OSH Sleeping

Old July 12th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Douglas Paterson[_2_]

Default OSH Sleeping

OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

I'm curious about lodging. I snagged a room at the Super 8 on the field.
Outrageous prices, of course, and I also wonder if I'm missing an essential
part of the experience by not camping. A couple of years ago at Sturgis, I
decided I was done with camping--but that was for reasons of my back &
sleeping on the ground. Aside from my back not being what it was 20 years
ago, I enjoy camping, so perhaps a good air mattress would solve my problem,
and that will be easier to pack in a plane than a motorcycle. Any thoughts
here?

--
Doug
"Where am I to go/Now that I've gone too far?" -- Golden Earring, "Twilight

Old July 12th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 12, 12:59*pm, "Douglas Paterson"
wrote:
OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. *Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

I'm curious about lodging. *I snagged a room at the Super 8 on the field.
Outrageous prices, of course, and I also wonder if I'm missing an essential
part of the experience by not camping. *A couple of years ago at Sturgis, I
decided I was done with camping--but that was for reasons of my back &
sleeping on the ground. *Aside from my back not being what it was 20 years
ago, I enjoy camping, so perhaps a good air mattress would solve my problem,
and that will be easier to pack in a plane than a motorcycle. *Any thoughts
here?

I stayed at the university and though it was a great part of the
experience. They open the dorms up to the public during this event.

-robert
Old July 12th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Lou

wrote:
OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

I'm curious about lodging. I snagged a room at the Super 8 on the field.
Outrageous prices, of course, and I also wonder if I'm missing an essential
part of the experience by not camping. A couple of years ago at Sturgis, I
decided I was done with camping--but that was for reasons of my back &
sleeping on the ground. Aside from my back not being what it was 20 years
ago, I enjoy camping, so perhaps a good air mattress would solve my problem,
and that will be easier to pack in a plane than a motorcycle. Any thoughts
here?

I understand the bad back and camping, however with todays air
mattresses, I
think you have some great alternatives. Not to mention the tents that
can be erected to be able to just walk in.
Lou

Old July 12th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Douglas Paterson" wrote

OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

I'm curious about lodging. I snagged a room at the Super 8 on the field.
Outrageous prices, of course, and I also wonder if I'm missing an
essential part of the experience by not camping.

Forget the hotel, if you want true total immersion in the experience.

You give up air conditioning, but it is not so bad without it, most nights
by midnight.

You have to deal with the community showers, but if you don't take them at
peak times, that is not so bad, either.

Air mattresses are great for bad backs. I've had two back surgeries, (both
largely unsuccessful) and I sleep on air mattresses year around at home.
They have better firm (but soft) support than any regular mattress I have
ever tried. For me, camping at OSH, I'm sleeping on my own bed! g

Really, there is something about sleeping on the grounds that you can't
beat. Try it at least one year, and if you don't like it, you can do
something else next year.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 13th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf[_2_]

I like camping by the plane. I suggest a good blackout mask and good ear
plugs.

Jon

Old July 13th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I like camping by the plane. I suggest a good blackout mask and good ear
plugs.

Yep. Especially if you get parked near the road, you *will* need the ear
plugs. They make a world of difference.

The eye mask is useful if (a) you're parked near bright lights, or (b) you
are foolish enough to waste valuable plane-gawking time trying to sleep
during the day at OSH!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 13th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Douglas Paterson" wrote in message ...
[...]

Air mattress works great. Be sure to bring an electric air pump! What year is your plane? Vintage (any plane earlier
than '68) is great and odds are you can park close to the flight line...

Old July 13th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

wrote:
OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. *Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

What part of the country are you from? This California boy would be
miserable camping at OSH. Its hot and the humidity is almost 100% all
the time. Don't bother drying off after you get out of the shower.
Expect water to drip in the inside of your tent as the humdity wets
the inside.

-Robert

Old July 13th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

wrote:
OSH First-Timer (hopefully!) here. Assuming I can get the plane out of
annual in time, I plan to make the trip!

What part of the country are you from? This California boy would be
miserable camping at OSH. Its hot and the humidity is almost 100% all
the time. Don't bother drying off after you get out of the shower.
Expect water to drip in the inside of your tent as the humdity wets
the inside.

-Robert

??? 100% is only during the thunderstorms! We are having a fine year here in MI. Nice cool days ~75-80, humidity right
now is 47%. Along the coast there in CA the humidity is almost always 75-80%. If water is dripping inside your tent, it
is from you most likely...

....but if you are in the desert, that is entirely different.

Old July 13th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf[_2_]

True, Oshkosh is often hot and humid in July. I am from dry Colorado, but I
have been able to sleep comfortably in a tent at Oshkosh. If you haven't
camped in a tent at Oshkosh, you haven't had the full experience! g