Looking For VP-2 Plans

Old December 11th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Looking For VP-2 Plans

Greetings-

I'm looking for a set of VP-2 plans. Anyone have a pristine set
they're willing to part with for a reasonable price?

-David

Old December 11th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley

I just acquired a pristine set for $10 (the cost of shipping from Canada to
Massacusetts).

You can have them for $10 Plus the cost of shipping from Massachusetts to
you.

steve dot foley at att dot net

ps.com...

Old December 11th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mike Gaskins

IIRC, the designer of the VP-2 had some safety concerns with the plane
(namely it makes a marginal 2-seater, though as a single seat plane the
design is sound as I recall), and so he put the plans into the public
domain. Given that they are no longer copyrighted, and the designer
wants no part of them, if you can find a person with a set willing to
just make you a copy then that should be perfectly fine.

Note that this applies ONLY to cases like the VP-2 where the plans are
in public domain. You can't grab copies of plans for other copyrighted
sets.

Mike Gaskins

Old December 11th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Steve Foley

"Mike Gaskins" wrote in message
ups.com...
IIRC, the designer of the VP-2 had some safety concerns with the plane
(namely it makes a marginal 2-seater, though as a single seat plane the
design is sound as I recall), and so he put the plans into the public
domain. Given that they are no longer copyrighted, and the designer
wants no part of them, if you can find a person with a set willing to
just make you a copy then that should be perfectly fine.

I can't find anything to support this. In fact, the Evans aircraft website
claims copyright on all VP-1 and VP-2 plans.

Old December 11th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"Mike Gaskins" wrote in message
ups.com...
IIRC, the designer of the VP-2 had some safety concerns with the plane
(namely it makes a marginal 2-seater, though as a single seat plane the
design is sound as I recall), and so he put the plans into the public
domain. Given that they are no longer copyrighted, and the designer
wants no part of them, if you can find a person with a set willing to
just make you a copy then that should be perfectly fine.

I can't find anything to support this. In fact, the Evans aircraft website
claims copyright on all VP-1 and VP-2 plans.

Yep, from the website.

N O T I C E
All Volksplane Designs are protected under international copyright law.
No part of VP-1 of VP-2 plans may be reproduced or distributed in any form
or process without
written permission of the designer. Authorized dealers are EAA, PFA, and
Aircraft Spruce & Specialty.

Old December 11th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

At one time, he had them on his website for a free download. At that
time I downloaded the plans
and about 6 months later my computer caught a bug and I lost them. When
I went back to download
again he had taken them off the site because he was afraid of
liability.
Lou

Old December 12th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Lou wrote:
At one time, he had them on his website for a free download. At that
time I downloaded the plans
and about 6 months later my computer caught a bug and I lost them. When
I went back to download
again he had taken them off the site because he was afraid of
liability.
Lou

I just checked and all my links in my Volksplane bookmarks are down. It
seems that the free download of plans has been stopped.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't pretend to be fully up on the law but I
know that copyrights can expire but don't know all the details. If
Evans makes no effort to protect his interest in the VP2, the plans will
eventually end up in public domain.

Tony
Old December 12th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Anthony W wrote:
Lou wrote:
At one time, he had them on his website for a free download. At that
time I downloaded the plans
and about 6 months later my computer caught a bug and I lost them. When
I went back to download
again he had taken them off the site because he was afraid of
liability.
Lou

I just checked and all my links in my Volksplane bookmarks are down. It
seems that the free download of plans has been stopped.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't pretend to be fully up on the law but I
know that copyrights can expire but don't know all the details. If
Evans makes no effort to protect his interest in the VP2, the plans will
eventually end up in public domain.

I think you are confusing copyright with trademark. Copyrights
established after sometime in the 1970s when the new statutes
came into effect expire after 70 years or the death of the author,
whichever is longer. Unlike trademark, defense is not required
to preserve one's copyrights.

--

FF

Old January 8th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
Greetings-

I'm looking for a set of VP-2 plans. Anyone have a pristine set
they're willing to part with for a reasonable price?

-David

Hello,

If you're thinking of building a VP-2, you may benefit from my limited
experience with this airplane. Perhaps, with the advent of newer, more
powerful engines (Rotax 912, etc.), the VP-2 may be capable of safely
carrying two people, but on the other hand, I'm not an aeronautical
engineer, and maybe horsepower was never the issue.

Thirty years ago, when I was building a VP-2, no one actually flew them
two-place. They were considered, I found out to my chagrin, to be
"roomy" single-place airplanes.

I ordered the plans from Evans and got 600 hours into building (about a
third of the way, in other words) before actually getting a ride in
one. I badgered a VP-2 owner at the Oshkosh airshow into giving me a
ride. He was very reluctant (which should have been a clue), but he
relented. At the time, I was only a student pilot, and probably didn't
ask too many questions about safety.

Anyway, we white-knuckled it around the pattern, barely above stall
speed, and barely above the treetops the whole time, using mostly
rudder and almost no ailerons to make the shallow turns, because, I
figured out later, the builder/owner/pilot was fearful of stalling the
inside wing in the turns. We got off the runway in a reasonable
distance, as I recall, but had to fly several thousand feet in ground
effect before we had enough airspeed to risk pulling up to clear the
trees at the end of the runway. The plan had been to remain in the
pattern, flying several laps with all the other homebuilts, but after
clearing the trees, it was obvious that we needed more altitude before
attempting any turns, so we had to fly straight out for quite a number
of miles, something like 6 or 8, as I recall, before we had enough
altitude, only a few hundred feet, to attempt a turn back to the
airport.

After landing, the fellow admitted that he had never taken anyone up
before. I was the first, in something like 200 hours of flying his
VP-2. He apologized to me, and vowed to never fly it two-place again.
I did a little belated research, and discovered he wasn't the only one.
I realized that I had chosen the wrong design, because I expected to
have a safe two-place airplane. I never completed my VP-2 project.

Regards,
Bill