hx 4700 storage

Old May 12th 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Default hx 4700 storage

Ipaqs batteries run down pretty quickly even when switched
off. If I unlock an hx4700 battery without removing
it (by flicking the left hand battery lock switch on
the base of the unit to the right) then unit seem to
switch off fully allowing the main battery to stay
charged. The back-up battery doesn't seem to run down
over several days either.

Is this common practice or are there any adverse consequences
that I haven't yet encountered?

John Galloway

Old May 16th 07, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen

"John Galloway" wrote in message
Ipaqs batteries run down pretty quickly even when switched
off. If I unlock an hx4700 battery without removing
it (by flicking the left hand battery lock switch on
the base of the unit to the right) then unit seem to
switch off fully allowing the main battery to stay
charged. The back-up battery doesn't seem to run down
over several days either.

Is this common practice or are there any adverse consequences
that I haven't yet encountered?

John Galloway

My hx4700 can go a couple of weeks without a charge even with occasional use
(but not a gliding application). Are you sure that you're shutting down
SeeYou, Winpilot or whatever you use? I'm told that leaving these running
will drain the batteries because the serial port remains powered.

On the other hand, perhaps your battery is past it's best.

I'd be a bit cautious about relying on the standby battery. If that goes
flat then it's a complete reload of applications and data.

Stephen

Old May 16th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I read this posting and decided to test my hx4700. I usually leave it
plugged in.

I turned it off my making sure no programs were running and then using
the on/off button on the top right edge. After four days (since the
original posting) the battery says it has 94% charge remaining.

I think you have a bad battery or you are not really turning the unit
off.

Guy

Old May 16th 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer
in my original posting. I have 2 hx4700s, both with
good batteries and regularly backed up on SD cards.
I have no day to day problem with them going flat
and usually keep the main on charge between flights
and the back-up on charge permanently.

I noticed by chance that if the left battery catch
is unlocked that they seem to stop using power completely.
I have been leaving one like that for the last 10
days or so and have just powered it up to check and
both main and back-up batteries are reading 100% charge.
On powering up they seem to do a soft reset (I think)
but all settings are saved as far as I can see. I
am not sure exactly what state they are in with the
battery unlocked but they don't seem to drain the back-up
battery - so far.

John Galloway

IPAQ 4700/4705 Doug LS4 Soaring 9 January 31st 06 01:01 PM
New iPAQ 4700 Paul Remde Soaring 2 October 9th 04 11:06 PM
risky storage? R.Hubbell General Aviation 3 February 11th 04 07:17 AM
Battery storage? Roger Long Owning 10 January 14th 04 02:35 PM
103 Storage BTIZ Soaring 3 November 18th 03 12:47 AM