Suggested Lunch Stops "Near" Washington, D.C.?

Old June 6th 05, 06:13 AM
John T

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:3%Loe.18960$_o.12925@attbi_s71

1. Bedford, PA (KMHZ) is just 35 minutes from Dulles.
2. Cumberland, MD (KCBE) is just 30 minutes from Dulles
3. Martinsburg, WV (KMRB) is just 15 minutes from Dulles

I seem to recall somebody once talking about the food at Bedford, but I've
never been. Here's a (dated) link talking about the restaurant at KMRB:
http://archives.his.com/dcpilots-l/2.../msg00272.html

I don't recall anything about KCBE. Like Michelle, I think the restaurant
at Frederick is OK and is just a short hop away.

Also, I have just started researching this ADIZ flight plan stuff. One
fellow who wrote me off-line referred to "VOR gateways" into the
ADIZ, which implies that there are set "routes" via VORs through the
ADIZ into Dulles. Is this correct, or (once I've been assigned a
discrete squawk code and have my ADIZ flight plan activated) can I
fly GPS direct from the point where I enter the ADIZ straight into
Dulles?

I haven't heard of them called "VOR gateways", but I have heard of them as
"VFR gates". Basically, they're a set of intersections for traffic
to/from the ADIZ from various points of the the compass rose. I fly from
KJYO and haven't had any problems with flight plans to/from MRB (the VOR
about four miles from the field), Winchester (KOKV) or Frederick (FDK). The
real reason for these intersections is so the correct controller position at
Potomac TRACON gets your P-strip. If you're coming from the North, I'd say
start with Frederick.

VFR in the ADIZ is still VFR - especially on busy VMC days. On slower days,
the ADIZ controller will be on a radar station and may provide unsolicited
radar services as a bonus, but plan for "own navigation".

The answer to "direct to KIAD from ADIZ point of entry" depends entirely on
your point of entry. Entering the ADIZ from the North and points
West-to-South should provide no problem. Try that from points East, though
and you'll find Atlas painted red-red-green (or painted with fire-control
radar).

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old June 6th 05, 12:39 PM
Ron Natalie

Jase Vanover wrote:
Been lurking and understand you're going to check out the new museum at
Dulles...

Not only is Jay going to check out the museum, he's going to be on
exhibit there.

Old June 6th 05, 12:59 PM
Jay Honeck

Been lurking and understand you're going to check out the new museum at
Dulles...

Not only is Jay going to check out the museum, he's going to be on
exhibit there.

And my family won't let me forget it.

"First you were a fossil...now you're a museum piece!"

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 01:05 PM
Arnold Sten

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, our upcoming trip to Dulles has been expanded. Weather permitting,
we'll be leaving this coming Wednesday, heading up to Door County, WI,
spending the night there, and proceeding up to Mackinac Island on Thursday
for brunch. From there we ill be heading direct to the Washington, D.C.
area, over the top of the Great Lakes.

It ought to be a beautiful trip!

This routing would mean approaching Washington from the north instead of the
west. I plan to stop short of the ADIZ for lunch, get all of my ducks in a
row with an ADIZ flight plan, and then have a (relatively) short flight into
Dulles from there. (Margy, will arriving on Thursday work, or do I have to
wait till Friday?)

ANYWAY -- it appears that I've got quite a few good choices for stopping --
but maybe you "local" guys can steer me to the best food? I've picked a
few that are right on my flight plan, but I'm open to suggestions:

1. Bedford, PA (KMHZ) is just 35 minutes from Dulles.
2. Cumberland, MD (KCBE) is just 30 minutes from Dulles
3. Martinsburg, WV (KMRB) is just 15 minutes from Dulles

Of these three, which would you recommend? Or, alternatively, what's a
better stop?

Also, I have just started researching this ADIZ flight plan stuff. One
fellow who wrote me off-line referred to "VOR gateways" into the ADIZ, which
implies that there are set "routes" via VORs through the ADIZ into Dulles.
Is this correct, or (once I've been assigned a discrete squawk code and have
my ADIZ flight plan activated) can I fly GPS direct from the point where I
enter the ADIZ straight into Dulles?

