B-17 in Brantford, Ontario

Old November 2nd 03, 07:29 AM
Steve

Default B-17 in Brantford, Ontario

Anyone know of the progress of the B-17 being restored in Brantford,
Ontario? I've heard that that specific aircraft was used in making the
movie Memphis Belle....is this true?

Old November 2nd 03, 04:18 PM
PT Ball

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Anyone know of the progress of the B-17 being restored in Brantford,
Ontario? I've heard that that specific aircraft was used in making the
movie Memphis Belle....is this true?

Check out the following link:
http://www.goderichaircraft.com/newspage.php?xcode=18

It was David Talichet's machine "Memphis Belle". Looks like it was in
for the AD on the spar replacement. I saw it at the NY Airshow at
Calverton on 9/20. It also flew in the show.
HTH

PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
is it forever entombed in the museum?
Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
Peter B.
Old November 2nd 03, 11:38 PM
B17 GUY

I believe this is Dave Tallichet's B-17. It was having wing spar work done in
compliance with a directive showing corrosion and weakening of some spars.

Several Forts are down for this modification. Texas Raiders is off the circuit
for a while due to this issue.
Old November 3rd 03, 10:01 PM
Jay Beckman

"PT Ball" wrote in message
m...
"Steve" wrote in message

Anyone know of the progress of the B-17 being restored in Brantford,
Ontario? I've heard that that specific aircraft was used in making the
movie Memphis Belle....is this true?

Check out the following link:
http://www.goderichaircraft.com/newspage.php?xcode=18

It was David Talichet's machine "Memphis Belle". Looks like it was in
for the AD on the spar replacement. I saw it at the NY Airshow at
Calverton on 9/20. It also flew in the show.
HTH

PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
is it forever entombed in the museum?
Also haven't seen much of "Chuckie" in recent years?
Peter B.

That particular B17 is currently at their restoration facility at Everett.

Dunno if it flew up there or if was trucked up there.

Old November 7th 03, 04:51 PM
Gene

PT Ball wrote:
PS: Does any one know if the only F model N17W that went to the
Seattle MOF will ever fly or has flown again? There was some talk. Or
is it forever entombed in the museum?

The only time I've ever heard of it flying is the ferry flight from
Renton to the MOF at Boeing Field. It was a hell of a sight to see.
I don't know if it will ever be flown again.

g.

Old November 11th 03, 04:28 PM
Wright1902Glider

Just got back from Stuart, FL show. The ship in question was on static display
flanking the Legends of Aviation tent along with a T-6, a B-25 (Killer B), and
my Wright Brothers machines.

Heard from the CAF guys while in Houston last month that Texas Raiders was in
for its spar AD. Thunderbird did fly in that show however.

Harry
Wright Brothers Enterprises
Old December 13th 03, 05:52 AM

Son of a bitch! Was I ever wrong... Dammit...

-j-

-----------------------

Vintage B-17 bomber makes final flight
05:20 PM PST on Friday, December 12, 2003

By GLENN FARLEY / KING 5 News

A vintage World War II plane made its final flight Friday across
Western Washington Friday before settling at Seattle's Museum of
Flight.

The last B-17 F model bomber, also known as the "Flying Fortress" has
been in storage at Boeing in Renton, Wash. for years. It was one of
only a handful of WWII aircraft still able to fly.

During World War II, factories along Boeing Field in Seattle churned
out 16 B-17s every day.
After starring in four movies, including Memphis Belle, the plane
returned to Seattle in 1990.

By the mid-90s, volunteers were spending hundreds of hours restoring
the plane, complete with parts found all over the country, including
some pulled out of basements and barns.

But without an inside place to store it, the plane went back to
Renton. On Friday, however, it took its final flight back to Boeing
field and the Museum of Flight.

Capt. Buzz Nelson was at the controls for the 10-minute flight.

"It's wonderful, to hear those 18-20s out there roaring. It's good.
It's a little more complicated flying these airplanes than it is the
modern jets. This is a challenge," Nelson said.

A spokeswoman for the Museum of Flight says it is likely to be several
more years before the plane will be put on public display. The museum
needs more indoor space to protect it and other large planes in its
collection from the elements.

A Boeing B-17 F taxis after it's final landing at Boeing Field before
arriving at the Museum of Flight.
"It's just a blast. Its noise and vibration. Its power. It's just an
amazing sensation. Compared to the absolute smoothness of the modern
jet aircraft, the comfort in the passenger cabin, this is just all
business. It was built to do a job," says flight engineer Alan Peover.

Some 12,000 B-17s were built during the war, so many Boeing couldn't
even build them all. Factories along Boeing field cranked out 16 a
day.

Now, almost 60 years later. One is now home to stay.

Old December 14th 03, 04:19 PM
PT Ball

It would have been nice if they at least kept it airworthy and flew it
to airshows until the display space was ready. I remember seeing it
at Geneseo, NY in 1988, still in its fire bomber paint scheme. A year
later it was in its 'Memphis Belle' movie paint, ditto for 1990
season. When Bob Richardson passed it was flown to Seattle for good.
At least I can always see it in the air when I watch the movie.

Peter B