Careless Linemen

Old May 27th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Careless Linemen

"FLAV8R" == FLAV8R writes:
FLAV8R That's a great idea and if you want to spend $19.95

Wow! I guess that's the TSO'd version.
Old May 27th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

And for the lineguys that fill the tanks properly...how 'bout a nice
tip? This topic came up a while ago, but I always try to remember to
tip them. As others have pointed out, their wage is lousy and a buck
or two doesn't hurt us pilots and is much appreciated by them.
Old May 27th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:26:15 -0700, Bob Fry wrote:

And for the lineguys that fill the tanks properly...how 'bout a nice
tip?

why? it is his job.

extra service (more than usual): I agree: tip him/her.

This topic came up a while ago, but I always try to remember to
tip them. As others have pointed out, their wage is lousy and a buck
or two doesn't hurt us pilots and is much appreciated by them.

so to give his boss an incentive to go on with the lousy pay?

If I do my job I only get my rate and no extras. If I do more than expected
then I happily accept a tip.

#m
--
Lost the phone number of a good friend? Don't know whom the kids called?
Don't worry any longer! Call 1-800-2NSA ... we are here to help you!
Old May 27th 06, 09:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Martin Hotze wrote:
If I do my job I only get my rate and no extras. If I do more than expected
then I happily accept a tip.

You should get *his* rate then. Do you work harder in your job?

You want to pay for substandard work, don't complain if you get it.
Irregardless of whether it's the FBO's decision to pay the poor slob slave
wages, it's the interaction between the lineman and your aircraft that matters.
You can stand by your principles and be a tight ass or you can be known on the
ramp as the guy who tips. Guess who'll end up getting the better service?

Right? Wrong? It doesn't matter. That's just the way it is.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old May 27th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I just refuel my own plane. I do have a plane that not all lineman have seen
so it usually doesn't take much convincing.

When I check in, I either ask for fuel right then and go back out and wait
for it or I tell them that I'll order the fuel when I get back. Either way,
I'm there for it.

As they drive up, I have the ground clip pulled out and clipped on before
they get out of their truck. As they are zeroing the counter and unwinding
the hose, I'm climbing on my plane so all they have to do is hand it to me.

I have only had two guys challenge me that it was against their policy for
them to let me fuel. In both cases, I simply said "I understand. Well I
guess unless you want to call your boss for an exception, that'll do it
then. Sorry to bring you out here for nothing." In both cases, they relented
and handed me the fuel nozzle.

In one of the above cases, the guy actually said it was against the law for
him to let me do the fueling. I didn't argue with him but I did say, "That
would be incorrect but I would believe that you have a company polciy
against it. Is that what you are thinking of?" He said, "Yea, Yea, that's
what I meant. Policy. Stupid policy. After all, it's your plane. Here you
go. You want me to get the windshield while your fueling?"

--
-------------------------------
Travis

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
nk.net...
Every owner probably handles things like this differently. I agree it can
be a real hassle when somebody puts a nice dent or ding on that nice new
Imron paint job you just forked out 10 grand for.
There are two scenarios involved with this type of thing; one at your home
field; the other on the road.
It's a lot easier to handle it on your home field. Just walk into the
flight office and very nicely but with some authority state quite clearly
exactly how you wish your airplane to be handled. If using a rag between a
hose nozzle and your paint is something you prefer, tell them.
I've done this for fifty years and never had a problem.
On the other hand, getting serviced at strange fields has it's risks.
Trust me I know :-)
You can always leave explicit instructions with the line office that
define any concerns you might have. Also, something I always did was to
have a prepared notice on a neatly done signboard that I left showing in
plain sight inside my canopy for the line people to see asking for rags
between metal at all times when servicing my airplane. This also served me
well through the years, as did the nice little pitot cover my wife made
for me out of red fabric with a nice lightning bolt sewn on both sides
with the following sewn into it........."DON'T TOUCH THIS. HIGH VOLTAGE"
:-))))
Worked like a charm!!!
Dudley Henriques

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
How do the rest of you deal with careless linemen? The kind who scratch
your airplane or chip the paint because they are either careless or have
not been properly trained on how to avoid damaging aircraft when
refueling 'em.

