Reality of Tie Down (Tiedown) Space at SNA

Old May 6th 04, 01:51 AM
Tie Town

Default Reality of Tie Down (Tiedown) Space at SNA

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information available on the web
(first time for everything) with regard to tie down space in SoCal
(specifically SNA). What is the best way to go about this. I know
there is a waiting list as long as my arm (or longer). But I've also
been told that many people are on the list simply get the spot and
sub-lease it. If this is true, where do I find these people?

I also know a T-hangar is impossible... but there must be some way to
get space (for a single) at at SNA... even if it is twice or three
times the normal price. No?

I guess I've come across a major problem that I never thought about
before.
Old May 6th 04, 07:43 AM
Larry Dighera

On 5 May 2004 17:51:44 -0700, (Tie Town) wrote in
There doesn't seem to be a lot of information available on the web
(first time for everything) with regard to tie down space in SoCal
(specifically SNA). What is the best way to go about this.

Contact Ms. Rose Reddick, KSNA Tiedown Administration: (949) 252-5258.

You might also consider Long Beach, Fullerton and Corona.

I know there is a waiting list as long as my arm (or longer).

My experience has been that there is tiedown space available on the
west side, but that was several years ago. There is a virtually
interminable wait for hangars for the reason you cite below.

But I've also been told that many people are on the list simply get
the spot and sub-lease it. If this is true, where do I find these people?

Sublet hangar space was available last time I inquired
(~$550.00/month). Look for ads in the local newspapers, airport rags,
bulletin boards located at entrance gates and FBOs, and banners on the
highway side of hangars along Campus Drive. I believe Martin Aviation
also leases hangar space along Airway Avenue on the west side.

The hangar waiting list is hopeless unless more hangars are
constructed. The person at the head of the list has been in that
position since 1983. The county hangar rent is so low, that existing
leases are seldom terminated.

I also know a T-hangar is impossible... but there must be some way to
get space (for a single) at at SNA... even if it is twice or three
times the normal price. No?

Try posting a note on the bulletin boards (and other sources mentioned
above) for someone willing to allow you to share the hangar with his
biz jet. It's usually possible to tuck a 4-place in with them.

I guess I've come across a major problem that I never thought about
before.

If I recall correctly, Newport Jet Center only charges $5/nite for
transient parking. I would expect Signature's rate to be similar.

Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Hubble plug to be pulled John Carrier Military Aviation 33 March 19th 04 04:19 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM
OT (sorta): Bush Will Announce New Space Missions Dav1936531 Military Aviation 0 January 9th 04 10:34 AM
Strategic Command Missions Rely on Space Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 09:59 PM