RAF Lyneham expected to close

Old July 4th 03, 12:20 PM
IanDTurner

Default RAF Lyneham expected to close

\Nah - it's 2012 - not Friday
Old July 4th 03, 12:33 PM
Ken Duffey

"Dingo" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/3042522.stm
RAF Lyneham expected to close

"The government is expected to announce the closure of RAF Lyneham in
Wiltshire on Friday."

-=-
John Ding (UK)

It's going to close on Friday ???

No more Hercs over my house then !

Seriously though, its a sad day - especially for all those busineses around
Lyneham who rely on the base.

The local TV talking head said that the base generated 70 million quid per
annum into the local economy.

There are 3 garages, for example, that trade with personnel from the base -
and they interviewed the owner of a kebab shop who felt he would have to
close.

The base personnel will be moved elsewhere - the locals will have to stay
and suffer.

There was talk at one time of making Lyneham London's third airport - the
local TV said it might be used for housing development for Swindon - who
knows?

Ken Duffey

Old July 5th 03, 05:48 PM
EndX

A certain Jerry did scribble:
RAF Lyneham expected to close

"The government is expected to announce the closure of RAF Lyneham in
Wiltshire on Friday."

-=-
John Ding (UK)

Ah the wonders of the Government again, have they heard of dispersal
and eggs in one basket, Brize has only one runway what happens if
that's cratered or there is a crashed aircraft blocking it? I know
the chance of enemy air attack is limited but we have precious few air
defences in this country without presenting an enemy with one target
to take out airlift and A2A refuelling capabilities.

Best regards

Dont worry about the spelling errors, because I don't!

Jerry

No no no, you're assuming the Government is using common sense, foresight
and logic in order to produce a plan (level 4 Effective Intelligence).

It's a crazy idea i agree. But it has just moved Lyneham up my list of
posting choices, get there before it closes...

Wonder how much extra tarmac and infrastructure they're going to have to lay
to house all the A400M, Hercs and C-17s at Brize?

rgds

BMF

--
--------
If Saddam Hussein married Little Miss Muffet,

Old July 9th 03, 04:48 AM
The Enlightenment

"EndX" wrote in message ...
[...]

All the money is going into force projection in the form of two funny
looking carriers (duel conning towers and part built in France).