Case in point - this afternoon I stopped by the airport to prep for a
trip to the beach tomorrow. I grabbed a couple of maps and the handheld
gps from the airplane while the lineman was getting ready to fuel the
airplane. By the time I grabbed those things, the lineman had already
filled the left tank, and there was a brand spankin' new paint chip near
the fuel filler on the tank. How do I know it was brand new? Because I'd
just wiped off a nice collection of bugs from the airplane, and it wasn't
chipped then... Anyway, I eased over to see how he was coming with the
other tank, and he had the entire 10" long nozzle in the right tank and
was using a notch in the fuel nozzle's handle to catch the edge of the
fuel filler neck to provide a mechanical stop.

I say "hey, let me show you something" and show him that the sharp corner
of the casting is resting on the fuel filler. He pulls the nozzle out of
the tank, and there is a noticable mark on the paint where he was resting
the nozzle. He said he didn't realize he was doing that. I didn't point
out the new chip on the other wing, which I speculate was caused by
either the same technique, or the other technique I've seen many times,
where the lineman puts the nozzle into the tank at a 45 degree angle, and
the weight of the nozzle rests on the painted edge of the fuel filler.

This is my home airport, and the guy was nice enough, so I didn't make an
issue out of it, but it is really frustrating to have avoidable dings and
chips on your airplane when it costs $5k or $10k to have the thing
repainted...

BTW, self serve is not an option at my home field, which is why I usually
go elsewhere for fuel. That and the high prices that are caused by
having to pay the "fuel truck guy" to hang around the airport all day
long when there really isn't much fuel being sold...

Also, now that I'm giving this more thought, I need to see if the guy
dented the bottom of my fuel tanks by sticking the nozzle so far in
there... Sheesh...

Old May 27th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
How do the rest of you deal with careless linemen? The kind who scratch
your airplane or chip the paint

At a local FBO a couple of weeks ago, a lineperson towed a Katana into a
DA40, damaging the latter and just about destroying the former (it tilted
onto its nose, which was then crushed). Kinda makes you feel grateful to
have just a couple of scratches.

--Gary

Old May 27th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

kontiki wrote:
Talk to the FBO manager. It's his job to insure proper training of his
employees. Venting here may make you feel better but it won't get the
message to the right person.

Unless it's a facility that I am personally familiar with the
staff, I don't let them fuel the Navion. The fueling is
tricky on my plane. You can overflow the filler and still leave
the mains about 16 gallons short. The aux tank is a boobytrap
as well...unless you're used to the thing you'll dump a half
a gallon of fuel on yourself when it hits the top.
Old May 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 27 May 2006 08:56:33 GMT, Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

You can stand by your principles and be a tight ass or you can be known on the
ramp as the guy who tips. Guess who'll end up getting the better service?

well, tip every single time but once. What will happen? You're then short
before making excuses because you don't have tipped.

#m
Old May 27th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

And for the lineguys that fill the tanks properly...how 'bout a nice
tip? This topic came up a while ago, but I always try to remember to
tip them. As others have pointed out, their wage is lousy and a buck
or two doesn't hurt us pilots and is much appreciated by them.

I agree with you Bob. I tip the line guys all the time. As a
corporate pilot, I have found that tipping the line guys gets me
excellent service well beyond the standard toping off the tanks. At
the airports I frequent regularly, the guys will have ice, water and
whatever else already at my plane waiting even if I didn't ask for it.
They allow my boss's car to stay inside the gated area of the airport
when we leave and when we get back, not only is it washed on the
outside, which I see a lot of FBO's provide this service, but they
have also detailed the inside of it as well. When we land, they
usually have his car and a cart sitting beside the plane before I
hardly get a chance to shut it down and I don't even call on UNICOM to
let them know I am coming. The boss likes this and it makes me look
good to, because he knows that I am taking care of him which I feel
provides me with a little more job security.

Scott D.

take out the obvious to email me
Old May 27th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Actually, in Oregon, it IS against the law to fuel your own airplane. Can't
fuel your own car either.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG