JetBlue and DIRECTV

Old September 22nd 05, 02:14 AM
Bucky

Default JetBlue and DIRECTV

Do you think they have DIRECTV on flight 292? It was pretty ironic to
be watching your own plane on CNN.

Old September 22nd 05, 02:42 AM

My assumption was just confirmed by MSNBC, the crew turned it off.

Old September 22nd 05, 02:44 AM
Peter R.

Bucky wrote:

Do you think they have DIRECTV on flight 292? It was pretty ironic to
be watching your own plane on CNN.

Yep, the large satellite dome antenna could be seen on top of the aircraft,
about 2/3's of the way down the fuselage, during the news coverage.

--
Peter

Old September 22nd 05, 04:27 AM
Quiet Desperation

In article .com,
Bucky wrote:

That's probably the best thing. Although I think if I were on that
plane, I would want ESPN or some other channels to watch to take my
mind off things.

I fly JetBlue a lot (and still will). The DirecTV dish can only track
at a certain rate, and will drop out on a large turns. Since this
flight was looping for hours...
Old September 22nd 05, 07:09 PM
Robert M. Gary

The pax said it was on. It always turns off in the last couple minutes
of flight. It displays something like "Sat lost" or something. I think
its harder to keep the sat aligned once you start turning for landing.

-Robert

Old September 22nd 05, 08:01 PM
Robert M. Gary

TV news is full of crap. They went on and on about dumping fuel
(something the A320 can't do) and airline pilots being trained landing
with one or more gear missing over and over again (something denied by
a Jetblue pilot who called in).

-Robert

Old September 22nd 05, 10:18 PM
Jackal24

"Bucky" wrote in news:1127411165.534306.220620
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

wrote:
My assumption was just confirmed by MSNBC, the crew turned it off.

Actually, they've corrected the initial reports. They did have the
DIRECTV turned on during the situation. They only turned it off when
they started to land. Some passengers described it as surreal, and
another thought he was in a dream.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/22/airliner.emergency.ap/

Whether or not to turn off the directv was probably a difficult choice by
the crew. I'm assuming that it is an all or nothing deal (i.e. you can't
just block certain channels). On the one hand, if you leave it on, you get
everyone watching the scene unfold, possibly creating a panic. On the other
hand, you have to circle around for a couple of hours and turning it off
may create more of a panic as people know have nothing to do except think
about what is happening.
Old September 22nd 05, 11:02 PM
John Huthmaker

Well I had a front row seat to this. I had just put my piper on the ground
at Long Beach airport when this guy called tower and asked for an emergency
approach. After that he asked the tower if he could make a special request.
They granted him the request and allowed him to make a low approach so they
could inspect the gear from the tower. Ill tell ya, that was an odd sight.
I have seen tons of small aircrafts do low approaches, but I haven't ever
seen an airliner do one. Long story short, the tower told all of the
helicopters to "Go Away" as he was diverting the pilot to LAX.

--
John Huthmaker

ups.com...