Why the Royal Australian Air Force went for Israeli Python-4 AAM's over US AIM-9L's

Old July 14th 03, 05:29 PM
JGB

Which Came First - Terrorism or "Occupation"?

There were 3000 terrorist attempts before the '67 war.

The following is a partial list of documented acts of Arab
errorism, all occurring prior to the beginning of the Israeli
administration of the West Bank and Gaza in 1967:

snip for brevity

Uhmmm...you seem to have left out:

"The Massacre of Baldat al-Shaikh (Dec. 31, 1947) in which over 600
unarmed Palestinian men, women and children were slaughtered;

Never heard of it; never happened. When, where, proof. evidence of any
kind???

Never happened? Do a Google on it and you will come up with an amazing
number of hits for this "never happened" event. One sample:

Well, since there are over 50 ARabs for every Israeli Jew so I would
expect
to see their stories more represented than the ISraeli side of them. I
saw no
Jewish or Israeli references so the following is one of the many
dozens of
Palestinian claims I found regarding this alleged "massac"

"This massacre took place] following an argument which broke out
between Palestinian workers and Zionists in the Haifa Petroleum
Refinery, leading to the deaths of a number of Palestinians and
wounding and killing approximately sixty Zionists."

[My comment: Up to this point in the narrative, I read about an
argument
and sixty "zionists" being killed.]

"... A large number of the Palestinian Arab workers were living in
Baldat al-Shaikh and Hawasa, located in the southeast of Haifa.
Consequently, the Zionists planned to take revenge on behalf of fellow
Zionists who had been killed in the refinery by attacking Baldat
al-Shaikh and Hawasa.1
On the night of January 30-31, 1947, a mixed force composed of the
First Battalion of Palmakh and the Carmelie brigade (estimated at
approximately 150 to 200 Zionist terrorists) launched a raid against
the two towns under the leadership of Hayim Afinu'am.]2 They focused
their attack on the outskirts of Baldat al-Shaikh and Hawasa. Taking
the outlying homes by surprise as their inhabitants slept, they pelted
them with hand grenades, then went inside, firing their machine guns.3
The terrorist attack led to the deaths of approximately sixty citizens
inside their homes, most of them women, elderly and children.4 The
attack lasted for an hour, after which the Zionists withdrew at 2:00
a.m., having attacked a large number of noncombatant homes.5 According
to a report written by the leader of the terrorist operation, "the
attacking units slipped into the town and began working on the houses.
And due to the fact that gunfire was directed inside the rooms, it was
not possible to avoid injuring women and children."6}

[My comment: They say here that the resultant retaliatory strike COULD
NOT POSSIBLY AVOID hitting women and children. So they admit the
attack was not
specifically UPON women and children, but that they were collateral
damage.]
injuring women and children.

"The massacres started early: Major General R. Dare Wilson, who served
with the British troops trying to keep peace in Palestine before the
end of the British Mandate, reported that on Dec. 18, 1947, the
Haganah murdered 10, mostly women and children, in the Arab village of
al-Khisas with grenades and machine gun fire. Wilson also described
how on Dec. 31 the Haganah slaughtered another 14, again mostly women
and children, again using machine guns and throwing grenades into
occupied homes, this time in Balad Esh-Sheikh. [12]
Throughout 1948, the massacres continued: 60 at Sa'sa' on Feb. 15; 100
murdered in Acre after its May 18 seizure by the Haganah; several
hundred at Lydda on July 12, including 80 machine-gunned inside the
Dahmash Mosque; 100 at Dawayma on Oct. 29, with an Israeli eye-witness
reporting that "the children were killed by smashing their skulls with
clubs"; 13 young men mowed down by machine guns in open fields outside
Eilabun on Oct. 30; another 70 young men blindfolded and shot to
death, one after another, at Safsaf the same day; 12 killed at Majd
al-Kurum, also on Oct. 30, with a Belgian U.N. observer writing that
"there is no doubt about these murders"; an unknown number killed the
next day at al-Bi'na and Deir al-Assad, described by a U.N. official
as "wanton slaying without provocation"; 14 "liquidated," according to
the Israeli military's report, at Khirbet al-Wa'ra as-Sauda on Nov. 2.
[13]

Most of the above is bull, and upon closer examination of the facts,
it is
found that JEws were attacked FIRST, and in the retaliatory strikes,
civilians
caught up were collateral damage, often the immediate relatives of the
original
Arab attackers. It's all the usual Arab claims, that its okay for them
attack, but if the JEws hit back it's criminal.

A particularly repugnant method of killing employed by the Jewish
militias was the blowing up of houses with their occupants still
inside, often at night. The militia would place explosive charges
around the stone houses, drench the wooden window and door frames with
gasoline, and then open fire, simultaneously dynamiting and burning
the sleeping inhabitants to death. [14]"

That's only AFTER the hagana would order them to come out and
surrender,
and they refused. As everyone knows, the Arabs gleefully put up their
own
wives, children and aged as shields, and often dress up as women
(literally)
to try to fool the Israelis who are usually loathe to shoot women and
children,
and will often either escape or strike using such lowlife ruses. I do
feel
sorry for Arab children and wives to have such "men" as their heads of
households.

Source: http://www.mediamonitors.net/robinmiller3.html

His number at Baldat al-Shaikh (which he refers to by the alternative
Balad Esh-Sheikh) is quite different from that "five hundred" used in
the other report, but then that is just haggling over the *degree* of
guilt, not that it exists.

No, it is the *USUAL* Arab form of doing business: first exaggerate
the price
or story by a factor of 5 or 10 and then you can haggle down to a more
believable figure. The Arabs are shameless in this and see nothing
wrong with
it. At least the Leftist Jew who lied about the extend of Deir Yassin
only
DOUBLED the number actually killed. The Arabs always start their
exaggerations
or outright lies by an exaggeration factor of 5 to tenfold.

You might also do a Google on "Stern Gang" and "Irgun" if you are
interested in reading *the other side* of the story... the Israelis
(collective) are hardly innocent lambs when it comes to terrorism and
murder.

