Soaring poster in movie

Old March 21st 04, 06:33 AM
John H. Campbell

Default Soaring poster in movie

Saw the interesting flick "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' yesterday.
In one scene, I think in the offices of the mind-eraser company Lacuna,
there is a soaring poster in the background. Looked like an overhead shot of
an ASK-21.

Old March 21st 04, 03:34 PM
Shawn Curry

John H. Campbell wrote:

Saw the interesting flick "Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind' yesterday.
In one scene, I think in the offices of the mind-eraser company Lacuna,
there is a soaring poster in the background. Looked like an overhead shot of
an ASK-21.

Good flick John?

Shawn
Old March 22nd 04, 04:31 PM
John Shelton

Very romantic, Shawn.

This is taking the disease of soaring distraction just too far! First, I was
watching Shane and thinking about some great looking clouds that dissipated
60 years ago. Then I was looking at some Medieval religious paintings of
Jesus of Nazareth and was fascinated by the lenticular clouds in the
background. Now we are looking at posters on walls in the background of
movies. All this done while ignoring the subject matter itself.

It's time to go fly.

Old March 23rd 04, 03:19 PM
John H. Campbell

It's time to go fly.

Hey, the same day I saw the movie, I had had a wave flight with a student to
18,000' and a cruise of 40 mi up and down the front range, the next day we
had thermals to 12,000', and the day after, our operation (Mile High
Gliding, CO) did 35 tows with 2 towplanes. We fly all year.

Aren't you curious about whether it was an acident if that image showed up
in the movie, or whether the Director or script writer (Charlie Kaufman) or
some actor (Jim Carey, Tom Wilkinson, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood,...?) might
be a secret soaring pilot?

Old March 24th 04, 09:06 AM
Jack

On 3/23/04 9:19 AM, in article , "John
H. Campbell" wrote:

Aren't you curious about whether it was an acident if that image showed up
in the movie, or whether the Director or script writer (Charlie Kaufman) or
some actor (Jim Carey, Tom Wilkinson, Kirsten Dunst, Elijah Wood,...?) might
be a secret soaring pilot?

I'm even more curious as to why the photo (taken from almost directly above
the glider) was hung so that the glider was pointed at the floor -- probably
not at all indicative of the relative positions of the subject aircraft and
the photo ship when the photo was made.

Because it was exhibited in the "Lacuna" office, I'm assuming either a
psychiatric interpretation that is over my head (!) or somebody on the set
doesn't know much about airplanes. My vote is for the psych message, since
the photo was too prominent in the scene to be accidental.

Jack