Gel coat inspection

Old October 24th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Keast[_2_]

Default Gel coat inspection

Does anyone know of someone in North Carolina or the
surrounding states that could do a professional gel
coat inspection? Preferably someone who has experience
with glider refinishing and old gel coats. I've been
unable to find any sailplane repair (refinishing) facilities
in the above area.

Matt

Old October 24th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul Gaines in GA knows a "few" things about gel coat .

Old October 24th 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

On Oct 24, 1:42 pm, Matt Keast
wrote:
Does anyone know of someone in North Carolina or the
surrounding states that could do a professional gel
coat inspection? Preferably someone who has experience
with glider refinishing and old gel coats. I've been
unable to find any sailplane repair (refinishing) facilities
in the above area.

Matt

Matt,

Where are you in NC? I'm in NC. I'm no expert, but I can tell you
what needs to be stripped down and refinished. I tell myself that
every time I open my trailer and look at my glider...

And yes, Paul Gaines knows a thing or two about gel coat. He's
probably the closest professional aircraft gel coat man around this
area.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
(that's on the "left" side of Chapel Hole...)

Old October 25th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And yes, Paul Gaines knows a thing or two about gel coat. He's
probably the closest professional aircraft gel coat man around this
area.

FYI,
Do not wait too long if you want to contact Paul Gaines. He is about
to move his business to AZ.
Regards,
Chuck

Old October 25th 07, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 24, 1:42 pm, Matt Keast
wrote:
Does anyone know of someone in North Carolina or the
surrounding states that could do a professional gel
coat inspection? Preferably someone who has experience
with glider refinishing and old gel coats. I've been
unable to find any sailplane repair (refinishing) facilities
in the above area.

Hi Matt,

Not directly answering your question, but...

There are usually at least a few people in every club who are
competent to assess the state of gelcoat. I'll use myself as an
example. Though I'm not a "professional", I've done several sanding
and minor refinish jobs over the last 20 years. Having done that, I'm
certainly able to look at a wing and tell you whether:

- The crazing you see is "significant"
- Whether a light finish sanding would buy you some time
- If there was a refinish job, whether it was done well

It's really not rocket science. The tools of the trade a

- Your eyes
- A 4x or 6x loop magnifier
- Your fingertips

Just a quick and incomplete primer but:

- Start with the wings
- Examine for any obvious crazing with the naked eye. If you can see
this, it's really only a matter of time before a refinish will be
required. How long? If you can feel cupping (ie. the edges of the
cracks are lifting) or the crazing is in a checkerboard pattern (think
dried up lake bed), then a refinish is iminent. You might get away
with a full finish sanding to buy yourself a couple of years, as long
as you keep the ship well waxed and out of the wet. But, get the
checkbook ready.
- Next, take the loop magnifier and check a little closer. Can you
see fine cracks developing? If so, you have the onset of crazing.
If you do a finish sand and comprehensive wax job, you might have 5
years or more left. The trick is to again be sure to keep the wings
coated and dry. There are no guarantees, as I've seen some crazing
stay stable for 10 years and others progress very rapidly. Storing
the ship in a ventilated trailer in a hangar would be a good bet at
this stage.
- If the ship was refinished, the first thing is to find out who did
it. There are shops with a very good reputation (e.g. Gherleins in
PA) and others with a so-so or poor reputation (won't mention names
here).
- Take out the loop and look at the scratch patterns on the new
gelcoat. All sanding leaves scratches; the trick is for each pass to
totally eliminate the scratches from the prior grade. On the wings,
you should be able to see only very fine surface scratches with the
loop magnifier, and they should all be in one direction. Typically,
they will be on the diagonal to the chord line. If you see cross-
hatching or a checkerboard, it usually means that the sanding passes
weren't thorough. Also, the surface may look "milky" instead of
"glossy", even after spot-buffing. That would worry me.

Anyway, that's a quick overview. As I said, anyone who is serious
about maintaining their own glass ship would know this stuff. Hope
this helps.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old October 25th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pat Russell

- A 4x or 6x loop magnifier

Your advice is excellent; your spelling is loosy.
Old October 25th 07, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 25, 10:06 am, Pat Russell wrote:
- A 4x or 6x loop magnifier

Your advice is excellent; your spelling is loosy.

Uhhh... huh?

Old October 25th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 25, 11:40 am, Papa3 wrote:
On Oct 25, 10:06 am, Pat Russell wrote:

- A 4x or 6x loop magnifier

Your advice is excellent; your spelling is loosy.

Uhhh... huh?

Never mind. Subtle, very subtle :-)

I sometimes get loopy when writing about loupes.

I sit corrected.

Old October 25th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

Matt Keast wrote:
Does anyone know of someone in North Carolina or the
surrounding states that could do a professional gel
coat inspection? Preferably someone who has experience
with glider refinishing and old gel coats. I've been
unable to find any sailplane repair (refinishing) facilities
in the above area.

Matt

What primarily causes this gell coat crazing? Is is ultraviolet light,
moisture, aging of the material chemically in some way? or what?

Old October 25th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Keast[_2_]

At 22:54 24 October 2007, Rlovinggood wrote:
On Oct 24, 1:42 pm, Matt Keast
wrote:

Matt,

Where are you in NC? I'm in NC. I'm no expert, but
I can tell you
what needs to be stripped down and refinished. I tell
myself that
every time I open my trailer and look at my glider...

And yes, Paul Gaines knows a thing or two about gel
coat. He's
probably the closest professional aircraft gel coat
man around this
area.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
(that's on the 'left' side of Chapel Hole...)

I'm looking at purchasing a glider in NC but I'm concerned
about the gel coat and wanted to have someone with
experience do an inspection (I don't trust myself to
make the call).

Matt

Gel Coat Question Gary Emerson Soaring 2 September 12th 07 11:56 AM
Lacquer thinner on gel coat Steve Freeman Soaring 8 July 3rd 07 05:34 PM
Gel Coat for Dummies Ray Lovinggood Soaring 12 December 24th 04 02:12 AM
Gel Coat for Dummies Ray Lovinggood Soaring 2 December 12th 04 09:15 PM
One coat paint for aluminum? [email protected] Home Built 10 September 17th 04 07:01 AM