First of all, they came into being LONG after Arab terrorism began,
indeed
well into the late 1940s, long after the first Palestinian leader, Haj
Amin El
Husseini helped the SS murder thousands of Jews in the Balkans, and
after his
planning a concentration camp that he was ready to set up outside
Nablus as soon as Rommel broke through. At any rate, Jewish terrorism,
which
was really lightweight stuff for the most part compared to the Arabs,
was
late in coming and was condemned by BenGurion's Left-wing Jewish
Agency which
helped the Brits to round them up.

the
Massacre of Dair Yasin (Apr. 10, 1948) in which a whole village of 500
unarmed Palestinian civilians were slaughtered by Israelis;

EVen the Palestinians themselves don't use this lie anymore. I have a
BBC tape where the villagers were interviewed, and altogether, perhaps
114 died, including possibly 25 which indeed were executed ("massacred').
The original figure of 254 was made up by Jewish leftist in order to
discredit Begin and the Irgun which was a rival of the Ben Gurion and
the mainstreat leftists who controlled the zionist movement. And even
the old villagers affirm there were no rapes or mutilations as was
originally alleged and circulated for decade.

Gee, only 114? I guess that makes it OK then (sarcasm switch to "on"
position). By the way, at what point does an atrocity become an
atrocity, in your opinion? If 114 is good-to-go, then all of those
recent Palestinian suicide bombings don't count either?

Most were killed when they fired from the homes, and naturally, having
been
given an offer to surrender (though it is said the sound truck got
caught
in a ditch and so the offer may not have been heard by the Arabs), the
Irgun irregulars returned fire and lobbed grenades into the homes from
which
the men were firing from behind their women and children, as usual.
Many men tried to escape dressed as women, and fired on the IRgun
irregulars,
who admittedly were not well trained being most recently arrived
concentration camp survivors, who indeed went overboard in rounding up
some of these
snivelling Arab dogs who would dress as women and fire from behind
their
own children, and had them shot and thrown down wells. There were
about
25 such, with the rest having died in normal battle which they could
have
avoided had they surrendered.

BTW, I did not mention the massacres by Arabs of hundreds of Jews that occured
in the 1920s and '30s, not to mention during the '48 war.

Check out the founding date for the Irgun, if you want to be
completely fair about this issue. How about the killing of Bernadotte?
Was that OK as well?

When was the Irgun founded? I should think after 1939, certainly long
after
such atrocities as the cold blooded murder of 64 yeshiva students in
Hebron
in 1929 who weren't even zionists. As for Bernadotte, that is a tough
one.
He was using his "Jew savior" status from WWII to try to reverse the
Partition vote of NOvember 1947, which would have reversed the vote
and
quashed the idea of a Jewish state after the UN vote had been voted
on and passed. Should the Stern group have assassinated him for that?
I can't say. I know the Arabs assassinated people left and right for
much
less than that and I don't see why the JEws have to be THAT much
better than
the Arabs. If your opponent is a ruthless, soulless and bloodthirsty,
how
goody-goody can you be? I mean, the US bombed Japanese and German
cities to
rubble even though no US cities were bombed during WWII. Does that
mean
that Americans are more ruthless and bloodthirsty than the Germans or
Japanese? THe answer is, that when you are dealing with ruthless
creatures
you cannot be pristine and expect to win with the help of angels. Even
in the bible that's relatively rare.

(some more Arab fabrications and wild exaggerations deleted for
brevity).

Listen Kevin, most of the stuff you listed either never happened or
were WILDLY exaggerated,

Given that you think 114 is an OK amount of dead, or for that matter
the 25 that you acknowledge were executed, I am not surprised that you
find this all rather inconsequential.

In battle people get killed. If our troops are being fired upon from
houses in Baghdad, I should hope our troops will not overly risk their
lives.
Of course they ought to throw grenades into the houses and not overly
risk
their own lives trying to sneak inside and overly exposing themselves.
And if some women
and children that their fathers chose to hide behind are killed, well
whose fault is that? It's the fault of those shooting from their
houses,
of course. I mean, what are our troops supposed to do, stage
month-long
Waco siege around every house they are being fired upon from?
As for the 25 actually "massacred" afterwards, their craven
manner,using
women's clothing to disguise themselves, and fire on the Jews, and the
like,
warrant their summary removal from the gene pool.

Now, even though you acknowledge
at least one incident of cold-blooded executions, can you tell me how
many Israelis, in the entire history of the nation, have been
arrested, tried, and/or convicted of terrorist-type attacks on
Palestinians? Given that the Stern Gang and Irgun did really exist,
and did really do some rather nasty things, one would think that some
number of Israelis have been held accountable for acts which occured
over the last 50-plus years...but to my knowledge, the answer would be
along the lines of the Bernadotte murder, where the case remains
"unsolved"...but hey, that's OK, right? Israelis are to be applauded
for committing murders and executions, but
by-golly-those-Palestinians-better-cough-up-every-terrorist-RIGHT
NOW...?

Where are the Arab condemnations of Haj Amin El Husseini, Arafat's
uncle,
who worked with Hitler in Berlin in helping him with the Holocaust? A
declared war criminal, no less than any major Nazi SS bigwig, he
ultimately
escaped justice and died peacefully in Cairo in 1974. As a declared
war
criminal at the Nuremberg trials, no one in the Arab world seem to do
much
to help extradite him to justice.
But ISrael is not asking that every terrorist be "coughed up." Israel
is
demanding that the PA disband Hamas and all other terror groups in the
same way that the IRgun, Stern group and others were disbanded and
became
part of the singular IDF after 1949. There can only be ONE Palestinian
militia
and not a myriad of them operating independently, just as there is one
ISraeli army and not a dozen Israeli militias.

just like "Comical ALi's" assertions of no
US marines in Baghdad. Massive lying is an old ARab tradition.

And apparently a new Israeli one.

