Bothering a Pilot on Final

Old May 29th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Scott Skylane

Default Bothering a Pilot on Final

C J Campbell wrote:

Personally, I have better things to do than to worry about what other
pilots are saying on the radio.

Respectfully, CJ,

That attitude may well get you killed, and would certainly get you
booted out of my cockpit.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old May 29th 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:11:39 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote in
:

I can see one other reason [for announcing position over an uncontrolled
field on UNICOM/CTAF]. Skydiving operations.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind also.

Where I learned to fly we didn't have much jumping. But at the next airport
over they had it going on every weekend and often during the week and I was
taught it was a good idea to announce when ever I was anywhere near the
place weekend or not.

That's the first I've heard of that, but I received my primary flight
instruction back in 1970. Sky diving wasn't very prevalent back then.
Needless to say, this question never came up during my subsequent
biennial flight reviews.

My experience, albeit primarily limited to Parris
http://www.skydiveperris.com/ , is that the jump-plane announces his
intention on CTAF to drop several minutes before and also immediately
before the "jumpers away" broadcast. SoCal Approach seems aware of
these times also, as they'll advise the pilot receiving Radar Traffic
Advisory Service.

Although it's been many years since I read Say Again,Please, I recall
that Bob Gardener did a good job of fleshing-out the FAA guidance on
radio operations at uncontrolled fields.

Old May 29th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

Well I'm not talking about SoCal I'm talking about SoArk and there
aren't any controlers around to help and since it is so much less busy
folks tend to forget some of the procedures. And while they do announce
the jumpers they don't always announce the dives the airplane makes to
get back on the ground for the next load.

Let's face it. If the CTAF frequency is so busy that getting an
announcement that you are flying over at 4500 feet is a problem it might
not be a bad idea to get the announcement out there anyway.

If the CTAF frequency is empty what does it hurt to make the call?
Old May 29th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Larry Dighera wrote:
Agreed. However, the FAA documents I cited mention stating your
intention to over fly the field to UNICOM, which may coincidentally be
on the CTAF. I see no mention of self-announcing your intention to
over fly the field other than to UNICOM. That is my point.

Am I missing yours?

I am following both of you, I think ... but my point wasn't whether it's
part of the FAA documents, only that it's not necessarily "just silly"
or only a new pilot bragging that he/she's there. We can't all make up
our own techniques (although some clearly DO!), but if I'm in the
pattern at an uncontrolled field and someone's flying overhead at an
altitude that's low enough to have me wondering, I appreciate the call
announcing his intent, even if it isn't mandated in FAA documentation.

At any rate, the FAA documents don't appear to provide any guidance as
to the AGL altitude at which broadcasting a pilot's intention to over
fly the field might be inappropriate. Clearly when it's not a factor
for those flights arriving or departing, I see little need for it.

Agreed, absolutely. I was talking about when it's higher, but close
enough that those in the pattern are wondering whether he's going to
drop in or keep going.
Old May 30th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Let's face it. If the CTAF frequency is so busy that getting an
announcement that you are flying over at 4500 feet is a problem it might
not be a bad idea to get the announcement out there anyway.

In the northeast, the unicom frequencies are quite busy, not because
of local traffic, but because so few frequencies are shared by so
many airports.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 30th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave[_5_]

[...]

My experience with skydiving operations is that the pilot usually
makes an "announcement" so fast as to be
unintelligible.However, when you hear such a verbal barrage, you know
i'ts time to be on the alert -Something is about
to happen. I've had the experience of arriving at an uncontrolled
field to find myself surrounded by descending
parachutists. Unsettling, to say the least (on that occasion I do not
recall any announcement).

Dave
Old May 30th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 29 May 2008 19:11:27 -0700 (PDT), Dave wrote
in
:

My experience with skydiving operations is that the pilot usually
makes an "announcement" so fast as to be
unintelligible.However, when you hear such a verbal barrage, you know
i'ts time to be on the alert -Something is about
to happen.

Interesting. First I've heard of that.

I've had the experience of arriving at an uncontrolled
field to find myself surrounded by descending
parachutists. Unsettling, to say the least (on that occasion I do not
recall any announcement).

Oh brother.... That isn't a good situation.

Did you check the NOTAMs before departure? Were you in contact with
ATC at the time that occurred? Did you mention your experience to the
sky-diving operator when you landed?
Old May 30th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Personally, I have better things to do than to worry about what other
pilots are saying on the radio.

Respectfully, CJ,

That attitude may well get you killed, and would certainly get you
booted out of my cockpit.

Mine, as well.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old May 30th 08, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 29, 10:57 am, Dale wrote:

Here's one of them:http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flypics/ghmidfinal.jpg

1. Where's that?
2. I'm jealous.
3. Can I live near there?

sigh...

US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 turning onto final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:45 PM
US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 turning onto final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
US Navy Test Pilot School F/A-18 on final approach at KNPA today Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 November 2nd 07 09:44 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Home Built 34 August 13th 04 03:20 PM
Sport Pilot Final Gilan Piloting 19 July 22nd 04 04:38 PM