Oshkosh flight planning

Old July 19th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

Default Oshkosh flight planning

Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
Muskegeon MI.

Advantages of Muskegeon:
- might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
than a 1.5 hour flight
- arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
Advantages of Saginaw:
- Free hotdogs
- I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
Michigan

What do you think?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Microsoft - Just say No.
Old July 19th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Plan to arrive at OSH after a short leg with ,ore fuel in
the tanks. Leave early from your first departure point so
you're ahead of schedule. Plan your last leg at low cruise
power, much easier to adjust your ATA if you have a 20-25
knot speed buffer.

You're spending a lot of money, free hotdogs, but some good
food for $10.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/

Old July 19th 06, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
Muskegeon MI.

Advantages of Muskegeon:
- might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
than a 1.5 hour flight
- arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
Advantages of Saginaw:
- Free hotdogs
- I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
Michigan

....and you'll be going feet-wet drawing fuel from a proven good fuel source vs.
a tank that you just filled.

What do you think?

Old July 19th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john smith

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

Decision time: I have a choice of a 2.5 hr leg and a 1.5 hr leg,
refuelling in Saginaw MI, or a 3.0 hr leg and a 1.0 hr leg, refuelling in
Muskegeon MI.

Advantages of Muskegeon:
- might be easier to hit my arrival window after only a 1 hour flight
than a 1.5 hour flight
- arrive with more fuel in case they make me cancel IFR and join the herd
doing RIPON-FISK VFR arrivals
Advantages of Saginaw:
- Free hotdogs
- I'll already be at cruise altitude before going feet wet over Lake
Michigan

What do you think?

Advantage of Saginaw... you are already at altitude when you cross the
lake.
Old July 19th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Burns[_1_]

I'd do Saginaw so you don't have to climb over the lake or circle over MKG
while you climb, plus the known fuel quality issue. If you're early you can
ask for a vector, say towards Green Bay, for timing your arrival at FISK.
If you're late, OSH will still be there waiting for you.
Jim

Old July 19th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave Butler[_1_]

Jim Burns wrote:
I'd do Saginaw so you don't have to climb over the lake or circle over MKG
while you climb, plus the known fuel quality issue. If you're early you can
ask for a vector, say towards Green Bay, for timing your arrival at FISK.
If you're late, OSH will still be there waiting for you.

I've only gone IFR into OSH one time, I was a little outside my reservation
window. No questions asked, it was just like any other IFR arrival. I think
unless things are really crazy they will forgive a small miscalculation in your
reservation. There are probably a lot of no-shows on the reservations.

DGB

Jim

Old July 20th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Denny

Saginaw KHYX is my airport... Self serve fuel... 24 hour weather
machine in the lobby... Courtesy car if needed... Plenty of time to
climb to altitude as you go to Ludington for the hop across.. This
allows you to go across the narrow point... WIth a bit of planning you
are never out of reach of shore on the glide...

cheers ... denny

Old July 20th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Denny

Just a parenthetical note from someone who has been going to the EAA
fly-in since before it was Oshkosh... For those who are going there
for the day (or even more), consider landing at Fond-Du-Lac and riding
the bus... Less hassle, less traffic buzzing you from behind, less
taxi in 90 deg. heat, lots to recommend it...

denny

Old July 20th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
john smith

In article . com,
"Denny" wrote:

Just a parenthetical note from someone who has been going to the EAA
fly-in since before it was Oshkosh... For those who are going there
for the day (or even more), consider landing at Fond-Du-Lac and riding
the bus... Less hassle, less traffic buzzing you from behind, less
taxi in 90 deg. heat, lots to recommend it...

Not necessarily!
Depending on the day and time, watch for HEAVY warbird activity!
Old July 24th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

john smith wrote:
In article . com,
"Denny" wrote:

Just a parenthetical note from someone who has been going to the EAA
fly-in since before it was Oshkosh... For those who are going there
for the day (or even more), consider landing at Fond-Du-Lac and riding
the bus... Less hassle, less traffic buzzing you from behind, less
taxi in 90 deg. heat, lots to recommend it...

Not necessarily!
Depending on the day and time, watch for HEAVY warbird activity!

Too many airplanes in too little airspace at both airports.