Thanks for your help!

Good morning, Jay,

You might want to consider KCXY, which is on the west side of the
Susquehanna River in Harrisburg (inside the Harrisburg TRSA). Easy in
and out towered airport that's about 80 NM north of Dulles. If you stop
there around lunch time, I'll come by, pick you up and take you to
lunch. If your interested, remove the obvious from my email and contact
me directly.

Arnold Sten
Old June 6th 05, 01:07 PM
Jay Honeck

The answer to "direct to KIAD from ADIZ point of entry" depends entirely
on your point of entry. Entering the ADIZ from the North and points
West-to-South should provide no problem. Try that from points East,
though and you'll find Atlas painted red-red-green (or painted with
fire-control radar).

The bad thing is, my teenage son is MOST excited about the chance of seeing
an F-16 "up close"... something I desperately hope to avoid.

;-)

Of course, this is the same kid who wants to bring a bail of hay, buy some
bib overalls, and start chewing tobacco for our day on display, just so we
don't disappoint everyone's expectations of what an Iowan Family should look
like!

And my 11 year-old daughter is no better. Last night we were flying home
from a "$100 pie ala mode" at sunset. It was absolutely beautiful, and we
were all in quiet reverie, hovering effortlessly thousands of feet over the
darkening landscape, when her voice came over the intercom: "Dad? Do I
have to lie to everyone at the museum about how flying is fun after the
first nine years?"

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 01:21 PM
Denny

Don't know nuttin about DC.. I have been known to fly this Great Lakes
area... Your direct route will be across Canada (A foreign nation,
legally - and a bit strange, factually) but I digress - anyway,
"theoretically" you have to file an International Flight Plan to enter
and leave foreign airspace (unlike the old days where we totally
ignored such niceties).. Now, I wouldn't swear on a stack of bibles
that since 9/11 I have not accidently clipped a corner of Ontario on
occasion (koff) on my way to Cleveland but I haven't merrily flown the
entire E-W length of Ontario - as I used to do - without bothering to
talk to the 'authorities'...

So, the question in my mind is if you are planning a GPS direct from
Mackinac to DC area, what are you planning to do about the
international portion of your flight? I suggest giving your local FSDO
a call and see if simply filing a flight plan will cover your butt for
the International portion of the trip...
Even if it does (which I doubt) you still have the issue of re-entering
the USA if you are forced to land in Canada for any reason - weather -
sickness - engine - USA airspace is suddenly closed - etc... Canadian
authorities will be sweet as pie, but the a**holes on our side of the
border seem to get their rocks off harassing american citizens... A
young fella, who worked for me at the the time, took his 17 year old
girlfriend - blond, blue eyed, picture pretty, sweet as pie, all
american girl - on a tour of Ontario over the 4th of July weekend...
When they turned up at Port Huron to get home, guess what - she didn't
have a passport or birth certificate with her, they refused to let her
in - period! It took seven hours of phone calls to The Father -
Michigan Senator - US Senator - Chairman of the Oversight Committee
of US Customs - who phoned and requested the Customs Officer to let
her in - and finally had to resort to threats to get him to comply...
If it hadn't been that the Father was a direct acquaintance of a State
Senator (and had his home phone number on a holiday night) who was a
personal friend of a US Senator (ditto), I don't know how many days it
would have taken to get her re-entry into the USA... So, do your
homework..

Suggestion: From Mackinac fly GPS South to a point 5 miles East of
Detroit City Airport (DET), air file a flight plan to fly VOR direct
Windsor (YQG) direct Sandusky (SKY), and once back in USA airspace
cancel the flight plan... You are in Canadian airspace for about 20
minutes... Lots of planes coming and going that route... This is the
route I flew when I accidently clipped Canadian airspace (ahem)...

