Instrument Services Needed

Old May 11th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cherkus

Default Instrument Services Needed

Hi,

I am looking for someone who services glider instruments.
I need the following things done:
- Compass refloated
- Accelerometer rebuilt
- RICO 2 seat variometer tested and calibrated

If you or someone you know can do these things, please
follow up here and/or send me contact info at
.

Thanks,
Dave
Old May 11th 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
raulb

Not knowing where you are located, but one choice is Otto's
Instruments, in Ontario, California (across the airport from where the
SSA Convention was held).

Also, I believe that Redwood Instruments (RICO) is still in business
somewhere in the San Francisco Bay/Northern California Area

Old May 12th 07, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FreeFlight107

On May 11, 6:44 pm, David Cherkus wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for someone who services glider instruments.
I need the following things done:
- Compass refloated
- Accelerometer rebuilt
- RICO 2 seat variometer tested and calibrated

If you or someone you know can do these things, please
follow up here and/or send me contact info at
.

Thanks,
Dave

RICO apparently retired, he was active a few years ago and had a nice
little web site, no more.

I refurbished a RICO SEAT like you have, baut after using it one
season I decided to get a Tasman as all my friends had switched to
them. It is the best Vario I've ever used! See http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/tasman.htm
I'd really recomend getting one compared to the verry old technogoly
RICO. It's faster and the tones are very easy to understnd. Very low
current drain too.

Freeflight Wayne

Old May 12th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

FreeFlight107 wrote:
[...]

Tasman is a good alternative. Support is good, so far totally reliable in club
use - That means 30+ winch launches, and landing on rough grass, a day. 2 years
and hundreds of flights later, reliability has been perfect.

I have one in my Cirrus and have been quite satisfied. Audio tones are
different, and not entirely to my liking, but do work. Built in averager is very
useful. I generally don't look in the cockpit except for a once a turn or so to
see what the averager says.
Visibility - even with polarised sunglasses is good. The LCD indicator has lower
"resolution" than a moving needle, but is also not subject to zero errors etc.
Does not seem to be affected by heat and sunlight. Have on occasion left the
Cirrus baking in the sun for hours - turn it on and it all works, LCD included.
The speaker is powerful, so you can use a lot of battery if you are hard of
hearing. Mine is seldom above 1 on a scale of 1-5 for volume.