757 flaps miss-aligned in cruise

Old February 16th 04, 05:23 PM
AnyBody43

Default 757 flaps miss-aligned in cruise

Hi,

I recently flew on a TCX... flight on what I suspect was a Boeing
757-200. The registration number was G-Fxxx.

I noticed that the trailing-edge inner and outer flaps were not aligned
with each other in the cruise. The flaps appeared to be fully retracted.
I estimate that the Outer Flap trailing edge was about 1/10th
of the visible chord of the flaps above the Inner Flap. This might have
been one or two inches. Once on the ground and parked the flaps seemed
to be aligned withing a millimeter or so.

I could see 3 large fairings (housing some part of the flap mechanism)
that extend behind the wings. I suppose that the were both of
the mountings for the outer flap and one of the inner flap mountings.

The one inner flap mounting that I could see and the outboard outer
flap mounting each had the flap adjacent to or touching the top
of the fairing. The inboard mounting for the outboard flap in contrast
had a significant gap between it and the flap. Perhaps enough to get
a fingertip into.

Finally the upper wing surface speed brakes seemed to bulge up
just forward of the visible inner edge of the outer flap.

I could clearly see the internal structure of the outer flap inner-end
rib.

This all struck me as somewhat odd.

It was as if the front end of the outer flap's inboard mount was not
secure.

From my vantage point the Outer flap's inner edge top surface appeared
to be exactly parallel to the inner flap's outer edge top surface with
the outer flap being above the inner flap.

I got a quick look at the other side and it seemed to be similar but
with about half of the deflection I thought.

I will communicate exact flight times and flight numbers by e-mail
to anyone who posts an official looking (anti-spammed or not) e-mail
address to this thread. I will try to check the anybody account
but it is not normally viewed.

Can anybody shed any light on these observations?
Old April 2nd 04, 01:01 AM
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC

AnyBody43 wrote:

[...]

From my vantage point the Outer flap's inner edge top surface appeared
to be exactly parallel to the inner flap's outer edge top surface with
the outer flap being above the inner flap.

I got a quick look at the other side and it seemed to be similar but
with about half of the deflection I thought.

I will communicate exact flight times and flight numbers by e-mail
to anyone who posts an official looking (anti-spammed or not) e-mail
address to this thread. I will try to check the anybody account
but it is not normally viewed.

Can anybody shed any light on these observations?

What exactly do you want to know? Yes, the leading edge of the inboard flaps
are parallel to the trailing edge of the main wing body and there is a gap to
allow for smoother airflow at slower speeds. When the spoilers, both ground and
inflight(those used for turning at high speeds) extend, you can see the flap
tracks, screwjack and backside of the wing.

The inboard flap sections angle toward each other to close a gap between them.
The 'canoes' below the wing trailing edge house the screwjacks that the flaps
ride back on.

It's not unusual for flaps sections not to fully retract tight against the wing
body. It's not unusual for spoilers not to be completely flush with the top of
the wing. If too much(or not enough) rudder trim is dialed in to make the plane
track straight, a wing can drop low enough for the opposite spoiler to rise(or
trail) slightly trying to raise the other wing. You'd see that when the
autopilot is on.

Not anything to worry about tho...

TJ
B757/767 IP
PHX, AZ
Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
as if any other time isn't worth noting....
Michael Rarfit

Propellor Primer Ebby Home Built 3 November 19th 04 10:36 AM
f-84G Flaps question Frederico Afonso Military Aviation 0 September 8th 04 05:58 PM
Australia's aquisition of cruise missiles zalzon Military Aviation 21 August 31st 04 09:26 PM
Cruise clearance Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 26 May 22nd 04 04:08 AM
Slats and Fowler Flaps On Light Plane Brock Home Built 28 July 31st 03 10:12 PM