramp, and never been charged a ramp
fee. The only stress came with the weather - low ceilings and crosswinds.

I used Epps one time, but it's hard to find from the ramp side or the street
side, and they don't really seem to be set up for transients. I had to hunt down
someone to fuel the plane. Nice enough people. Least expensive fuel on the
field. Nice little pilot shop.

Mercury is a full-service FBO, with everything that goes along with that. The
fuel price is about the same as at home at RDU. I was just there last week. WiFi
in the their lobby is new since the last time I was there. Very attentive and
conscientious ramp crew. I'll keep going back to Mercury.