Long x-country...

Old October 28th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Long x-country...

Well, as I type this our 17-year-old is on his long cross country
flight, on a picture-perfect Midwestern fall day.

Imagine yourself a teenager again, alone in a clapped out old Cessna
150, high above the harvested cornfields of Iowa, trying to find
Grinnell, Ames and Iowa City without so much as a GPS on board!

Luckily he's inherited Mary's sense of direction, so he stands a good
chance of making it...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 28th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Jay

Be sure and remind him that the fence lines run N-S and E-W in Iowa.
Great help in navigation.

Big John

Old October 28th 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Oct 28, 10:14 am, Big John wrote:
Jay

Be sure and remind him that the fence lines run N-S and E-W in Iowa.
Great help in navigation.

Big John

Don't they run like that everywhere? When I got my training in Ohio, I
was never taught to use the furrow/fence lines in navigation, and I
never even noticed that they could be useful for such. Once I started
instructing in California, I happened to notice they can be really
helpful in navigating, and I now can't imagine trying to navigate
without them.

Old October 28th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"buttman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 28, 10:14 am, Big John wrote:
Jay

Be sure and remind him that the fence lines run N-S and E-W in Iowa.
Great help in navigation.

Big John

Don't they run like that everywhere?

Nope. In hilly terrain, they run any-which-way.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 28th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ManhattanMan

Morgans wrote:
"buttman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 28, 10:14 am, Big John wrote:
Jay

Be sure and remind him that the fence lines run N-S and E-W in Iowa.
Great help in navigation.

Big John

Don't they run like that everywhere?

Nope. In hilly terrain, they run any-which-way.

That rules out 95% of Iowa (and the rest of the plains)...

Old October 28th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"ManhattanMan" wrote in message
Morgans wrote:
"buttman" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 28, 10:14 am, Big John wrote:
Jay

Be sure and remind him that the fence lines run N-S and E-W in Iowa.
Great help in navigation.

Big John

Don't they run like that everywhere?

Nope. In hilly terrain, they run any-which-way.

That rules out 95% of Iowa (and the rest of the plains)...

Fence lines typically run along property lines, and since the overwhelming
majority of property lines are configured N-S and E-W, it only stands to
reason that fence lines would also, regardless of terrain.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC.

Old October 28th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:48:44 -0000, buttman wrote:

Don't they run like that everywhere? When I got my training in Ohio,

Sportys, or a certain university?
Old October 28th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:22:26 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

Nope. In hilly terrain, they run any-which-way.

This is true in New England.
Old October 28th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

Jay,

Be sure to post a note on how it went.

Old October 28th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

buttman wrote:
On Oct 28, 10:14 am, Big John wrote:
Jay

Be sure and remind him that the fence lines run N-S and E-W in Iowa.
Great help in navigation.

Big John

Don't they run like that everywhere? When I got my training in Ohio, I
was never taught to use the furrow/fence lines in navigation, and I
never even noticed that they could be useful for such. Once I started
instructing in California, I happened to notice they can be really
helpful in navigating, and I now can't imagine trying to navigate
without them.

Not anywhere with mountains. Here in PA the fence lines are more random
and a function of terrain rather than magnetic direction.

Matt