Maybe Lithium batteries in gliders not quite such a good idea yet?

Old January 20th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

Default Maybe Lithium batteries in gliders not quite such a good idea yet?

Interesting.

This article:

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...gpainsxml.html

Has a Japanese safety investigator opining that it COULD BE overcharging that led to the event(s). Boeing and the US NTSB saying one thing, Japanese Safety Board saying "...not so fast." These batteries are so big, I'm wondering if there is the possibility of developing localized internal "hot spots" during charging that the sensors cannot detect that result in the explosions/fire? It seems too early to unequivocally state it is or is not one thing or another.

I'm a huge fan of Boeing products, having flown most of my career in them, but I am cynical enough to remember that according to Boeing, there wasn't anything wrong with the 737 rudder system either, but "we'll redesign it anyways".

There is a gigantic financial interest in seeing these things get flying again, ASAP.
Old January 21st 13, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

I love part about the former Securaplane employee who sued them,
claiming he was dismissed for raising concerns about their chargers:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90J06I20130121

I bet he is in demand at the moment ;-)
Old January 21st 13, 11:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Higgs

Some Aero-Modelers, who use Li-Poly batteries to power their aircraft,
leave ventilation space between adjacent cells to aid cooling.
Looking at the burnt out 787 battery pack, their cells don't seem to have
any ventilation space, and are just packed together. Maybe they don't
want a pathway for any fumes to get into the cabin, so make the unit as
sealed-up as possible.

phiggs

Old January 21st 13, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_12_]

We are testing a new battery that seems to be easy to use and safe. The weak link is the user who sometimes ignores instructions.

The battery must be tolerant of those who . . .

I'll be flying with the new battery in our Duo Discus at The Seniors contest in Florida.

Tom Knauff
Knauff & Grove Soaring Supplies

Lithium Batteries Orval Fairbairn[_2_] Piloting 21 October 17th 10 10:21 PM
LiPo Batteries in Gliders GM Soaring 36 March 1st 10 07:41 AM
Still interested in Lithium batteries for your glider? Eric Greenwell Soaring 5 March 5th 05 02:32 PM
Lithium technology batteries Ken Kochanski (KK) Soaring 24 December 25th 04 05:40 AM