Marfa Soaring Report Saturday 20 March

Old March 22nd 04, 02:58 AM
Snead1

Default Marfa Soaring Report Saturday 20 March

When Kent and I arrived in Marfa Saturday, we were greeted with a blazing sun,
higher than usual humidity, and NO wind. At 11:30 AM cu's were already forming
over the mountains.

By 1:00 there were clear signs thar it would probably overdevelop, but there
was a high cloud street leading toward Van Horn. Two thermals, 3.7 knots and
5.9 knots, yeilded 13,381 feet and the cloud street to the west beckoned. The
cloud street lead west of Marfa about 45 miles and then were were no more
clouds into Van Horn. Worrying that the over development might close out
Marfa, I turned back after getting out 50 miles.

Beautiful day with great visibilty, lots of pretty cu's, and a few massive slow
moving thunder storms.

The logger showed over five minutes climbing at over 7 knots.

Bill Snead
6W