Cell phones in the air

Old March 13th 05, 11:54 PM
Go

The people you see erratically on the road talking on cell-phones
aren't the only people on the road talking. Think about it a bit.
You/we only notice the 'cell-phone drivers' who are incapable of
multi-tasking because ther ARE erratic. Try looking at each driver as

you pass them or are being passed. You will be surprised to find the
majority of cell-phone talker's driving is normal.

"It may be as normal as most (moderatly) drunk driving. You can and
usually
make do make it home even if you are a bit woozy."

I totally disagree with your statement that ANYONE driving while
talking on a cellphone is incapable of driving at a skill level above a
drunk driver. Absurd! You totally missed the point. Why not take a look
yourself when on the autobaun (sp?) rather than depending upon the
sensationalist media and special interest group propaganda. If the
situation there is similar to here you will see many, many drivers
performing capably even while talking on the phone. No, I don't sell
cell phones, but I do use them.

Old March 14th 05, 03:55 AM
Marian Aldenhövel

Hi,

If the situation there is similar to here you will see many, many drivers
performing capably even while talking on the phone.

Unfortunately you cannot see blood alcohol levels, so you cannot build
statistics by simple roadside observation.

Why not take a look yourself

Why not ask around who has made a trip after a few beers and survived.
Still this is no indication of the safety of it.

rather than depending upon the sensationalist media and special interest
group propaganda.

This is not propaganda but sound research. Plus I just cannot think at this
moment what powerful special interest group might want to ban cell phones.

autobaun

Autobahn.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn. +49 228 624013.
http://www.marian-aldenhoevel.de
Old March 30th 05, 05:45 AM

There are three issues with airborne cell phones:
1: interference with multiple cells.
2: interference with avionics
3: interference with (distraction of) the pilot

All are significant. #1 was much more significant with analog phones.
One day in 1995 I was giving a glider ride, had caught a good thermal,
and the analog rang. I answered, talked to the nursing-home nurse for
a bit; the thermal was strong; as I climbed through 4K agl, suddenly
ther was a loud electronic squeal and the conversation ended. More
recently I needed to make an urgent call from an airplane with a
digital phone, and got the same squeal.
#2 is randomly significant. A pilot friend told me last month, "I was
on the ramp ready for departure and placed a call on my cell phone.
When I hit 'send' all the radio displays zero'ed out. That made a
believer out of *me*!"
#3 is self evident and has been mentioned by several posters already.

Old March 30th 05, 04:24 PM
Eric Greenwell

#2 is randomly significant. A pilot friend told me last month, "I was
#3 is self evident and has been mentioned by several posters already.

I don't have an explanation for your squeals and zeros, but it's a rare
report, indeed. In fact, it's the only report of problems I've heard.

Aircraft avionics are well shielded because they have to contend with
plenty of on-board interference. This includes other avionics like
communications radios (5 to 10 watts), transponders (250 watt pulses!),
and, of course, the ignition noise of the engine. So, the paltry .5 watt
or less of the cell phone is unlikely to bother them, and that's what
most pilots experience.

Distraction is always a potential problem for a pilot, so we hope they
manage it better than many of the cell phone wielding drivers I see on
the road!

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

#2 is randomly significant. A pilot friend told me last month, "I was
#3 is self evident and has been mentioned by several posters already.

I don't have an explanation for your squeals and zeros, but it's a rare
report, indeed. In fact, it's the only report of problems I've heard.

FWIW from the uk. #1 is an issue here. I don't know if it is that the
cells prevent multiple connection or the phones don't like it but if you
get more than about 1,500 ft above the general level of the cells then
you cannot/find it very hard to - connect. #2 is also an issue as I can
hear a cell phone saying hi to the cell over the radio, be it a handheld
or a fixed mount, this means that there is enough energy from the phone,
be it through the DC supply or the received RF I haven't the faintest
idea but it happens, especially as the airband radios are AM (makes the
audio very easy to interfere with). If this can happen to the radio
then I am worried about the interference. #3 is a very strong point.

The point that has been made that a live cell phone can be used to find
you if all else fails is a good one, however, having had phones
disintegrate after a car crash I wouldn't rely on it.

Robin
--
Robin Birch