which headset??? david clark.......

Old September 13th 05, 01:10 AM
Mike W.

H10-60 comes with a cord that can be changed: straight or coiled for fixed
wing, or coiled helo cord. H10-66 is the dual-impedance model.
I have a H10-60, the only thing I don't like about it is the plug on the
detachable cord is long enough (strain relief) that it sometimes catches on
your jacket collar or shoulder belt when you try to look left. I have gotten
used to it, but it can be really distracting at first.
"john smith" wrote in message
I believe the h10-60 are for Helos only. Are your flying rotary wing or
fixed wing?
Michelle

I thought that, too, when I first saw the posting.
I went to the DC homepage to check.
10-60's come in three flavors now. Fixed, coiled cord helo, and dual
impedence.

Old September 13th 05, 08:27 AM
Thomas Borchert

Michelle,

Dc's are pricey but they have the best service in the business in my
opinion.
Michelle (owner of five DC headsets)

Well, that might make you kind of biased ;-) I am, too, I have a
Lightspeed. And, also from what I read here, I can't really see where
their service is less than DC's. I truly think the DCs are way
overpriced - you pay for the name. I know they will probably hold up
better to abuse for those of us who think they should treat a
500-$-plus investment like sh*t, but heck, you can buy a headset and
another replacement headset from most manufacturers for what you pay
for a single DC.

DC's ANR is clearly inferior to most "new-generation" (NG) headsets.
Most heads (mine, for sure) consider DCs less comfortable than NG
headsets - they aren't called David Clamps for nothing. Their feature
set is lacking, too (think music and cell phone inputs). For all that,
you pay a price way above most comparable headsets from other brands -
and you get a service that every NG headset manufacturer has to and
does match, if he wants to stay in business, since it is the gold
standard of the industry. So, in all, I just can't see the value
proposition.

Also, I wouldn't want to be seen dead wearing that puke green. But
that's a matter of taste ;-)

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 13th 05, 10:55 AM
Michelle P

THomas,
Have you tried the 20- series. They are not clamps. the 10- series was.
David clark focuses on making the best headset they can. Not ones with
cute features.
Pure, basic, simple, bullet proof headsets.
How is DC's latest ENR headset inferior to say Lightspeed current offerings?
Michelle

Old September 13th 05, 12:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Michelle,

Have you tried the 20- series.

Yes. But head shapes vary, it's an individual thing.

How is DC's latest ENR headset inferior to say Lightspeed current offerings?

Have you compared both in an airplane environment? I have. Other reviewers
have, too.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 13th 05, 01:07 PM
john smith

Thomas, I find it interesting that you do not consider Lightspeeds
overpriced, given their inferior construction and high "fall-apart" rate.
Many pilots I know who own Lightspeeds have not abused them, the units
just break apart from average, light useage.
In 25 years, my DC's have never come loose, let alone fall apart or have
parts break.
Old September 13th 05, 05:02 PM
Thomas Borchert

John,

Thomas, I find it interesting that you do not consider Lightspeeds
overpriced, given their inferior construction and high "fall-apart" rate.

Well, do you actually KNOW that rate? Do you know their sales volume
compared to complaints you read here? Do you think they, having been an
upstart in this business only 8 years ago, would still be around, let alone
have become as big as they have, if they didn't make money in spite of
having a very generous repair and return policy?

That said, construction has improved over time - ask Jay. THAT said, I
still own and use my first-gen 20K, which needed new plugs once - that's
it. I bought it in 1997 for something like 450 $, IIRC. Yes, I DO think
that's an excellent value.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old September 14th 05, 02:45 AM
Michelle P

Thomas,
I can tell you my 20-10XL's are "Professional Grade". I use mine 5-7
hours a day 5 days a week. I have over 600 hours on them in the last six
months. All I do is swap my rechargeable battery pack about every 10 days.

Michelle

John,

Old September 19th 05, 04:31 PM
Hercul