Suggested Lunch Stops "Near" Washington, D.C.?

Old June 6th 05, 12:35 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Suggested Lunch Stops "Near" Washington, D.C.?

Well, our upcoming trip to Dulles has been expanded. Weather permitting,
we'll be leaving this coming Wednesday, heading up to Door County, WI,
spending the night there, and proceeding up to Mackinac Island on Thursday
for brunch. From there we ill be heading direct to the Washington, D.C.
area, over the top of the Great Lakes.

It ought to be a beautiful trip!

This routing would mean approaching Washington from the north instead of the
west. I plan to stop short of the ADIZ for lunch, get all of my ducks in a
row with an ADIZ flight plan, and then have a (relatively) short flight into
Dulles from there. (Margy, will arriving on Thursday work, or do I have to
wait till Friday?)

ANYWAY -- it appears that I've got quite a few good choices for stopping --
but maybe you "local" guys can steer me to the best food? I've picked a
few that are right on my flight plan, but I'm open to suggestions:

1. Bedford, PA (KMHZ) is just 35 minutes from Dulles.
2. Cumberland, MD (KCBE) is just 30 minutes from Dulles
3. Martinsburg, WV (KMRB) is just 15 minutes from Dulles

Of these three, which would you recommend? Or, alternatively, what's a
better stop?

Also, I have just started researching this ADIZ flight plan stuff. One
fellow who wrote me off-line referred to "VOR gateways" into the ADIZ, which
implies that there are set "routes" via VORs through the ADIZ into Dulles.
Is this correct, or (once I've been assigned a discrete squawk code and have
my ADIZ flight plan activated) can I fly GPS direct from the point where I
enter the ADIZ straight into Dulles?

Thanks for your help!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 01:34 AM
Robert Barker

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

The Smithsonian has some really nice places to eat. You can probably land
in that big, long grassy area in front of the place... ;-)

Old June 6th 05, 01:57 AM
vincent p. norris

Jay, you might want to consider Altoona, PA (AOO). It may be a bit
east of your route but there's an AFSS there, and a pretty good
restaurant in the terminal building.

vince norris
Old June 6th 05, 01:59 AM
Jase Vanover

Been lurking and understand you're going to check out the new museum at
Dulles...

I lived within about a 10 minute drive of Dulles up until a year ago, and
managed to get to the museum before being transferred back to Canada. It's
a helluva place to go see airplanes. I have a ton of pictures (no website
to post them on). You'll have a great time checking out both the warbirds
and civilian planes they have in their collection.

I expect, and know, that there'll be an apres trip posting, and am looking
forward to your comments.

Jase.

Old June 6th 05, 02:14 AM
dave

Jay,
Try Baybridge, W29. It's really not out of the way for you. There's a
nice seafood restaurant within walking distance of the airport. It's
got great views of Chesapeake Bay from the outside dining area. Sorry
I can't remember the name of the restaurant. Maybe someone else from
the group can give Jay a more up to date pirep on the place. I was last
there about 5 years ago.

Have a safe trip.

Dave
68 7ECA

Old June 6th 05, 02:22 AM
Michelle P

Jay,
when it is not fly-in day FDK has a nice restaurant.
Michelle

Old June 6th 05, 02:40 AM
Margy

dave wrote:
Jay,
Try Baybridge, W29. It's really not out of the way for you. There's a
nice seafood restaurant within walking distance of the airport. It's
got great views of Chesapeake Bay from the outside dining area. Sorry
I can't remember the name of the restaurant. Maybe someone else from
the group can give Jay a more up to date pirep on the place. I was last
there about 5 years ago.

Have a safe trip.

Dave
68 7ECA

Hmmm, last I checked Iowa was West of Dulles and Bay Bridge was East.
Besides, if I was going out that way I'd stop at Kentmore and go over to
the Marina for crab cakes.

Margy

Old June 6th 05, 02:40 AM
Mike Beede

In article ,
"Robert Barker" wrote:

The Smithsonian has some really nice places to eat. You can probably land
in that big, long grassy area in front of the place... ;-)

My experience was that it has some really mediocre places to eat.
I regard eating at the Smithsonian as "refueling," and do it
only to avoid spending time going someplace else.

Anyone been to the restoration facility for the Air and Space
museum lately? I haven't been for ten years and still
remember it as a really fine tour.

Mike Beede
Old June 6th 05, 03:05 AM
RST Engineering

You had to quote fifty lines of text for a two line answer?

Do you understand "snip"???

Jim

"Robert Barker"