Private Pilot's License

Old September 22nd 05, 06:02 PM
Gary

Vern didn't actually say that he can only fly ONCE every two weeks.

If that is the case, it will indeed be a challenge to complete the
license in a reasonable amount of time.

If he can get in a few flights during a flying week, then he has to
skip a week due to travel or work schedules, it won't be quite as bad.

Something I've found useful as a low-hours student pilot who gets to
fly about once a week (weather limitations, mostly) is to write down
detailed notes about the intangible stuff I learn on each flight. Not
just facts learned, not just things related to ground school or the
upcoming knowledge test, but my perceptions and recollections of the
flight. What does the sight picture over the nose look like during a
proper climb-out? Where was the seat adjusted, since this affects the
sight picture? How was the sensation felt in an uncoordinated turn
different than what I felt in a coordinated turn? How much control
input did I feel I was using for a give maneuver? What feedback was I
getting from the instructor at various points in the flight? It all
gets written down, and I review it before the next flight. I find it
makes the preceeding flight(s) fresher in my mind, and it helps
minimize the effects of going a week or so without flight time.

Old September 22nd 05, 06:04 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Kevin Kubiak wrote:
I agree 100% with Jay. Having recently (June) passed my checkride,
I can tell you first hand what Jay is saying.

I started out taking lessons in winter 2004 (mistake #1, since I live in the

63 hours to solo? How long did it take you to get your license? (BTW,
congrats)

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 22nd 05, 06:25 PM
Kevin Kubiak

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Kevin Kubiak wrote:

I agree 100% with Jay. Having recently (June) passed my checkride,
I can tell you first hand what Jay is saying.

I started out taking lessons in winter 2004 (mistake #1, since I live in the

63 hours to solo? How long did it take you to get your license? (BTW,
congrats)

Grand total: 105 hrs. That includes scheduling 6 different times
for checkride over a 7 week interval. Fired first DE, after being blown off
because she just got back from vacation previous day and wanted to take a break,
then could not reschedule cause she was going out of town again. So we went
with a different DE. Also includes, off 10 days for planned vacation trip with
wife prior to sign-off for checkride, plus CFI
wanting to fly with me 1 time per week during the 7 week interval.

Old September 22nd 05, 10:56 PM
John Huthmaker

Although I am in agreement with some of this, I am doing most of my training
at every other week intervals. I have only accumulated 36 hours, and I am
right around the corner from my checkride. It really depends on the pilot.
If you pick it up quickly, and retain it well, every other week is fine. If
not, then Peter is absolutely correct.

--
John Huthmaker

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Vern Torino" wrote in message
Haven't begun any training yet. Still considering time and cost factors.
One problem is my job will only avail me to fly every other week, so I
figure it'll take me at least the better part of a year to get licensed.
My question is, after licensing what would be a likely minimum flight
time and frequency to maintain proficiency?

You didn't ask, but frankly, if you're only flying every other week, "the
better part of a year" is overly optimistic. You'll spend enormous
amounts of time reminding yourself what you did last lesson, rather than
making forward progress on your learning.

That's ignoring the fact that flying every other week only gets you about
25-30 hours of training in, for a certificate that has a *minimum* of 40
hours, and the only people who do it at or near the minimum hours are
people who pick up flying naturally, AND who are having their lessons
regularly (a couple of times a week, at least).

I'd guess a person flying every other week could wind up with at least 80
hours before they are good enough to pass the checkride, which is more
like three years at that rate.

As far as your actual question goes: it depends a lot on the pilot, but
generally speaking, flying at least one hour once or twice a month is
probably enough to stay reasonably proficient. For some pilots, once a
week is the absolute minimum, and for others they can pick it up again
after a couple of months. But both of those possibilities are unusual,
IMHO. Of course, it also depends on your definition of "proficient".
And more seriously, it also depends on what you do with those flights.
One takeoff and one landing aren't going to help that much if you only do
that once a month.

Pete

Old September 23rd 05, 01:52 AM
Jay Honeck

63 hours to solo? How long did it take you to get your license? (BTW,
congrats)

Grand total: 105 hrs.

Congratulations, Kevin. You truly deserve the Persistence Award, as most
mere mortals would have probably quit in frustration.

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 23rd 05, 02:53 AM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jay Honeck wrote:
63 hours to solo? How long did it take you to get your license? (BTW,
congrats)

Grand total: 105 hrs.

Congratulations, Kevin. You truly deserve the Persistence Award, as most
mere mortals would have probably quit in frustration.

Or in poverty. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old September 23rd 05, 04:05 AM
Jay Honeck

Congratulations, Kevin. You truly deserve the Persistence Award, as most
mere mortals would have probably quit in frustration.

Or in poverty. G

Good point. I ran out of money almost precisely after taking my check-ride.
It was a very close thing, indeed.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 23rd 05, 05:50 AM
Vern Torino

Yes Gary, I was vague about my fly-week. During that week there's some
chance I might be able to get in two one-hour week day flights (depending
on weather, day light, and the remote possible chance of getting off from
work a little early by starting work early or skipping lunch), and one
two-hour weekend flight. That would give me about eight flight hours per
month. If I can't get off from work early, then I might have to jump
through more hoops by flying early in the morning before work, i.e. 6-7a.m.
With a couple of staggered weeks of vacation, I could get in three two-hour
flights each week (or go broke, which I think would come first). Except for
the vacation days, I would still have basically eight hours of flight per
month. Far from best, much better than once per week (I hope), but maybe
still not good enough.
All of you have given very noteworthy and insightful help. I welcome any and
all. Thanks.

oups.com...

Old September 23rd 05, 01:40 PM
Kevin Kubiak

Thanks Jay! I hope to make it up your way some day.

I budgeted for about 60 hrs, I was fortunate enough to
have received a very good unexpected bonus from work that year, so
I used a lot more of it that I planned to. I am also very fortunate
to have a very understanding spouse, who said, you can't quit now.
Her support helped me get through it. The funny thing is she, doesn't
fly very well as a passenger. Even on the "big iron" she has problems.

I did take her up a few weeks ago, and she did better than she thought, but
she still had some problems. But that is another story.

Thanks again!

Kevin Kubiak -PP-ASEL

Old September 23rd 05, 03:02 PM
Allen

"John Huthmaker" wrote in message
ink.net...
Although I am in agreement with some of this, I am doing most of my
training at every other week intervals. I have only accumulated 36 hours,
and I am right around the corner from my checkride. It really depends on
the pilot. If you pick it up quickly, and retain it well, every other week
is fine. If not, then Peter is absolutely correct.

I agree with John. It took me more than two years to get my private. I had
to get another flight physical it took so long. Passed my checkride at 44
hours with an FAA examiner. Everybody learns and retains information at
different rates.

Start training and keep your nose in the books as much as you can. Flying
is 90% mental and 10% physical. You will get there!

Allen