At any rate, if we want to go back to determine who spilled blood first,
Arabs or Jews, I can confidently assert that Muhammad the Prophet committed
a massacre of 600 Jews near Medina (Yathrib originally founded by Jews in
Arabia), enslaving their women and children, robbing them of their wealth, and
ethnically cleansing the remainder out of the Hijaz (northern Arabia and
what is now Jordan), an edict which stands to this day. ARabs drew FIRST
blood, both in the seventh century and in the 20th century. They put their
mosques on Jewish soil, not the other way round. THere are no synagogues
on ARabian soil. Arabs are the aggressors; Jews are the defenders.

No, it is not about who was first--it is about realizing that the
violence has gone *both* ways, instead of trying to portray all
Muslims as evil murderers and all Israelis as White Knights. But you
can't admit to that, because it would tarnish your "Israel is
good/Arabs are evil" foundation for this entire discussion.

I don't tarnish Americans by calling them evil just because they
killed more
German and Japanese civilians. I still maintain that in WWII, the
Japanese
and Germans were more evil than the Americans despite the latter.

Uhmmm...do you have anything a bit more concrete? And just how did
these Pakistanis manage to go 10-0 during a war where most Arab
airpower was destroyed on the ground or never got into the fight?
Lastly, why bother? Your point regarding alleged Pakistani pilots
involved in the 67 War would be germane to the present issues exactly
*how*?

I don't know how true it is, but the Israeiis did lose 50 planes in that
war, and Pakis have long proudly claimed that their pilots were among
the few Muslim pilots that downed ISraeli jets. They make the claim, and
I have no verification of it, one way or the other.
Is it germane? Well, it might have something to do with why the US is hesitating
to supply Pakistan with the F-16s it paid for long ago. That, and the fact
that I suppose they can carry nuclear weapons.

The first is a non-issue as regards the F-16's; they were embargoed
because of the nuclear program. The US frowns on proliferation...but
Israel? Different view, apparently, as backed up by their cooperation
with the former South African nuclear weapons program...

That was way back in the 1970s, and only because the Arabs had bought
virtually
all the black African states into going against Israel. This despite
the fact
that in 1958 Israel was the first country in the UN to condemn
apartheid,
and had the largest technical aid assistance program in Africa,
proportionately
speaking. SO it was the perfidy of the black states that forced Israel
go over to doing business with SA.

First of all, as I have often stated before, nukes are a Jewish invention and
that fact alone gives ISrael the right to have them.

Now that is perverted logic if I have ever heard it. Nerve gas was a
German invention--does that give Germany the right to posses it?

Was it? Or was it a British invention? At any rate, there is an
international
ban against anyone having nerve gas, whereas there is no such ban
against
nukes. What there is is the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty where
countries
that disavow making nukes are allowed to purchase nuclear materials on
the
world market. Since Israel is NOT a signatory, it may not purchase
nuclear
materials, such as reactors, on the world market. Contrary to popular
misunderstanding, the NPT and the IAEA do not make it illegal for
countries
to make nuclear weapons, PROVIDED they do not obtain any materials
abroad.
But if a country has EVERYTHING it needs to make nukes within its own
borders, it has the sovereign right to make nukes.

And all of the other
states in the region are recognized and no one is threatening to wipe them
off the map.

Except Israel, with its nukes, right?

Israel has not officially declared itself a nuclear state, and had not
officially threatened anyone. But Israel has always claimed the right
preempt, just as the US now officially does.

I don't think there is a nation on earth, including the US, that
has a greater right to nukes than does Israel. And Israel has the right to
preemptively strike at any state in the region that is hostile to ISrael
and seeking WMD to destroy Israel.

More perverted logic. The way you portray it, Israel is a purely
Machiavellian Institution, and whatever it chooses to do defines
"right", instead of having policies that follow "right".

In fact, i believe the main reason the
US went to war in Iraq was to avoid a possible nuclear strike by Israel on
Iraq.

You are joking, right?

No, I am not. I agree that Iraq did not really pose a direct threat to
the
US. Saddam did pose a threat to ISrael, and if the US did not get rid
of him
using its mighty conventional power, ISrael would have had to do so
eventually
using nukes if it thought Saddam was developing them again.

At any rate, no Arab or Muslim had anything to do with inventing
nukes as did Jewish scientists.

More warped reasoning. Israel had nothing to do with the invention of
either the motorcar or the airplane--so they have no right to them?

ISrael has failed as a major manufacturer of planes and automobiles

If Iran or any state in the region threatens
Israel with WMD it can expect a nuclear attack by Israel at any time. Israel
is too small to wait to absorb a first strike.

Puhlease...get real.

That's a REAL as I can get. ANd trust me,that's the MAIN reason why
Bush is
involved in the Middle East. It has little to do with oil or any
direct
threat to the US. It has mainly to do with avoiding an eventual
nuclear
war in the ME, if at all possible.

The reality is, that Israel is a tiny state comprised of mostly 5
million
Jews, most of the male population of whom serves for weeks annually
in the reserves for most of their adult
lives, and which faces not only 4 million Arab enemies internally,

Nope. I like the Taiwanese.

WE defend the Taiwanese more than we defend Israel.

LOL! Harken back to 73 and the DEFCON status that Nixon placed us at

Rumblings? That was AFTER the war had already started and the Soviet
resupply of the Egyptians was already going on for days! Nixon didn't
want to be seen as not backing ISrael while the Russians were pumping
in resupplies to the Egyptians, and threatening direct intervention if
Sharon destroyed the Egyptian army! The US STOPPED Sharon from killing
the surrounded Egyptian armies in Sinai from thirst. Obviously, the
US
could not allow the Soviets to unilaterally intervene, but it did
pressure Sharon to let up. If not, SHaron would gone to Cairo and
forced
a surrender of Egypt.

Rcall
that US Patriots and crews went to Israel during ODS. And remember
that we are not giving Taiwan billions of bucks each and every year.
Consider those FACTS, and then you might begin to get a clue...