The alternate plan is to fly to the point just East of Detroit CIty
Airport, then follow the international border down the centerline of
the Detroit River, down low to stay out of the Detroit B air space,
then follow the international border across Lake Erie to Ohio and then
to DC... Low hassle, nice view in good weather...

cheers ... denny

Old June 6th 05, 01:29 PM
Maule Driver

Margy wrote:

Hmmm, last I checked Iowa was West of Dulles and Bay Bridge was East.
Besides, if I was going out that way I'd stop at Kentmore and go over to
the Marina for crab cakes.

Yes, Kentmorr (3W3). An excellent grass strip with residences. Walk to
the water and left down the street one block to the Marina. Best
seafood stop within 100 miles.

3W# has its own ADIZ procedure.

Would definitely recommend it for a taste of Blue Crabs. The crab cakes
*are* great but remember that's the dish to avoid at most crab places
(advice from a blue crab expert/wholesaler/retailer)

That's where I'd go.
Old June 6th 05, 02:15 PM
Jay Honeck

So, the question in my mind is if you are planning a GPS direct from
Mackinac to DC area, what are you planning to do about the
international portion of your flight?

Thanks for the heads up, Denny.

IF that whole portion of the flight comes together (the weather is so often
terrible up that way that I will be more surprised than anyone if this
works) I was originally planning on flying GPS direct, as you suggest.

The more I looked at the over-water portions of that trip, the more I
realized that flying straight down the middle of Michigan was, perhaps, the
smart way to go, and then "hang a left" at Detroit...

I haven't looked in any great detail yet, but I *think* I can stay out of
Canadian airspace if I do it that way, no?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 02:33 PM
Jay Honeck

You might want to consider KCXY, which is on the west side of the
Susquehanna River in Harrisburg (inside the Harrisburg TRSA). Easy in and
out towered airport that's about 80 NM north of Dulles. If you stop there
around lunch time, I'll come by, pick you up and take you to lunch.

Thanks for the kind offer, Arnold. Right now, however, the weather picture
is looking so dicey -- and we've got so many variables between school, the
inn, the plane, etc. -- that I can't say where I'll be at any particular
time or day!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 6th 05, 04:56 PM
Denny

Well, yes and no.. Depends on what you mean by "down the middle of
Michigan" (where's Bill when you need him to define a word, or two)...

If you are passing East of the Detroit B, then it is as I suggested,fly
the Sunrise side of the state down nearly to DET, then down low under
the B, follow the center of the Detroit river (watch for vfr traffic
here), and out across the West end of Lake Erie... This is scenic if
the Wx is nice - downtown Detroit, Belle Isle, Grosse Isle, freighters,
pleasure boats, nuclear power plants, etc. - and you can truck along
just offshore to Ohio...

If you are going West of the Detroit B, then you aim to split the
difference between Ann Arbor and Willow Run airports - there is about a
mile of uncontrolled airspace between the two airport traffic areas
where you don't have to talk to them - easier than Duck soup with a
moving map GPS... Then you angle East, about a 150 deg. heading
initially - so that you stay out of the Detroit B - then just North of
Toledo's airspace you cut across the end of Lake Erie to the Ohio shore
(lots of tall towers in the shore areas so be alert if you are down
low), pass to the South of the Nuclear Plant just before Port Clinton,
and go merrily on your way - watching out for Cleveland, Akron,
etc...... None of this is hard, just be aware of controlled
airspace...

You really need a Detroit Terminal Chart to navigate the Detroit B,
unless ATC is on Valium and handing out clearances through the B to GA
traffic (rare)... This is why I use the Howie Keefe Air Chart
system... That way when I get a wild hair to go somewhere I just pull
out the chart bag and all the charts I need are there...

Yes, there is convective predicted for Thursday for this part of
Michigan... Anyway, if you pass near Saginaw - Browne Airport (KHYX)
Wave at Fat Albert, he'll be snoozing in the hangar.... I'll be slavng
at my office in Hemlock, some 25 miles West of there...

If you have any problems while in Michigan give me a jingle..
989-583-2353

Denny