C-130 on Navy Carrier

Old February 17th 05, 06:46 PM
Rob van Riel

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:16:07 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:03:10 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of the
catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air, wasn't it?

When I was in a Navy airgroup (CVG-6 in the Fifties), it was standard
procedure to launch a concrete filled "wagon" off the cats after a
carrier left Portsmouth , VA yards to test the cats. The weight was
supposed to simulate an aircraft of the time. Difficult to plot the
trajectory from the flight deck but they went "way" out before arcing
down to the water.

Taking this way beyond reasonable speculation, has anyone else ever
wondered about the effects a missile like this might have on another ship,
as an emergency weapon :-)

I would think that a Model T would disintegrate
with the forces applied from a steam catapult.

Most likely. I figured they must have put the poor thing on a purpose
built sled or something. Then again, maybe it was just an item of roughly
the same mass as a T Ford, or maybe the whole thing is an urban legend.

The same would hold for any other car strapped to the cat; I doubt it
would be recognisable as a car the instant the cat fired.

Rob

Old February 17th 05, 06:54 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:46:58 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

The same would hold for any other car strapped to the cat; I doubt it
would be recognisable as a car the instant the cat fired.

I've seen some like that right out of the showroom...
Old February 17th 05, 07:21 PM
niceguy

With a hydraulic cat, maybe.
With a steam cat, no.

Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:03:10 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of the
catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air, wasn't it?

When I was in a Navy airgroup (CVG-6 in the Fifties), it was standard
procedure to launch a concrete filled "wagon" off the cats after a
carrier left Portsmouth , VA yards to test the cats. The weight was
supposed to simulate an aircraft of the time. Difficult to plot the
trajectory from the flight deck but they went "way" out before arcing
down to the water. I would think that a Model T would disintegrate
with the forces applied from a steam catapult.

Old February 17th 05, 07:34 PM
Gord Beaman

Rob van Riel wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:39:55 +0000, Gord Beaman wrote:

Rob van Riel wrote:
Didn't know about that one, but yes, there seems to be an overwhelming
urge to get just about anyting that will fly to work from a carrier.

...aaand some that won't too!...did you see the pic of the car
that they launched from some carrier?...how in 'ell did they ever
float that one by the hedshed?...imagine some crusty Admiral's
question..."You want to catapult WHAT OFF MY DECK Lt?!?"

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of the
catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air, wasn't it?

Rob

I dunno...but you can bet that it was the fastest mile(?) that it
ever clocked (and at the highest cost too!)...ole Henry must have
rotated a few turns in his grave!...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 17th 05, 07:41 PM
Dave in San Diego

Rob van Riel wrote in
news

Rob van Riel wrote:
Didn't know about that one, but yes, there seems to be an overwhelming
urge to get just about anyting that will fly to work from a carrier.

...aaand some that won't too!...did you see the pic of the car
that they launched from some carrier?...how in 'ell did they ever
float that one by the hedshed?...imagine some crusty Admiral's
question..."You want to catapult WHAT OFF MY DECK Lt?!?"

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of

the
catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air, wasn't

it?

Rob

There are pics of cars getting catted off out on the 'Net, but I can't
find my copies on my computer right now.

As for the distance, nowhere close to a mile. If you make a couple of
reasonable assumptions - 100 feet off the water, and 130 kt end speed -
and do the math, it comes out to about 460 feet in 2.5 sec. This matches
well with what I saw during the deadload tests in port on the Midway.
Reduce either, and the "flight" distance decreases correspondingly.

Dave in San Diego
Old February 17th 05, 07:48 PM
Gord Beaman

Rob van Riel wrote:

Taking this way beyond reasonable speculation, has anyone else ever
wondered about the effects a missile like this might have on another ship,
as an emergency weapon :-)

Be fun to hear some Navy Dept. Admiral talking to the ship
damaged by the model T wouldn't it?...

"...Your ship was damaged BY A -WHAT- Captain??..."
choke
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 17th 05, 07:50 PM
Gord Beaman

Greasy Rider© @invalid.com wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:46:58 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

The same would hold for any other car strapped to the cat; I doubt it
would be recognisable as a car the instant the cat fired.

I've seen some like that right out of the showroom...

I've -owned- some that I'd like to do that to...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 17th 05, 08:06 PM
William Hughes

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:44:48 -0000, in rec.aviation.military.naval "Keith W"
wrote:

CVN 77 was used to transport the ski-equipped R4D's (based

^^^^^^^^^
on the C-47/Dakota airframe) to the Antarctic where they were
used for aerial surveys

"Let's do the time warp again!"

Note the NeoNazi nuts over on r.a.m will tell you they
were hunting for a sekrit SS Antarctic base

I thought Dirk Pitt blew that up ten years ago...

Old February 17th 05, 08:20 PM
Gord Beaman

Dave in San Diego wrote:

Rob van Riel wrote in
news

Rob van Riel wrote:
[...]

Why has the speed anything to do with it Dave?...there's no
'lift' so it would fall just as fast no matter how fast it was
moving forward...it should hit the water just as quick whether
you shoved it off the side or accelerated it to a thousand MPH
(disregarding the curvature of the earth - and assuming that the
carrier deck is level fore and aft)
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old February 17th 05, 08:23 PM
Dave in San Diego

Rob van Riel wrote in
news
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:16:07 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:03:10 +0100, Rob van Riel
postulated :

As I recal that was a publicity stunt to demonstrate the raw power of
the catapults. A model T Ford that spent all of a mile in the air,
wasn't it?

When I was in a Navy airgroup (CVG-6 in the Fifties), it was standard
procedure to launch a concrete filled "wagon" off the cats after a
carrier left Portsmouth , VA yards to test the cats. The weight was
supposed to simulate an aircraft of the time. Difficult to plot the
trajectory from the flight deck but they went "way" out before arcing
down to the water.

Taking this way beyond reasonable speculation, has anyone else ever
wondered about the effects a missile like this might have on another
ship, as an emergency weapon :-)

Given that your projectile is fired from a level flight deck and heads
for the water immediately, this would be an inconsequential "weapon". The
cat end speed necessary for the projectile to go a mile is over 1200 kt.

I would think that a Model T would disintegrate
with the forces applied from a steam catapult.

Most likely. I figured they must have put the poor thing on a purpose
built sled or something. Then again, maybe it was just an item of
roughly the same mass as a T Ford, or maybe the whole thing is an
urban legend.

The same would hold for any other car strapped to the cat; I doubt it
would be recognisable as a car the instant the cat fired.

Nope. Both pix I have seen of cars getting fired show a clearly
recognizable car going off the bow.

Just found this one - a Falcon going off the "E":

Dave in San Diego