Bob Buck - End of an era today

Old May 23rd 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Bob Buck - End of an era today

May 23, 2007
Aviation Expert, Author Robert N. Buck Passes Away

By Chad Trautvetter, Editor in Chief

Aviation weather and safety consultant/author and retired TWA captain
Robert N. Buck, 93, recently passed away in Berlin, Vt. He started
flying at age 15 and set a New York to Los Angeles speed record before
reaching his 16th birthday. By his 20th birthday, he broke an altitude
record for light airplanes and became the first person to take aerial
photographs of ancient ruins of the Yucatán. Buck had flown the
Atlantic more than 2,000 times during his airline career with TWA. He
was also a consultant to four FAA Administrators and airlines on many
aspects of aviation safety, and was the author of "The Art of Flying,"
"Flying Know-How" and "Weather Flying." Buck continued to fly a
Schleicher ASW-20 sailplane well into his 80s. [more] Pilots revere
his books because they are easy to read and engaging, even though they
cover complex subjects. In "Weather Flying," Buck succinctly starts,
"Weather bothers our flying in a few basic ways. It prevents us from
seeing; it bounces us around to the extent that it may be difficult to
keep the airplane under control and in one piece; and ice, wind, or
large temperature variations may reduce the airplane's performance to
a serious degree. That's what weather does...we fight weather in order
to see, to keep our aircraft under control, and to get the best and
safest performance from an aircraft. The question is, 'How?'"

Old May 25th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P. Corbett

This man's book, Weather Flying, was one of my favorites and probably
saved my life more than once. Thanks Bob.

Paul
ZZ

Old May 25th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Strachan

On May 23, 7:00 pm, " wrote:
May 23, 2007
Aviation Expert, Author Robert N. Buck Passes Away

By Chad Trautvetter, Editor in Chief

Aviation weather and safety consultant/author and retired TWA captain
Robert N. Buck, 93, recently passed away in Berlin, Vt.

I slaute the memory of an aviation pioneer. Bob and I used to have
spirited discussions at International Gliding Commission meetings when
he was USA delegate and I was UK delegate.

Bob was always looking for improvements in international sailplane
design standards and, although he and I disagreed about how these
should be applied to the Standard Class, out of this came the 15 metre
class that allowed design freedom (which is what Bob wanted) within
the span limit.

And many other things, of course, in Bob's highly distinguished and
long aviation career.

Several times he invited me to stay at his estate in Vermont, but
cautioned about the "Vermont winter" which I understand is a bit
different to that in southern England. To my regret, I never made a
stay in Vermont. My loss, of course.

I also salute the passing of a Gentleman.

Ian Strachan
Lasham Gliding Centre, UK

Old June 5th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Batesole

Bob was a great guy and a man who loved to soar. I would like to add that
his most recent book, "North Star Over My Shoulder" is an excellent read
that I'm sure many of you will enjoy.