What is the range of the B-1B?

Old November 27th 03, 05:16 AM
user

Default What is the range of the B-1B?

Easy, the endurance of the crew!!! I know there is no such thing as a
stupid question,,,except that one! The only mechanical limiting
factors would be servicing the consumables, (oil, oxygen, hydraulics,
etc..)just like any inflight refueling capable aircraft.

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:04:56 -0800, Hobo wrote:

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

Old November 27th 03, 05:41 AM
PosterBoy

"Hobo" wrote in message

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

One source lists it as 7,239 miles (unrefueled). Another has it at 7,455
miles (urf).
If I had to make an educated guess, I'd subtract the former from the
latter, add half the result to the former and estimate 2,347 miles
(urf)...then sit back and wait for the ARs to point out a math error!!!!

Cheers.

Old November 27th 03, 08:50 AM
Ragnar

"Hobo" wrote in message

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

Its air refuellable. Range is no longer relevant.

Old November 27th 03, 09:50 AM
SA

"Hobo" skrev i en meddelelse

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

According to the "B-1B Factbook" by Rockwell International, the range is
bestween 4425NM and 9466NM depending on payload, mission profile and tanker
support. 4425NM is for at ACM standoff mission, all at high level, with 16
ACM and no tanker support. The 9466NM is for a conventional mission with a
High-Low-High profile and 56 Mk-82 and KC-10 tanker support.

The factbook can be found on the B-1 page on www.fas.org.

Regards
Søren Augustesen

Old November 27th 03, 10:28 AM
Bjørnar

"Ragnar" wrote in :
"Hobo" wrote in message

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

Its air refuellable. Range is no longer relevant.

Wouldn't you agree that, althought perhaps not as significantly
for long-range aircraft, dependency on inflight refueling is
very relevant?

Regards...
Old November 27th 03, 11:24 AM
Ragnar

"Bjørnar" wrote in message
"Ragnar" wrote in :
"Hobo" wrote in message

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

Its air refuellable. Range is no longer relevant.

Wouldn't you agree that, althought perhaps not as significantly
for long-range aircraft, dependency on inflight refueling is
very relevant?

Perhaps, but it is irrelevant in the context of the original question.

Old November 27th 03, 06:26 PM
robert arndt

"SA" wrote in message . dk...
"Hobo" skrev i en meddelelse

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

According to the "B-1B Factbook" by Rockwell International, the range is
bestween 4425NM and 9466NM depending on payload, mission profile and tanker
support. 4425NM is for at ACM standoff mission, all at high level, with 16
ACM and no tanker support. The 9466NM is for a conventional mission with a
High-Low-High profile and 56 Mk-82 and KC-10 tanker support.

The factbook can be found on the B-1 page on www.fas.org.

Regards
Søren Augustesen

With standard fuel load, according to:

"International Directory of Military Aircraft 2002/2003"- 6,475 NM*

"Pocket Guide to Military Aircraft"- 7,455 miles

"Janes Recognition Guide" (latest edition)- 6,475 NM

"Aircraft of the World Complete Guide"- 7,239 miles

"Directory of Military Aircraft of the World"- 7,455 miles

*Int. NM= 1.150779 statue miles= 7,451 miles

I think it is safe to say that the 7,455 miles figure is correct.

Rob
Old November 27th 03, 07:25 PM
Leslie Swartz

Not if you're the United States of America, it isn't.

Sorry about that; but true.

Steve Swartz

Old November 30th 03, 01:57 AM
BUFDRVR

I think the range of the B-1B is supposed to be classified, but does
anyone have any educated guesses?

Its air refuellable. Range is no longer relevant.

Uhh, yes it is, very much so. The less tankers an airframe uses the easier the
air campaign planning and execution goes.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old November 30th 03, 02:00 AM
BUFDRVR

Wouldn't you agree that, althought perhaps not as significantly
for long-range aircraft, dependency on inflight refueling is
very relevant?

Not if you're the United States of America, it isn't.

Why is that? Do we have unlimited tankers? How about unlimited ramp space to
put our tankers? I've got news for you, the OIF air campaign was driven solely
by tankers. Not bombs, bombers or fighters, but tankers, how many and where.

Sorry about that; but true.

You're wrong.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Long range Wx Paul kgyy Instrument Flight Rules 4 December 31st 04 04:25 PM
Fuel Range Toks Desalu Home Built 2 November 14th 03 12:51 PM
PK of Igla vs. airliner? Raptor Military Aviation 73 September 24th 03 10:54 PM
Long Range Spitfires??? ArtKramr Military Aviation 3 September 9th 03 10:05 PM
Helicopter gun at LONG range Gordon Military Aviation 17 August 20th 03 02:14 AM