The Patriots were always of symbolic importance, and only recently of
some limited value, though they did shoot down a few friendly planes.

As for not giving Taiwan a few billion bucks, we actually gave Taiwan
HELLUVA LOT more INDIRECT aid than to Israel. How? After the Vietnam
war
we looked the other way as Taiwan and the other "Asian Tigers" knocked
off US goods left and right, such as clothing, Apple Computers,
software
in Singapore, etc., to the tune of possibly TRILLIONS of dollars! And
despite
outcries by Apple and scores of other domestic companies, we did
nothing
about the cloning, knockoffs, and intellectual property ripoffs! Why
not?
Because after our defeat in Vietnam, we WANTED the Asian countries
surrounding China to get rich as quickly as possible, to immunize them
against communist
influence. Our domestic producers took a trillion dollar hit, or more.
These
countries didn't just go from rice paddies to chip fabrication plants
like
that, ya know! And this strategy of turning a blind eye in the '70s to
Asian ripoffs of US goods worked like a charm! It's not by a pure
fluke
that Taiwan, with only 20 million people has a foreign reserve SURPLUS
of
something like $90 billion dollars, the largest in the world!
It has more foreign reserves than all the aid the US has given to
ISrael
in 50 years combined! It and it didn't get that way purely from hard
work
and good luck either!

At any rate, I reiterate, if the US sells Egypt and Saudi
Arabia modern equipment, why shouldn't Israel sell to China, Cuba or anyone
who can pay for it? Israel also sells to the US. So ISrael ought to do
the same as the US, and arms BOTH sides. Why is this wrong?

Because we are footing the bill. Can the aid to Israel, and they can
sell to whomever they darned well choose--but they should not be
allowed to have it both ways. Kind of like what my father used to tell
me--"As long as I pay the bills, you live by *my* rules." We are
paying the bills.

You've got that ass-backwards! We give ISrael aid in order to CONTROL
its
arms sales and its foreign policy, as well as competition with US
companies.
WE'd much rather give Israel $3 billion in aid than have it freely
sell to whomever it wanted to just as the US does,in order to earn its
own keep by itself.
Old July 14th 03, 07:48 PM
Quant

(Kevin Brooks) wrote in message . com...
(JGB) wrote in message . com...
(phil hunt) wrote in message ...

Which Came First - Terrorism or "Occupation"?

There were 3000 terrorist attempts before the '67 war.

The following is a partial list of documented acts of Arab
errorism, all occurring prior to the beginning of the Israeli
administration of the West Bank and Gaza in 1967:

snip for brevity

Uhmmm...you seem to have left out:

"The Massacre of Baldat al-Shaikh (Dec. 31, 1947) in which over 600
unarmed Palestinian men, women and children were slaughtered;

Never heard of it; never happened. When, where, proof. evidence of any
kind???

Never happened? Do a Google on it and you will come up with an amazing
number of hits for this "never happened" event. One sample:

I did a google search on "Protocols of Elders of Zion" and found
numerous sites about it.

I never heard about a place called Baldat al-Shaikh. Where is it?

All the sites talking about this "Baldat al-Shaikh" are sites of Arabs
or leftist extremists. I didn't found even one decent site to pour
info on this subject. It sounds like an Urban legend to me.

There are many other Urban legends. The only story that has a grain of
truth in it is Dir Yasin.

btw, did yiu know that 1% !! of the Jewish population of Israel was
killed during the independence war? In American numbers it would be
2.8 million people.

[...]

Massacre of Lid (July 11, 1948) in which about 426 unarmed
Palestinians were slaughtered;

More fabricated myths of events that never occurred.

You'd call it Lod, and the number of dead, and their status as
combatants/non-combatants, receives different treatment in various
sources. There was reference to the forced eviction of the Arab
civilians by Rabin, who was present when it happened and commented
about the need to use "warning shots" as they herded them down the
road.

the Massacre of Kufr Qasim (Oct. 29,
1956) in which 50 Palestinian men, women and children were killed; the
Massacre of Khan Younis refugee camp (Nov. 3, 1956) in which 250
Palestinians were killed and nine days later, another 275 Palestinians
were killed..." (Source: www.bsudailynews.com/vnews/display.v/
ART/2002/12/03/3dec367c1b9df
That too is only a partial list. Rememeber that bit about shades of
gray?

Listen Kevin, most of the stuff you listed either never happened or
were WILDLY exaggerated,

Given that you think 114 is an OK amount of dead, or for that matter
the 25 that you acknowledge were executed, I am not surprised that you
find this all rather inconsequential. Now, even though you acknowledge
[...]

BTW, did you know that Pakistani pilots downed a number of Israeli
planes
in '67? I don't dismiss either the Jordanians or the Pakistanis if
Israel
had to face them.

Odd, but Michael Oren's recent book, "Six Days of War: June 1967 and
the Making of a Modern Middle East" (Presidio, 2002), seems to have
missed that little factoid (and Oren, being a former Israeli
governmental official, would have presumably picked up on that, as he
was rather careful to address how all of the regional nations
reacted--yet he never *once* mentions Pakistan...). I hate to be
repetitive, but any real evidence of this? Given your distinct
aversion to providing *any* evidence, that is...

http://www.scramble.nl/pk.htm

"The Six-Day War between Israel and a number of Arab countries in
1967.
During this conflict the PAF sent personnel to Egypt, Jordan and Syria
to support the Arabs in their battle against the Israelis. PAF pilots
managed to shoot down ten Israeli aircraft, including Mirages,
Mystères and Vautours, without losses on their own side. The PAF
pilots operated with Egyptian, Jordanese and Iraqi combat aircraft. "

[...]

We do face a potential threat, on a regional basis, from the PRC in
the not-too-distant future; denying the obvious in that regard will
not do you any good. We are following a policy of cautious
constructive engagement at present, but that is only going to be
successful for as long as we are prepared to be more forceful (and
having the PRC realize that) when/if required. Israel's continued
provision of late-generation military products and technology to the
PRC can hardly be considered a *good* thing by USians, now can it?

In fact, the presumed challenge of the PRC to the US is as nothing
compared
to the challenge of the Muslims to ISrael.

So now it is all Muslims who are the enemy of Israel? Are you racist
much? Uhmmm...what about those *Turkish* Muslims that Israel is
selling so much combat power to these days?

Pakistan is a nuclear state
with
at least 150 nukes, and Iran soon will be. When you add in Egypt,
Syria,
Saudi Arabia and all the vast numbers enemies of ISrael's very
existence,
the PRC threat to the US is less than a gnat to a whale compared to
the
Muslim threat to Israel.

Oh, nooo, Mr. Bill! Nations in the outlying region may become nuclear
powers, or already are?! How dare they! That is obviously the sole
purview of Israel (which is a nuclear power as well, predating those
you mention by a period of decades)... Come on, get real--you are
condemning other nations for the very same course of action that
Israel has taken?

[...]

Ah, so all of the Palestinians are enemies of Israel, even those that
are Israeli citizens?

Every Muslim is ipso facto an enemy of ISrael,

Yup, racist. And not a very original one at that.

unless he is of that
very
small minority that accepts that the Israelites mentioned in the Koran
and today's Jews have some historic connection. Look, is every Chinese
an enemy of America?

Nope. I like the Taiwanese.

WE defend the Taiwanese more than we defend Israel.

LOL! Harken back to 73 and the DEFCON status that Nixon placed us at
that US Patriots and crews went to Israel during ODS. And remember
that we are not giving Taiwan billions of bucks each and every year.
Consider those FACTS, and then you might begin to get a clue...

WE sell Israel's enemies
military equipment but the US does not sell the PRC military equipment to
use against Taiwan.

You keep saying that, and then you never can come up with any real
evidence that Egypt or Jordan are really still "enemies" of Israel...

ANd yet you hold up the sale of a few antiquated
weapons
by ISrael to the PRC as some big deal while you arm the Arabs and
other
Muslims to the teeth.

Antiquated weapons? I guess I should expect that kind of laughable
description from a guy who couldn't tell the difference beween AMRAAM
and Python, and who was quite convinced that not only the US but also
the RAAF had deployed the latter. Phalcon sure as heck is/was not
"antiquated", nor is the radar that the Israelis are marketing to the
PRC for the J-10, nor is the HMSS that they are also trying (if they
have not already done so--sort of murky) to sell to the PLAAF. You
have been singing the praises of Python, which the PRC produces under
license (-3 variant), and we have numerous reports that later models
have been, or are being, marketed to the PLAAF as well, but now all of
a sudden in order to suit your argument you want to call them
"antiquated" as well? Flip-flop much?

IN terms of OFFENSIVE weaponry, the equipment sold to China was no match
for US equipment.

But you said we were foolish for not buying Python ourselves, and now
you claim it is an inferior product. Want it both ways, don't you? And
how are Python, Phalcon, that Elbit/Elta radar for the J-10, and that
HMSS all lumped together as purely "defensive" weapons? You are as far
off the mark here as you were when you classified Python (now
apparently a piece of worthless junk, in your opinion) as "AMRAAM"...

At any rate, I reiterate, if the US sells Egypt and Saudi
Arabia modern equipment, why shouldn't Israel sell to China, Cuba or anyone
who can pay for it? Israel also sells to the US. So ISrael ought to do
the same as the US, and arms BOTH sides. Why is this wrong?

Because we are footing the bill. Can the aid to Israel, and they can
sell to whomever they darned well choose--but they should not be
allowed to have it both ways. Kind of like what my father used to tell
me--"As long as I pay the bills, you live by *my* rules." We are
paying the bills.

Israel was better off with inferior Soviet equipment in ARab hands.

The evidence does not support that theory. While Egypt was being armed
by the Soviets they fought two major wars (67 and 73) with israel,
while since the US has taken over as a major security partner with
Egypt they have fought...nada, zip, none.

The US already forced Israel to give them back every inch of the Sinai already.
AND gives Egypt $2.8 billion in annual aid. SO what could they gain from
attacking ISrael NOW? Unless they felt they could destroy it and get away
with it.

Exactly. Which proves they are no longer a serious threat to Israel.
Now that was not that hard to admit, was it?

While the
argument that the US has better control over its more sophisticated
equipment
in Arab hands has some merit, I wouldn't be totally dismissive of Arab
capabilities to eventually master this technology. I'm not that
racist.

Yep, you are if you like to use that "all Muslims" brushstroke that
you are so quick with.

All Muslims who say that the Temple MOunt does not belong to the Jews
at all, and that they have the right to Jerusalem, and that ISrael is
sitting on Arab/Muslim land is anti-Jewish and hence a mortal enemy, just
like the Nazis. They deny the right of Jewish existence.

BZZZ! Sorry, you automatically lose this debate by virtue of trying to
use a backhanded delivery of the Nazi Card. Can't win without it, huh?

The US can always leave the area; Israel has to live there.

Which is why they should learn to be a decent neighbor.

Israel is living amidst criminals and looters just the same as were seen
n Iraq, whose only desire is to destroy and LOOT what the Jews built there
over the last century.

Not unlike the looting of former Arab villages by...Israelis.

It's why the Palestinians left,figuring that the
Jews would be crushed in a matter of weeks and that they would then be
able to loot everything the Jews had built over 30 or more years prior to
1948. They gambled wrong, and lost, but refused to give up their quest.
I don't think they ever will. Time will tell.

read a bit and you will find that a lot of them left under duress,
with folks like the Stern Gang and Irgun pushing from behind while the
Palmach did its own share of forced evictions (like Lod).

UN Res 242.

What about it?

It clearly stated that that Israel was to give up those settlements
and that land.

Does not. It says Israel must return occupied territories. It returned
90% of them already, but will not "return" disputed lands without peace
treaties. There is a peace treaty with Jordan. There is no country called
Palestine to make a treaty with. Syria refuses to negotiate unless it is
promised everything back in advance. Utter insanity. Why should aggressors
be allowed to get ALL of the land back, especally when it is disputed land?
Golan is first mentioned in the bible. Israel does not have to return Jewish
land, only occupied Arab land.

Yeah, sure. First the nazi Card, now the Bible defense...

Supporting evidence of WHAT???

All of your assertions, i.e., "Egypt remains a grave threat to
Israel", "Israel only sells antiquated military goods to the PRC",
"Begin and Bentov were left-wing radicals whose statements regarding
the 67 War are inconsequential", and maybe "All Muslims are rabid
Israel-haters (except for Turkey, which is OK because they pay for
things from Israel, right?)".

Some Egyptian parliamentarians have called for Egypt to build nuclear weapons.

Sorry, you already agreed that you were wrong about Egypt being a
serious threat.

I go along with the Bush-Sharon policy that any state now seeking to acquire
nukes has to be attacked before it gets them.

That is NOT the Bush policy.

Turkey is not an Arab state, though it is Muslim. The ARab muslims are the
craziest of the lot. They started the whole mess in the first place.

Sorry, you quite clearly said all Muslims. Now you want to say that
Muslims who happen to live in a nation providing payments to Israel
for weapons are OK folks... double standard much?

Brooks

Old July 14th 03, 07:54 PM
Quant

(phil hunt) wrote in message ...

[...]

Israelis never perpetrate terror for a purpose of terror. Not even
once in the history of Israel, not even by one organization.

For example, before the Battle of Dir Yasin :
(taken from: http://www.etzel.org.il/ac17.htm)

Strict orders were given to the fighters not to harm children and
elders. Strict orders were given about treatment of captives. It was
specifically ordered to take captive every Arab that will surrender.
On an armored car a loudspeaker was installed and the Israelis
announced when they approached that anyone who will leave the village
will not be hurt. Israel lost 1% of its population in this war and
that the fightings were done by several different organizations and by
untrained civilians (we didn't have one organised army then). The
measures taken before the battle are something you won't find in other
places in history in similar situations. This battle is the only known
battle were Arab were murdered, or massacred if you want to, and still
the stories about rapes etc. are lies.

Urban legends were born on 2002 too, for example on the battle in
Jenin. Strict measures not to harm citizens were enacted by the IDF,
and still we all know the Urban legends of Jenin. On 2002 for a
change, Israel had the technology to prove the Arab lies and
photographed a fake funeral of Arabs in Jenin.

Old July 14th 03, 10:42 PM
Peter Kemp

On 14 Jul 2003 09:29:34 -0700, (JGB) wrote:

"This massacre took place] following an argument which broke out
between Palestinian workers and Zionists in the Haifa Petroleum
Refinery, leading to the deaths of a number of Palestinians and
wounding and killing approximately sixty Zionists."

[My comment: Up to this point in the narrative, I read about an
argument
and sixty "zionists" being killed.]

Well you're not reading it correctly then. 60 casualties, including
both killed and wounded is what was said, and in almost every battle
(armed or otherwise) the number of wounded far far outweighs the
killed totals.

[...]

Again reading comprehension not your spaciality. It makes no mention
of the terrorists even attempting to avoid women and children, nor of
them targetting anything except Palestinians. Unless you can point to
a phrase where the specific target was mentioned?

snip hundreds more lines, without a word on military aviation

Old July 15th 03, 01:07 AM
JGB

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message ...
In message , JGB
writes
If AIM-9X were better than Python then Israel would buy it in preference
to its domestic product.

Yeah, right.

No nation is immune to the "home field advantage" argument.

In most cases, I agree, but with Israel NOT when it comes to such
decisive weapons as air to air missiles, radars, and the like. When it comes
to equipment of secondary importance that are not pivotal to the winning
or losing of a WAR, that may be true. But not when the very EXISTENCE of
your country DEPENDS on your pilots winning every dogfight! I don't think
Americans can understand that because the only existential wars the US
ever fought were the War of independence, the Civil War, and probably
WWII, though we did have British and Russian allies. ISrael generally
has to fight alone and MUST win its major wars or lose the country.
ISraeli pilot MUST have equipment second to none on the planet, or possibly
lose the country, no matter who manufactures it.
Old July 15th 03, 06:07 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , JGB
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
No nation is immune to the "home field advantage" argument.

In most cases, I agree, but with Israel NOT when it comes to such
decisive weapons as air to air missiles, radars, and the like.

Which explains why Israel flew the Mirage III (whose entire close air
combat repertoire consists of "bleed speed so fast the enemy
overshoots") equipped with the 'Helen Keller' Cyrano radar, and armed it
with the Matra R.530? Your argument fails to match the facts...

Examining their procurement history, they've bought (or been given)
whatever they could acquire, depending on who their ally de jour was;
and relied on superior training to get a winning performance. (Not a bad
formula, either).

Their home-grown development work tends to be politically motivated
rather than military-driven - for instance, maintaining an indigenous
AAM capability (and hence local control of supply and development) is
seen as more important than the notionally greater capability of foreign
purchase.

I don't think
Americans can understand that because the only existential wars the US
ever fought were the War of independence, the Civil War, and probably
WWII, though we did have British and Russian allies.

Who's 'we'? I'm British.

ISrael generally
has to fight alone and MUST win its major wars or lose the country.
ISraeli pilot MUST have equipment second to none on the planet, or possibly
lose the country, no matter who manufactures it.

By that argument, Israel would never have accepted the M60 tank for
frontline use, let alone kept it this long (to say nothing of the
upgunned Shermans...) Again, the history flatly contradicts your claims.

--
When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite.
W S Churchill

Paul J. Adam
Old July 15th 03, 07:12 PM
JGB

(Kevin Brooks) wrote in message . com...
(JGB) wrote in message . com...
snip

Most of the above is bull, and upon closer examination of the facts,
it is
found that JEws were attacked FIRST, and in the retaliatory strikes,
civilians
caught up were collateral damage, often the immediate relatives of the
original
Arab attackers. It's all the usual Arab claims, that its okay for them
attack, but if the JEws hit back it's criminal.

