Off topic question - Are you receiving viruses?

Old September 24th 03, 10:23 PM
Mike Williams

Default Off topic question - Are you receiving viruses?

I am presently being bombed by viruses that are under the guise of a
Microsoft upgrade.
There's a discussion on alt.comp.viruses, they have a theory that it seems
to be targeting people that post on newsgroups. The reason I ask this
question on rec.aviation.rotorcraft is this is the only place I've posted in
several months.

Mike Williams

Old September 25th 03, 02:29 AM
Micbloo

I am presently being bombed by viruses that are under the guise of a
Microsoft upgrade.
There's a discussion on

I'm getting TONs of e-mail about undeliverable messages, critical patches,
failure to deliver mail, etc. I dont even bother to open it, just delete it.
My computer has been working fine with no trace of viruses(so far). I have a
virus scan and I believe AOL scans e-mails to detect incoming viruses also
(like I really know but someone told me that once).
If I dont recognize an address on the e-mail or the subject is fishy....bam,
DELETED!!
Seems like there is always some asshole out there who enjoys ruining peoples
computers for whatever selfish or stupid reason.
It sucks but it's part of Internet life.

Gerard
Old September 25th 03, 02:33 AM
Dann

I, too, am getting bombed. 10 to 20 emails a day. Fortunately they go
through a spam filter into a bulk mail file. I still have to delete them
and then delete them from my trash. Otherwise they just take up valuable
space...I never have opened them.

Old September 25th 03, 03:20 AM
Rhodesst

Nice to know I'm not alone on this one. I've been receiving a LOT of emails
about undeliverable mailings and so called microsoft upgrades.

One thing I've found common in most of them is that the sending address is
usually gibberish. Something along the lines of ".

Needless to say, the delete key has been working overtime lately.

Fly Safe,
Steve R.
Old September 25th 03, 03:30 AM
toadmonkey

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:23:19 +0000 (UTC), "Mike Williams"
wrote:

I am presently being bombed by viruses that are under the guise of a
Microsoft upgrade.
There's a discussion on alt.comp.viruses, they have a theory that it seems
to be targeting people that post on newsgroups. The reason I ask this
question on rec.aviation.rotorcraft is this is the only place I've posted in
several months.

Mike Williams

I have several e-mail accounts and I get around 15-20 of those viruses per day,
combined total. Just delete them. can't believe that people are THAT bored
with life that they have to send that kind of garbage out. These guys need to
get a life! And the kids that do it need to get their asses beat good!
TM

--
Toadmonkey: "Now now. Brain popping and world crashing may be hazardous to ones perception of reality.
Very dangerous business that can lead to madness or something worse for some, truth."

Remove "3+4" from addy before replying

Old September 25th 03, 09:22 AM
Mike Williams

If you want to know more, go to alt.comp.viruses. They have some clever
people there with some excellent advice.

Mike Williams.

Old September 25th 03, 10:25 AM
ops

Mike Williams wrote:
I am presently being bombed by viruses that are under the guise of a
Microsoft upgrade.
There's a discussion on alt.comp.viruses, they have a theory that it seems
to be targeting people that post on newsgroups. The reason I ask this
question on rec.aviation.rotorcraft is this is the only place I've posted in
several months.

Mike Williams

The email addresses go back quite a way - and some of that spam are from
lists that I no longer subscribe - over at least three years now.

They are coming from peoples address books even.

I have been deleting them off the server with Mailwasher
www.firetrust.com free download. Or you may want to change from your
MSOutlook mail program to Pegasus Mail also free.

Old September 26th 03, 09:54 PM
Dave S

Im getting hundreds... a day.. filling my mailbox up. but only on
earthlink. Work and school seem to be filtering them out at the server
level..

Earthlink seems pretty impotent to stop it.

My major problem is.. I use netscrape communicator to do my mail
(usually) but if it pulls mail from the server, McAfee's virus software
deletes it in the middle of netscrape trying to filter it.. or
something.. locks everything up... but my machine doesnt get infected.

So.. im relegated to webmail while the onslaught continues.. im getting
hit from machines in Oz and Germany.. sigh

Dave

Old September 27th 03, 04:14 AM
ops

Download mailwasher from www.firetrust.com and you will be able to
delete off the server and not have to download all the stuff.