Cessna 206

Old June 26th 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Caki

Default Cessna 206

What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.
So I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with these
information.

Thanks!

Old June 26th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 6/26/2007 4:13:43 PM, "Caki" wrote:

What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.

_Plane and Pilot_ had an article this month (or was it last month?) that
showcased the newer turbo C206. In that article I recall reading that fuel
burn was around 19 gallons per hour, which is significantly higher than the
9.5 gallons per hour of a newer model C172.

--
Peter
Old June 26th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_11_]

My guess would be around twice the cost of a C-172, per hour. Twice the
horsepower, twice the fuel burn, twice the insurance, twice the
maintenance, twice? the purchase price.

However, the cost per mile or per pound of cargo would be less than
twice the C-172 price. Which cost do you want to know?

It's useful to know recall rules of thumb.

The first is that fuel burn is 0.5 lb/hp/hr. For an IO-520 at 285 hp
running at 70% power, that's about 16.6 gal/hour.

The second is that fuel costs are 1/3 total costs. This rule may
overstate costs when fuel prices rise quickly, as they recently have.

-John

Old June 26th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Caki wrote:
What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.
So I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with these
information.

It seems to me that the normally aspirated C-206 I flew years ago burned about
18 gph in the climb and leaned out to about 13.5 - 15 gph in cruise at optimal
altitudes (6-8k).

The fuel and power settings ought to be identical to the C-210's... speed a
little slower; load a little greater.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old June 26th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 26, 1:13 pm, "Caki" wrote:
What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.
So I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with these
information.

Thanks!

In the 206 you are paying a lot of the ability to haul more load
(bigger engine, more fuel, higher insurance, etc). Unless your mission
includes hauling a lot of people/stuff I would not be looking at a
206.

-Robert

Old June 26th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:13:41 +0200, "Caki" wrote in
:

And how much fuel does it burns?

With 88 gallons useable, you should be able to figure that out from
the specifications on the Cessna web site (I get 17.8 GPH at 75%
power):

http://stationair.cessna.com/spec_perf.chtml

All information herein applies to the Stationair (Model 206H).

The Stationair is an all-metal, six place, high-wing,
single-engine airplane equipped with tricycle landing gear and is
designed for general utility purposes.

The Model 206H is certified to the requirements of U.S. FAA
Federal Aviation Regulation Part 23 through amendment 23-6,
including day, night, VFR and IFR.

Cruise -- 75% power at 6,200 ft *
range 594 nm
time 4.2 hr

Cruise -- Maximum range at 6,500 ft *
range 721 nm
time 6.7 hr

Engine: Textron Lycoming IO-540-AC1A
300 BHP at 2,700 RPM

Landing Performance
Ground roll 735 ft
Total distance over 50 ft obstacle 1,395 ft

Power Loading 12.0 lb/hp

Propeller: 3-Bladed Constant Speed diameter
3-Bladed Constant Speed diameter 79 in

Rate of Climb at Sea Level 988 fpm

Service Ceiling 15,700 ft

Speed
Maximum at sea level 151 kts
Cruise, 75% power at 6,200 ft 142 kts

Stall Speed, KCAS
Flaps up, power off 62 knots
Flaps down, power off 54 knots

Takeoff Performance
Ground roll 910 ft
Total distance over 50 ft obstacle 1,860 ft

Wing Loading 20.7 lb/sq ft

* Recommended lean mixture with fuel allowance for engine start,
taxi, takeoff, climb and 45-minute reserve) 88 gallons usable fuel
Old June 27th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Caki" wrote in message
What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.
So I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with these
information.

Thanks!

http://www.planequest.com/operationc...info.asp?id=78

Crash Lander
--
http://straightandlevel1973.spaces.live.com/
I'm not always right,

Old June 27th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_11_]

The planequest page is an interesting one, and the listing is relatively
complete, but it's odd that they are completely wrong on the one budget
item that's the easiest to get right!

They give the C-206 fuel burn as 10 gal/hour!

All the other numbers seem more reasonable, though unlike the fuel burn,
they are mostly speculation. Who knows whether an engine will make TBO?
Who knows when a new AD will come out?

Unless one rents a plane or has some guaranteed spinner to tailcone
maintenance contract, I think it's impossible to predict airplane
expenses to better than 10-20%.

-John

Old June 27th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

On 2007-06-26 13:13:41 -0700, "Caki" said:

What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.
So I would be very grateful if someone could provide me with these
information.

Thanks!

Fuel cost is the biggest difference. I plan on burning 14 gph with a
normal 206; 15-17 gph with a turbo. A 172 burns 8 or 9 gph. The 206 is
faster, but not quite fast enough to make up for the difference.

An annual for a 206 is likely to cost somewhat more than a 172, but not
enough to make a huge difference in operational cost. It depends on how
well you take care of it.

The other big difference is engine overhaul. A 206 overhaul costs about
1.5 times what a 172 overhaul costs. The prop costs a lot more to
maintain and overhaul in a 206 than does a 172 and it is more prone to
problems simply because of its complexity.

The 206 tends to have more expensive avionics, with a greater cost in upkeep.

Hull insurance for a 206 will be higher simply because it is a more
expensive airplane.

I think the 206 is actually a little easier to fly than the 172, but
that is a personal opinion.
--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old June 27th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 26, 2:09 pm, "Peter R." wrote:
On 6/26/2007 4:13:43 PM, "Caki" wrote:

What is operational cost for cessna 206? Is it much more expensive then
c172? And how much fuel does it burns?
Tried to find those information but I can't.

_Plane and Pilot_ had an article this month (or was it last month?) that
showcased the newer turbo C206. In that article I recall reading that fuel
burn was around 19 gallons per hour, which is significantly higher than the
9.5 gallons per hour of a newer model C172.

--
Peter

9.5 is higher than older C-172s. I heard that the new C-172's run a
nuetered IO-360, is that true?

-Robert

Cessna BRS Skyman1957 Home Built 29 May 1st 07 11:22 AM
Cessna 182 [email protected] General Aviation 0 April 15th 07 01:39 AM
cessna 180 [email protected] Piloting 1 August 4th 06 06:59 PM
WTB Cessna 402 POH ecktoeman Aviation Marketplace 1 September 17th 03 04:54 AM
Cessna 172/152 Ron Natalie Aviation Marketplace 1 August 28th 03 12:52 AM