Gee, it seems you have been parroting exactly the opposite; any
atrocity committed against Palestinians by Israelis is OK, but golly,
heaven forbid the Palestinians do likewise...

Again! Arabs, starting with Muhammad, drew first BLOOD! Capice? THey killed
Jews first! Unless you can prove to me from ANY source that JEws killed
an Arab first! Even from Islamic literature! He who kills first should not
complain when he gets his desserts last.

[...]

LOL! No, "everybody" does not know any such thing. And wasn't there a
rather famous case in Lebanon back in the eighties where an Israeli
commando was dressed up as a woman in order to make a hit on a
terrorist target? Which means you would be condemning the Israelis as
well...?

Yes, former Prime Minister Barak himself did so in his attack in Lebanon.
We do learn, ya know. We learned from the Nazis, the ARabs and everyone
else their ruses used to kill us. The Jews had to learn from their
enemies as we had no experience in such things since Roman times. Naturally
we learn from our enemies. We'd be dead or crazy not to.

Source:
http://www.mediamonitors.net/robinmiller3.html
So you are saying it was OK for the israelis to execute those folks,
right? But the Palestinians are evil for merely exaggerating the scope
of the tragedy? Odd sense of values you have there...

Do unto thy enemies as they are doing unto you. America bombed civilians
to death in the hundreds of thousands to win WWII. But America did not
start with bombing of civilian targets. The Nazis and Japs started it, and
the US finished it. Why not?

You might also do a Google on "Stern Gang" and "Irgun" if you are
interested in reading *the other side* of the story... the Israelis
(collective) are hardly innocent lambs when it comes to terrorism and
murder.

First of all, they came into being LONG after Arab terrorism began,
indeed well into the late 1940s,

Nope, try the late 30's, IIRC (1936 in the case of the IZL).

Still well after Arab gangs were killing Jews by the score.

long after the first Palestinian leader, Haj
Amin El Husseini helped the SS murder thousands of Jews in the Balkans, and
after his
planning a concentration camp that he was ready to set up outside
Nablus as soon as Rommel broke through. At any rate, Jewish terrorism,
which
was really lightweight stuff for the most part compared to the Arabs,
was
late in coming and was condemned by BenGurion's Left-wing Jewish
Agency which
helped the Brits to round them up.

Uhmmm...and how did the Israeli government help in rounding up the
murders of Bernadotte? How many of those murderers were convicted for
the atrocity at Deir Yassin?

I don't know, but if your enemy has no scruples, why should you have more?
Total war is total war. They started it. Don't expect Israel to be Boy
SCouts while they are using every underhanded trick imaginable.

[...]

You ought to take up writing really bad B-movie scripts, the way you
manage to get that "as usual" in.

They're still doing the same kind of thing in Iraq. Terrorism IS Arab
warfare!!! They've never had any other kind in their history, starting
with Muhammad. They've never been able to fight in organized units the
way western armies learned to do in Greek times or earlier. WEre that
not the case, Israel would never have survived from day one. Arabs appear
incapable of the cohesion necessary to fight in organized units, except
in terrorist type organizations. The English trained Bedouins of the
Jordanian army fared somewhat better, for a while, but even so they seem
to lack the kind of cohesiveness and discipline under fire absolutely
essential to fight in the "modern" ways of warfare, unless, of course,
you consider terrorism to BE the most "modern" form of warfare.

Many men tried to escape dressed as women, and fired on the IRgun
irregulars,
who admittedly were not well trained being most recently arrived
concentration camp survivors, who indeed went overboard in rounding up
some of these
snivelling Arab dogs

Yep, real sense of equitable treatment you exhibit here; dehumanizing
the other side, eh?

When they act like humans, I'll attribute it to them accordingly. The
Jordanians acted somewhat better, because they were English trained and
led.

who would dress as women and fire from behind
their
own children, and had them shot and thrown down wells. There were
about
25 such, with the rest having died in normal battle which they could
have
avoided had they surrendered.

Your tale is truly spellbinding...but unfortunately, it is only a
tale.

It's the truth, unless you have a more convincing story.

As for Bernadotte, that is a tough
one.
He was using his "Jew savior" status from WWII to try to reverse the
Partition vote of NOvember 1947, which would have reversed the vote
and
quashed the idea of a Jewish state after the UN vote had been voted
on and passed.

Bull****. He was trying to come up with a compromise that would allow
for both a Jewish State and a Palestinian Sate in what is now Israel
and the Occupied Territories.

WRONG!!! The Partition was already voted on! An Arab state was already
authorized, as well as a Jewish state!!! But due to the civil war that
immediately erupted (i.e., terror attacks on the Jews) after the
Partition vote in 1947, there was backpedaling. Bernadotte thought he
was trying to avoid bloodshed by trying to gather and file a report that
would have in effect reversed the Partition decision, and possibly put
all of Palestine under UN administration - something the Arabs wanted,
and the JEws certainly did not! The Arabs wanted to reverse the Partition
vote as they wanted an Arab state where the Jews would AT BEST be a
minority AGAIN! That's why the tough decision to "off him" was made by
the underground. Once again, the JEws were to be cheated, this time by a
supposed "Jew lover." They're the worst!

His last proposal was for the Israelis
to give up the Negev to the Arabs, while the Arabs would give up all
of Galilee to Israel. *Both* sides rejected the proposal. As one
contemporary author has noted, Bernadotte was the target of a "smear"
campaign orchestrated by those who realized that, while he would be
sympathetic to the jewish cause, he would also not roll-over
completely to their every demand and desire. For that, he was
condemned to die.

I'm not aware of it.

Should the Stern group have assassinated him for that?
I can't say.

I am not surprised. Your selective moral stance (all things Jewish are
"good", all things Arab "bad", no matter how distasteful the acts of
*either* party are) is already well in evidence.

