Aviation GPS enabled map software for PC?

Old November 17th 05, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

Default Aviation GPS enabled map software for PC?

Sorry if I get some of the terms and such wrong, my dad is a pilot
not me. I'm researching some options for him though, since I'm the
IT guy.

My dad has a GPS already, he'd like to know if there is PC map
software which is aviation oriented, and/or supports Jeppesen data
rather then buy a new aviation specific GPS?

thank you!
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
Old November 17th 05, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

,

My dad has a GPS already, he'd like to know if there is PC map
software which is aviation oriented, and/or supports Jeppesen data
rather then buy a new aviation specific GPS?

The one-step answer is: Look into PocketFMS,
www.pocketfms.com

Some thoughts, though: Is it really practical for him to have a PC in
the cockpit? Consider space, display visibility in bright sunlight and
battery running time.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 17th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

Thomas Borchert wrote:
,

My dad has a GPS already, he'd like to know if there is PC map
software which is aviation oriented, and/or supports Jeppesen data
rather then buy a new aviation specific GPS?

The one-step answer is: Look into PocketFMS,
www.pocketfms.com

Some thoughts, though: Is it really practical for him to have a PC in
the cockpit? Consider space, display visibility in bright sunlight and
battery running time.

Flights over 10k' (hard drive issues)...
Old November 17th 05, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
news
Thomas Borchert wrote:
,

My dad has a GPS already, he'd like to know if there is PC map software
which is aviation oriented, and/or supports Jeppesen data rather then
buy a new aviation specific GPS?

The one-step answer is: Look into PocketFMS,
www.pocketfms.com

Some thoughts, though: Is it really practical for him to have a PC in the
cockpit? Consider space, display visibility in bright sunlight and
battery running time.

Flights over 10k' (hard drive issues)...

I was concerned about the 10k limit but that is 10k at 131F. Figure the
density altitude and you are ok until the point where you will require
oxygen.

Old November 18th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.products

Daniel L. Lieberman wrote:

Flights over 10k' (hard drive issues)...

I was concerned about the 10k limit but that is 10k at 131F. Figure the
density altitude and you are ok until the point where you will require
oxygen.

Do a web search on it, high altitude causes the drive heads to crash
onto the platter. If you have ramdisc or removable media storage it
shouldn't be an issue if you can shut the harddrive down or run without
one...
Old November 18th 05, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.products

"Darrel Toepfer" wrote in message
. ..
Daniel L. Lieberman wrote:

Flights over 10k' (hard drive issues)...

I was concerned about the 10k limit but that is 10k at 131F. Figure the
density altitude and you are ok until the point where you will require
oxygen.

Do a web search on it, high altitude causes the drive heads to crash onto
the platter. If you have ramdisc or removable media storage it shouldn't
be an issue if you can shut the harddrive down or run without one...

I discussed the matter with FUjitsu who makes my tablet. The issue is
reduced air pressure which reduces the ability of the heads to float above
the disk.
That being said some manufacturers are working to improve the drives BUT
those for my machine are rated at 10k feet at 131F and that is higher than
you can go without supplemental oxygen.

Being conservative I agree with you so I have 2 gigs of ram and can use the
Powersaving features to shut the drive and just use ram.

I wonder if anyone here has actually had a failure.

Old November 18th 05, 10:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.products

Thomas Borchert wrote:
,

My dad has a GPS already, he'd like to know if there is PC map
software which is aviation oriented, and/or supports Jeppesen data
rather then buy a new aviation specific GPS?

The one-step answer is: Look into PocketFMS,
www.pocketfms.com

Some thoughts, though: Is it really practical for him to have a PC in
the cockpit? Consider space, display visibility in bright sunlight and
battery running time.

I agree. It's free, but there are crippling (slow) map download issues.
For US$60 you cn become a donor and get the appropriate mappack of
upgraded maps and near real time update of the avdata - well worth it.

I was buying an iPAQ HX4700 anyway so the cost was minimal. A bluetooth
GPS at about $100 and you have a pretty good aviation, high resolution
moving map system with embedded flight planning, w&B and anything else
you might want to stuff on it. The PC version also works well (but not
something I'd want in the aircraft). Try www.plamflying.com for a host
of other useful and often free aviation related software utilities.

Cheers,
kevin
Old November 18th 05, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.products

Daniel L. Lieberman wrote:

[...]

Keep in mind that pressurized cabins put you at about the same altitude.
After a year of flights with my laptop running, I ended up having to
replace the drive. This was also after many flights in GA aircraft below
10k'... I wonder if Fujitsu wants my dead drives?

The internals of a laptop easily put it above your max temp spec...
Old November 19th 05, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.products

"Daniel L. Lieberman" writes:

I wonder if anyone here has actually had a failure.

I had a couple drives go bad after using them during my Indiana-California
flights. Could have just been a coincidence though.

--kyler