What will user fees do to small towered airports

Old March 7th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default What will user fees do to small towered airports

I am wondering what user fees will do my local airport. ORH (Worcester
Regional Airport) is a towered airport with four commercial flights
*WEEKLY*. Needless to say, the airport is struggling.

If user fees go into effect, will each take-off and landing incur a user
fee?

There are ten uncontrolled fields within 25 miles of ORH. My guess is that
the piston singles currently based in Worcester will depart for one of the
others.

When I was training, I remember doing 20 touch and gos one day. What would
that have cost me?

I suspect once the traffic is gone, the tower will go too, but that will be
too late.

Anyone have any insight on this?

Old March 8th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I have not seen any charge rates yet for tower or IFR operations.. maybe
someone else has?
We'll just have to wait and see how they divy up the users charge.

BT

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
In article DqePf.5119$ci1.162@trndny08,

says...

When I was training, I remember doing 20 touch and gos one day. What

would
that have cost me?

$0. Landing fees are not usually charged for aircraft based at a field.

But each take-off was an operation, as was each landing. As I understand
it,
user fees will be based on ATC usage, meaning these 20 tough and gos were
40
uses of ATC.

What type of aircraft are the four "commercial" flights?

MD-80

If they are charged for the service, at least the tower at your airport

can
claim they are bringing *something* into the system, instead of just

costing
money, the way it is now.

It really depends on what type of accounting mentality accompanies the
proposed fee structure. The simple fact of bringing some more revenue
into
the system is not in itself going to cause reductions in service, but if
there is an accounting structure that evaluates towers to see which are

not
"pulling their own weight" then that's different.

I think the fees will scare off the piston single traffic, which currently
makes up the bulk of the operations.

GF

Old March 8th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-07, Steve Foley wrote:
Anyone have any insight on this?

The way it works here is that you (usually) don't pay any fees if you're
based at that airport. It's only visiting aircraft that pays landing
fees. Light GA doesn't pay any en-route fees at all.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 8th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
says...

Old March 8th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
says...

But each take-off was an operation, as was each landing. As I understand it,
user fees will be based on ATC usage, meaning these 20 tough and gos were 40
uses of ATC.

Never heard of landing fees for based aircraft.

GF

Old March 8th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-08, Greg Farris wrote:
Even IFR?

Even IFR. There are currently no charges if your aircraft has an MTOW of
less than 2000kg (about 4100lbs).

Old March 8th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2006-03-08, Greg Farris wrote:
Well, at least there's some silver lining in the UK!!
I have a friend there who tells me he rents a C-172 wet for £200/hr -
that's almost $400!! Please tell me he's confused.

He may well do, I don't know. We pay less than half of that for a
Grumman Cheetah on tach hours (a much more fun plane to fly). It's still
too much though.

--
Dylan Smith, Port St Mary, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Website for young pilot flying the small airports in 48 states Dan Piloting 1 July 4th 04 07:54 PM
Small Aircraft Transportation System (SATS) first practical trial Larry Dighera Piloting 0 November 27th 03 04:11 PM
Order your FREE Small Blue Planet Toys Christmas Catalog before Oct 20th! Small Blue Planet Toys Aviation Marketplace 0 October 15th 03 05:26 PM
fatal bird strike StellaStar Piloting 9 July 13th 03 09:41 PM
Small Blue Planet Toys goes Postal !! Economy Shipping Options now availalble Small Blue Planet Toys Aviation Marketplace 0 July 11th 03 04:00 PM