**Attention** FS2004 Water Effects Slider is backwards

Old August 8th 03, 09:02 PM
Anders Lassen

Right...

Let me just contribute to the general confusion about this:

I couldn't see any reflections in the water the first couple of days I used
FS04 - no matter how I set the sliders. Then I scanned a local (danish)
newsgroup.

One guy wrote, that in order to really see the water reflections, you had to
go to "international settings" and change it from "Danish" to "English
(US)".

This sounded as the most far out thing I had ever heard - but I tried it -
and it worked! Now I have really cool reflections and it really doesn't
affect framerate much!

Only thing that really confuses me now is that I used to get the best
fraerates in fullscreen mode. Now, I get rates of 20-25 fps in Windows
mode - but only 10-15 fps in fullscreen. (resolution: 1280x1024 in both
views.

Any good explanations here?

Anders
Denmark

System:
AMD 1200
512 Mb
Nividia Ti4200 128 MB

"Worrybird" skrev i en meddelelse
.net...
The FS2004 Water Effects Slider works backwards.

Wait until you see what it is supposed to look like, its really an
astounding effect!

To get the effect: Options - Settings - Display

Max out the Terrain detail: land & water (all the way to the right)
Water effects: None (all the way to the left)

Go flying and bring your bathing suit.

Old August 8th 03, 11:00 PM
Brett Holcomb

But are your drivers DX9 compliant?

Eddie wrote:

"pr" wrote in message
ds.com...
Katy ) wrote:

It's not backwards, let me explain again:

I have a feeling you are going to be doing this a lot over the next few
months.

at the highest setting the
water effect needs DX8 compliant video hardware to turn on the
bump-mapping effect, creating a sort of 3-D waves on the water
surface...

Hmmm.. I am pretty sure I am running DX8-complient video hardware, what
with a Radeon 8700 Pro card on board, yet I do not see any special
effects with the slider to the right. Perhaps this does work with the
right sim or driver settings but I have not taken the time to experiment
with the unlimited display permutations.

Nice effect but requires tremendous resources, after
looking at it a while I turned it off to keep performance even, the
usual FS2002 shimmering effect of water is good enough :-)

Very good.

--
Peter

I'm using DX9 complaint hardware!

Eddie

--
Brett I. Holcomb

Microsoft MVP
AKA Grunt
Remove R777 to email
Old August 13th 03, 09:45 PM
Rickenbacker

I'm not sure why this is happening, but the water does indeed look better
with the slider at zero. Perhaps this is because my 3D-card doesn't do
DirectX 9 stuff...