If the Nazis kill you, you're in your rights to kill them. In the Bible,
the Prophet Samuel berates and indeed takes away the kingdom from Saul
and gives it to David because Saul did not annihilate totally Amalek as
he was ordered, whereas David was called a "man of God" for having stood up
to GOliath and cut his head off! THere is nothing in the OT Hebrew bible
that says that the Jews are to fight with velvet gloves when they
are fighting a mortal enemy who wants to annihilate us.

I know the Arabs assassinated people left and right for
much
less than that and I don't see why the JEws have to be THAT much
better than
the Arabs.

The Israelis have always *demanded* retribution or conviction of those
that harmed Jews, but they have a strange history of not applying that
in the reverse case. Double standard at its best!

Demanded but hardly got it. How many Nazis died for the murder of 6 million
Jews? A few hundred at most? Where is the eye for an eye?

If your opponent is a ruthless, soulless and bloodthirsty,

Dehumanizing again, I see. How do those adjectives apply to the IZL or
Stern Gang members?

They were retaliating, not initiating.

how
goody-goody can you be? I mean, the US bombed Japanese and German
cities to
rubble even though no US cities were bombed during WWII.

That's war, and conducted within the context of the laws of warfare.

Bull****. What laws?

We also held Calley accountable for his actions (or lack thereof) at
My Lai.

Was he executed?

We convicted a US Army sergeant of rape and murder in Kosovo.
How many Israelis have been held accountable for bad acts? Oh, that's
right, I forgot: they *aren't* accountable, only the Arabs are...

How many Arabs were executed for terrorism? Answer: NONE.
THERE is no death penalty in Israel, except for genocide. ONly Eichmann
was executed in Israel. Oh, sure, Israel will target terrorists, and kill
them on the battlefield before they surrender, but once they surrender,
they only get a jail sentence. And often they've been allowed to go in
exchange for something or other, as Hamas is now demanding.

I have grown tired of what has become a completely off-topic
discussion, and one that you apply such selective moral standards to.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander; Israel has sown as
well as reaped. If you can't bring yourself to face that fact, I am
sorry for you. Hopefully you at least learned in this set of exchanges
that the Python is not AMRAAM, Israel does indeed sell advanced
weapons to the PRC, and neither the US nor RAAF have adopted Python. I
am afraid the deeper moral issues are too far over your head.
Adios.

There is nothing over my head except roof, sky,space, galaxies and God.
I don't claim Israel is necessarily MORE moral than its mortal enemies,
nor do I know why she should be. But overall Israel has little to be
ashamed of when compared to the actions of others who've had much less
provocation. After all, 9/11 was the FIRST time a US city was bombed
by its foreign enemies, at least since WWII that I know of. The US has
not suffered even a minute fraction what Israelis have had to suffer
since 1920, and even earlier. As I said, I think Israel's overall record
has little, if anything in it to be ashamed of.

Old July 16th 03, 01:44 AM
Matthew G. Saroff

"Keith Willshaw" wrote:

If you think the Aim-9 series of missiles is second rate you ought
to change your choice of recreational drug. I'm a great fan
of both ASRAAM and Python but lets not get silly here.

It's just that it's an old 5" airframe. With increasing
needs for agility, you require better kinematics (a bigger engine
with more fuel), and the airframe is getting long in the tooth.
The more modern IR AAMS have a 6" airframe, with about
50% more internal volume.
--
--Matthew Saroff
_____ * For a succesful technology, *

Old July 16th 03, 03:36 PM
JGB

(Peter Stickney) wrote in message ...
In article ,
"Paul J. Adam" writes:
In message , JGB
writes
"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
.. .
No nation is immune to the "home field advantage" argument.

In most cases, I agree, but with Israel NOT when it comes to such
decisive weapons as air to air missiles, radars, and the like.

Which explains why Israel flew the Mirage III (whose entire close air
combat repertoire consists of "bleed speed so fast the enemy
overshoots") equipped with the 'Helen Keller' Cyrano radar, and armed it
with the Matra R.530? Your argument fails to match the facts...

And the Super Mystere B.2. An effective aircraft as long as you
didn't have to go anywhere or carry anything. All the disadvantages
of a supersonic fighter (The need to monitor AOA closely, and some sot
so nice pitch-up and adverse yaw characteristics, and a thirsty
afterburner) combined with the slow speed and limited systems of a
transonic fighter. Well, I do exaggerate some. Truth be told,
though, if I had a choice between an SMB.2 nad a MiG-19, I think I'd
take the MiG.

Oh, yeah, and the Mystere IVA, which could have been an F-86, if it
exercized and lost some of that weight.

Until 1968 or so, when the first direct U.S supplies showed up,
Israel used whatever they could get their hands on, rather than
whatever was best.

Well, yeah, I agree that the used the BEST they could get their hands on.
At any rate, they won in each case without much US equipment to speak of.
Which probably speaks as much to the low quality of their opposition as
to their own capabilities. At any rate, they didn't have to face US
first line equipment in Arab hands as they must prepare for in the
even of any future major conflict with the Arab states. Israel can't
count on the US intervening to save it once a fight has begun. It takes
the US MONTHS to move an army of 150,000 to say Iraq, for example. Israel's
wars are usually decided in a matter of days or even hours.
Old July 16th 03, 04:15 PM
phil hunt

On 15 Jul 2003 11:12:59 -0700, JGB wrote:
[...]
Gee, it seems you have been parroting exactly the opposite; any
atrocity committed against Palestinians by Israelis is OK, but golly,
heaven forbid the Palestinians do likewise...

Again! Arabs, starting with Muhammad, drew first BLOOD! Capice? THey killed
Jews first! Unless you can prove to me from ANY source that JEws killed
an Arab first! Even from Islamic literature! He who kills first should not
complain when he gets his desserts last.

Just out of interest, JGB, have you ever read Orwell's _Notes On
Nationalism_?

--
Phil
"If only sarcasm could overturn bureaucracies"